Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

are Light Side and Dark Side equally as powerful?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
are Light Side and Dark Side equally as powerful?

ericsbane's Avatar


ericsbane
02.21.2013 , 11:29 AM | #31
I wonder if anyone has ever written an essay on how post modernity has ruined the franchise?

legolegion's Avatar


legolegion
02.21.2013 , 01:00 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventessel View Post
Seems to have pretty much hit the nail on the head. The darkside tends to focus on aggressive combat training and so will produce more people who are better fighters (on average) while the light side focuses on internal mastery, meditation, etc. Initially, the lightside doesn't have a heavy focus on fighting, but eventually when that internal discipline is applied to combat training, you get very capable fighters.

Down the road, that darkside is concerned with manipulation and betrayal, and constantly watching your back. This seems to limit their growth in the end, while lightsiders can usually study in peace, and even teach other lightsiders without fear of being killed with their own techniques. So at the end of the road, there will be a few extremely powerful darksiders, but many more lightsiders who are very polished and strong.
No I disagree, as darksider only strong survie. Thus stronger force user would be on darkside, as they don`t get stronger the get dead. That is powerfull motivator, fear of death.

Kaedusz's Avatar


Kaedusz
02.21.2013 , 01:53 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
If 100 is the top level of power. Think of Lightside as 100 and Darkside as 98. Not a big difference in power, and you can get to 98 darkside power level faster than you can get to a 98 lightside power level.
Why is darkside 98?Just because its the bad guys ,and the light is the good guys?And in fiction the good must be more awesome ,always?
Best case scenario darkside ''power level'' is 98 and light side 98.5.
At 100 a sith would die cus the dark side would destroy his body,and a jedi reaches 100 when he dies.So no1 realy survives 100 to show it off.

Sadishist's Avatar


Sadishist
02.21.2013 , 04:17 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
If 100 is the top level of power. Think of Lightside as 100 and Darkside as 98. Not a big difference in power, and you can get to 98 darkside power level faster than you can get to a 98 lightside power level.
Was wondering where did you get that 100:98 ratio?

Because the good guys will always win in the end in all stories?
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

Ventessel's Avatar


Ventessel
02.21.2013 , 04:30 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by legolegion View Post
No I disagree, as darksider only strong survie. Thus stronger force user would be on darkside, as they don`t get stronger the get dead. That is powerfull motivator, fear of death.
Early on, yeah that's a great motivator. However, eventually that will start to wear on you. You're constantly looking out for someone to get you from behind, making it harder to focus on actually learning and improving yourself since it takes more and more effort to get better at the higher tiers of power.

Meanwhile, Jedi Masters cooperate and teach each other and their pupils, so their knowledge is shared and training won't slow down as much as it does for Sith masters and Darths.
The Heir to ChaosAdded Chapter Sixteen-- 17 APR 2013
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” ~ George Orwell

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
02.21.2013 , 07:49 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaedusz View Post
Why is darkside 98?Just because its the bad guys ,and the light is the good guys?And in fiction the good must be more awesome ,always?
Best case scenario darkside ''power level'' is 98 and light side 98.5.
At 100 a sith would die cus the dark side would destroy his body,and a jedi reaches 100 when he dies.So no1 realy survives 100 to show it off.
Because in SW lore, it's already been said Lightside is more powerful than darkside. What was it in Episode 4 or 5 that it was said, and pretty much made canon from that?

And yes. Darkside will have awesome fighters, because for them it's do or die. This doesn't stop lightside from having awesome fighters, because as it's been shown, just because your lightside, doesn't mean you don't want to be the most kickass fighter in the galaxy (and thusly maybe upset that Master of yours for the whole pride thing )

What this does do, is limit the Sith's numbers, and if we really want to think on what it would do, it would more than likely have many more force users going to the republic before Korriban, or surviving Korriban and then betraying them for the republic, but of course, TOR can't allow that because side switching is impossible.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Sadishist's Avatar


Sadishist
02.21.2013 , 08:44 PM | #37
^ The thing is... if light side is more powerful, it defeats the purpose of anyone going dark side, ever.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

DAWUSS's Avatar


DAWUSS
02.21.2013 , 09:17 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by ericsbane View Post
I wonder if anyone has ever written an essay on how post modernity has ruined the franchise?
There's a topic if a student needs to write an essay for English class. lol

Sadishist's Avatar


Sadishist
02.21.2013 , 11:57 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
^ The thing is... if light side is more powerful, it defeats the purpose of anyone going dark side, ever.
SithKoriandr please address my post, why do darksiders exist if there's not more power to be gained in dark? (since they only do it for more power)
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

ReverendGeniasi's Avatar


ReverendGeniasi
02.22.2013 , 12:54 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
SithKoriandr please address my post, why do darksiders exist if there's not more power to be gained in dark? (since they only do it for more power)
Because it's quicker. Even if the Light side is stronger, it takes a long time to get to that point. Meanwhile, the Dark side gives a huge boost in power right off the bat. Short-sightedness then, is the answer. Also, they just may not believe that the Light side is stronger since it can't be measured quantifiably like that.