Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware, when can we get a word on player housing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware, when can we get a word on player housing?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Claprica
03.05.2013 , 09:15 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by ISDcaptain View Post
nobody said it was galaxies. Sheesh
But that is the point though isn't it. SWG was sandbox in design. SWTOR is not.
Where exactly are you going to put said player housing? There are only a few 'open' planets that could potentially accommodate it i.e. Tatooine.
I for one don't want houses blocking my path to objectives down the limited pathways that are available to us.

Face it, it's never going to happen.

I would love to have the crafting system from SWG imported into SWTOR, but guess what, that's not going to happen either.

Move on.
Azealiab - Shadow || Glasskannon - Sage || Tatonkabill - Sentinel Master Dar'Nala Server

ISDcaptain
03.05.2013 , 09:25 PM | #222
Quote: Originally Posted by Claprica View Post
But that is the point though isn't it. SWG was sandbox in design. SWTOR is not.
Where exactly are you going to put said player housing? There are only a few 'open' planets that could potentially accommodate it i.e. Tatooine.
I for one don't want houses blocking my path to objectives down the limited pathways that are available to us.

Face it, it's never going to happen.

I would love to have the crafting system from SWG imported into SWTOR, but guess what, that's not going to happen either.

Move on.
Did you even read the thread? Housing can be instanced.

Eillack
03.05.2013 , 09:27 PM | #223
^ This.

And I guess s/he did see my post or other who mentioned the early version of TOR had instanced housing on Coruscant and Dromund Kaas.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Arandmoor
03.05.2013 , 10:20 PM | #224
It's not a question of "where do we put the houses?". It's a question of adding value to the game and direction.

If you take a non-sandbox game, and add random sandbox features, the game does not suddenly become an awesome sandbox game. It becomes a non-sandbox game with randomly grafted sandbox features. While this can work, the chances it would work are minuscule at best because SWTOR isn't a sandbox. Especially when you take into account the unsupported idea of "housing" in the sense of a planet-side, physical home as compared to a ship.

If you want something like player housing, I'm sorry to say but it's not going to be like SWG. You have a personal ship per character that is the focus and . This constitutes a thematic direction when you take all the action and activities that take place on your ship both in SWTOR, and the KOTOR games before it.

Your "house" is your ship. Any "housing" is going to be ship-based, be it the ability to buy a new ship in the future, and/or decorate the inside or outer hull.

Any "guild housing" they add to the game will, most likely, consist of a "guild fleet" made up of capital ships because it will keep with that already established theme.

Sorry. No white-picket fence crap.

Hyde_v
03.05.2013 , 10:38 PM | #225
I live on my ship. That's all I need.

Then again, my own personal starport would be nice. Gotta refuel, you know.
"And they probably redesigned the whole sickbay too. I know engineers. They love to change things." -Dr. McCoy, ST:TMP

Neverfar
03.05.2013 , 10:45 PM | #226
I frankly do not see what "player housing" would accomplish.

Do you want specifically the SWG-style urban blight?

Do you want yet ANOTHER instanced area beyond your ship? What's wrong with your ship?

I'd be all right with customizing the interior and adding decorations to my ship. I'm an on-the-go adventurer, after all. But wasting developer time and resources for a house somewhere? That's just unnecessary.

LadyDrusilla
03.05.2013 , 11:07 PM | #227
Quote:
It's not a question of "where do we put the houses?". It's a question of adding value to the game and direction.
To many people it does add value, just because you disagree does not make those opinions invalid.

Quote:
If you take a non-sandbox game, and add random sandbox features, the game does not suddenly become an awesome sandbox game. It becomes a non-sandbox game with randomly grafted sandbox features. While this can work, the chances it would work are minuscule at best because SWTOR isn't a sandbox. Especially when you take into account the unsupported idea of "housing" in the sense of a planet-side, physical home as compared to a ship.
Player housing is not a sandbox feature. No one is asking for SWTOR to becaome a sandbox game. No one is demanding un-instanced planetside housing.

Quote:
If you want something like player housing, I'm sorry to say but it's not going to be like SWG. You have a personal ship per character that is the focus and . This constitutes a thematic direction when you take all the action and activities that take place on your ship both in SWTOR, and the KOTOR games before it.
So you know exactly what Bioware plans for the future? Fascinating, do share.

Quote:
Your "house" is your ship. Any "housing" is going to be ship-based, be it the ability to buy a new ship in the future, and/or decorate the inside or outer hull.
Hence why people are asking for ship customisation, which amounts to player housing. Funnily enough SWG had a starship player house.

