Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need help figuring out what button keeps making me walk backwards on its own

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Need help figuring out what button keeps making me walk backwards on its own

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Cambolini
02.24.2013 , 05:27 PM | #21
I've had this happen on some games before - Some keyboards/computers have some kind of 'double-tap' programming, so if you press W twice, it auto-locks or something.

For this kind of technical help, you haven't supplied enough information to us to help you.
You need to work through a process of elimination - what were you doing when it happened?
Are you a key-presser or a mouse-clicker?
Do you use the default movement buttons (WASD etc)?
Do you have custom keybinds?
Do you press a certain button-ability/keybind which is close to the S button?
If you find that you always walk backwards on your own when your character performs a triple-backward lightsaber twinkle, then see if you happen to also be nudging another button.

The fact that your keyboard mechanism was replaced recently could also be the issue.
How long ago was it replaced? Has the problem only been happening since then? Have you tried updating or rolling back the keyboard drivers? Are you sure there isn't a bit of dirt or food under the S key which could be causing the fault.

kniite
02.25.2013 , 02:26 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Cambolini View Post
I've had this happen on some games before - Some keyboards/computers have some kind of 'double-tap' programming, so if you press W twice, it auto-locks or something.

For this kind of technical help, you haven't supplied enough information to us to help you.
You need to work through a process of elimination - what were you doing when it happened?
Are you a key-presser or a mouse-clicker?
Do you use the default movement buttons (WASD etc)?
Do you have custom keybinds?
Do you press a certain button-ability/keybind which is close to the S button?
If you find that you always walk backwards on your own when your character performs a triple-backward lightsaber twinkle, then see if you happen to also be nudging another button.

The fact that your keyboard mechanism was replaced recently could also be the issue.
How long ago was it replaced? Has the problem only been happening since then? Have you tried updating or rolling back the keyboard drivers? Are you sure there isn't a bit of dirt or food under the S key which could be causing the fault.
I have tested it, it is not a double tap keyboard.
Seems like it happens whenever im in combat.
I am a key presser but I use a razer naga mouse for shift 1 through =.
I use the default WASD to move.
My custom keybinds are shift 1 through =, 1 through =, shift c , f.
I dont press any ability close to the S button that would make me press it without knowing.
It doesnt happen with a triple backflip thing, it just happens during normal fights when im using any moves.
Keyboard was replaced a few months ago.
Had the problem way before the keyboard was replaced.
My drivers are 100% up to date.
There is nothing under my keys I clean my laptop thoroughly.

Wizard_Thoarin
02.25.2013 , 03:07 AM | #23
you may have a fairly common problem with Windows due to their ease of access features for disabled users. The short story is that there is a strange way the Auto Repeat function in the Ease of Use features can get turned on by accident. You have to press a single key so many times fairly quickly, I don't remember how many times but I've seen it happen before. Anyway, do a Google search for Windows Ease of Access turn off Auto Repeat and you should find a walk through that might fix your problem. Sorry, I don't remember all the steps just that its part of the Ease of Access features... and the steps you have to do may very depending on which version of Windows you are using.
Wizards First Rule: People are Stupid

kniite
02.25.2013 , 05:49 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Wizard_Thoarin View Post
you may have a fairly common problem with Windows due to their ease of access features for disabled users. The short story is that there is a strange way the Auto Repeat function in the Ease of Use features can get turned on by accident. You have to press a single key so many times fairly quickly, I don't remember how many times but I've seen it happen before. Anyway, do a Google search for Windows Ease of Access turn off Auto Repeat and you should find a walk through that might fix your problem. Sorry, I don't remember all the steps just that its part of the Ease of Access features... and the steps you have to do may very depending on which version of Windows you are using.
Ok...wow. So I found this guide : http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_turn_off...rd_repeat.html , pretty much works for all windows versions, i have windows 8 and this is a windows 7 guide and i found it easy enough. I did have auto repeat on, I am about to play a few warzones and see if this was the problem. I will cross my fingers that this is the problem and will let you guys know

Doel
02.25.2013 , 06:35 AM | #25
I have this happening on a daily basis and since the game launched. I fight, need to walk sidewards, back or forward and the key behaves as if being pressed permanently but it isn't.

I'm on PC, using an USB Keyboard from Logitech. Updating drivers brought no help, btw. No problems to report in other games/MMOs. It's just in tor.

Mostly it happens to me in my class quests fights, occasionally in the open world fights too. On my smuggler I died many deaths because of this incredible bug. Luckily, like a few here suggested, I finally found this workaround with unbinding/reassigning the key in question once the bug hits. Meanwhile, I usually hope my pet doesn't die .

My husband is suffering from the same bug. However, he suffers from motion sickness and when he's being hit with the 'turn left and run too' bug, he really becomes severe problems. Usually he kills off the game quickly. If he's out of combat he used to log out and back in, which solved the problem as well.

In general I wish this bug would be finally fixed. The game is over a year old.

kniite
02.25.2013 , 06:41 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Doel View Post
I have this happening on a daily basis and since the game launched. I fight, need to walk sidewards, back or forward and the key behaves as if being pressed permanently but it isn't.

I'm on PC, using an USB Keyboard from Logitech. Updating drivers brought no help, btw. No problems to report in other games/MMOs. It's just in tor.

Mostly it happens to me in my class quests fights, occasionally in the open world fights too. On my smuggler I died many deaths because of this incredible bug. Luckily, like a few here suggested, I finally found this workaround with unbinding/reassigning the key in question once the bug hits. Meanwhile, I usually hope my pet doesn't die .

My husband is suffering from the same bug. However, he suffers from motion sickness and when he's being hit with the 'turn left and run too' bug, he really becomes severe problems. Usually he kills off the game quickly. If he's out of combat he used to log out and back in, which solved the problem as well.

In general I wish this bug would be finally fixed. The game is over a year old.
EVERYBODY TRY THE ABOVE LINK IN MY POST ABOVE THE LAST ONE ABOUT REMOVING EASE OF ACCESS KEYBOARD SETTINGS!!

Since I took Wizard's advice and changed my ease of access settings, the problem has gone away. I am questing and doing warzones and no auto backwards! Im pretty sure this is it guys so try it out and let me know for yourself, I will post if anything changes.

Doel
02.25.2013 , 06:41 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by kniite View Post
Ok...wow. So I found this guide : http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_turn_off...rd_repeat.html , pretty much works for all windows versions, i have windows 8 and this is a windows 7 guide and i found it easy enough. I did have auto repeat on, I am about to play a few warzones and see if this was the problem. I will cross my fingers that this is the problem and will let you guys know
I'll give this a try too, thx!

And kniite, no need to quote me and yell (at me)

Besides, I want to point out the following: An user shouldn't have to go to these length and change their system settings to play a game normally. Just something to think about.

kniite
02.25.2013 , 07:27 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Doel View Post
I'll give this a try too, thx!

And kniite, no need to quote me and yell (at me)

Besides, I want to point out the following: An user shouldn't have to go to these length and change their system settings to play a game normally. Just something to think about.
Didnt mean to yell! lmao

And sadly a warzone or 2 later, it started happening again so the ease of access fix DOES NOT WORK

Doel
02.25.2013 , 03:31 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by kniite View Post
Didnt mean to yell! lmao

And sadly a warzone or 2 later, it started happening again so the ease of access fix DOES NOT WORK
lol no problem.

So, I tried it. I was really hopeful and just like you, class quest, end boss and bam... running in circles again.

Had to unbind the key and reasign it again .

stars_fan
02.25.2013 , 03:49 PM | #30
Too much clue goo on the s key is my guess