Quote:
Any "guild housing" they add to the game will, most likely, consist of a "guild fleet" made up of capital ships because it will keep with that already established theme.
Suits me, player housing is player housing.

Quote:
Sorry. No white-picket fence crap.
No one is asking for that.

Quote: Originally Posted by Neverfar View Post
I frankly do not see what "player housing" would accomplish.

Do you want specifically the SWG-style urban blight?

Do you want yet ANOTHER instanced area beyond your ship? What's wrong with your ship?

I'd be all right with customizing the interior and adding decorations to my ship. I'm an on-the-go adventurer, after all. But wasting developer time and resources for a house somewhere? That's just unnecessary.
Player housing adds diversity to game content and appeals to many people, adding it to the game would please a lot of people and open up many new cartel market options for BW to make money. That is what it would accomplish. You may have no interest in it but that is fine, but saying 'I don't see what it would accomplish' as if that is an argument for not adding such features is absurd. I don't see the point of PvP and you don't see me demanding BW drop it and focus on things that do interest me, because I understand that MMOs need content that appeals to as many different types of player as possible.

Also many of us who do want player housing would be quite happy with ship customisation, I'd love to have more options for player housing too buy honestly I think many player housing fans would be happy just to decorate and customise their ships.
Again, who are you to say what is unnecessary? Why is content that appeals to many people unnecessary just because some people have no interest in it? The logic is lacking.
This blonde loves her Hutts, the bigger, the better.

Neverfar
03.05.2013 , 11:11 PM | #228
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyDrusilla View Post
To many people it does add value, just because you disagree does not make those opinions invalid.

Player housing is not a sandbox feature. No one is asking for SWTOR to becaome a sandbox game. No one is demanding un-instanced planetside housing.

So you know exactly what Bioware plans for the future? Fascinating, do share.

Hence why people are asking for ship customisation, which amounts to player housing. Funnily enough SWG had a starship player house.

Suits me, player housing is player housing.

No one is asking for that.

Player housing adds diversity to game content and appeals to many people, adding it to the game would please a lot of people and open up many new cartel market options for BW to make money. That is what it would accomplish. You may have no interest in it but that is fine, but saying 'I don't see what it would accomplish' as if that is an argument for not adding such features is absurd. I don't see the point of PvP and you don't see me demanding BW drop it and focus on things that do interest me, because I understand that MMOs need content that appeals to as many different types of player as possible.

Also many of us who do want player housing would be quite happy with ship customisation, I'd love to have more options for player housing too buy honestly I think many player housing fans would be happy just to decorate and customise their ships.
Again, who are you to say what is unnecessary? Why is content that appeals to many people unnecessary just because some people have no interest in it? The logic is lacking.
In an argument between opinions, invoking the word "logic" to back your opinion or to try to debase another is itself a logical fallacy.

Logic is a tool and a helpful one. It's not a blunt instrument to attack someone with, not something you declare on your side to win an argument of opinion. My finest professor taught me that.

LadyDrusilla
03.05.2013 , 11:24 PM | #229
I'm not attacking anyone with logic or otherwise. Nor am I debasing the opinion of anyone else. What I am doing is pointing out that using ones opinion as some kind of objective arbiter* of what is or is not necessary in a game whose success rests on appealing to as broad a playerbase as possible is quite flawed reasoning. I have not declared logic to be on my side, I simply try and keep my own arguments as logical as possible and have, once or twice, pointed out the lack of logic in certain other arguments.

*I am not setting up my opinion as such either, I am simply stating real benefits of adding player housining a calm and logical fashion.
This blonde loves her Hutts, the bigger, the better.

Neverfar
03.05.2013 , 11:33 PM | #230
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyDrusilla View Post
I'm not attacking anyone with logic or otherwise. Nor am I debasing the opinion of anyone else. What I am doing is pointing out that using ones opinion as some kind of objective arbiter* of what is or is not necessary in a game whose success rests on appealing to as broad a playerbase as possible is quite flawed reasoning. I have not declared logic to be on my side, I simply try and keep my own arguments as logical as possible and have, once or twice, pointed out the lack of logic in certain other arguments.

*I am not setting up my opinion as such either, I am simply stating real benefits of adding player housining a calm and logical fashion.
Haha. There's that "logical" word again. Oh, and scroll up. "the logic is lacking". Implying of course that my logic is inferior to yours, which is itself funny considering that we're dealing with opinions.

Don't try to back out of this with passive-aggressive rhetorical glaze. You baked your cake. Now eat it.