Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DarthFamine
02.14.2013 , 11:27 AM | #21
and back when it was changed originally they stated they were dropping that exact cost off because it was too high.
most likely a new guy fixed what he perceived as an error without looking into the past patch notes on the subject.

from the 1.2 patch notes

Modifiable items now have repair costs based on the level of their base modification.
"It might be fear, or anger, or hatred, or perhaps even suffering that makes a man fall to the dark side, but it is without a doubt regret, that keeps him there."
-Darth Famine
www.RJKgaming.com

tortcat
02.14.2013 , 11:28 AM | #22
"bug" or not....when it is in palce that long for so long...it becomes a "feature".

If this "bug" was fixed a year ago...many many players would noit have stuck with the game as learnign new content etc would become prohibitive .

Can you imagine what it going to be like with Makeb if this is not corrected and the costs most will incur learnign new content over 5 new levels?

Already last nigth I peronsally saw 2 cases where people were kicking people and just leavign their gfinder groups because a new person caused an accidental wipe and people were not sticking around for more then one try

Vandicus
02.14.2013 , 11:32 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
This affects new players. I have a 29 Shadow (tank) in orange gear. In that orange gear, I have level-appropriate armoring, mods, and enhancements. One death cost me a few hundred before the patch . Now it costs me almost 9,000. Tell me, what player who just started the game and has ONE level 29 character can afford 9,000 per death? They can certainly get the gear by doing the heroic planetary quests and flash points...

Normally I'd reiterate my request for you to answer my question before I answer yours...

I've never seen any reports of players paying 10x what others do for repairing the same level gear with the same level of damage, so I don't really buy your point?

Now please answer my question. Why is this change good for the game? Please keep in mind that it affects all players at all levels; don't just limit your answer to a specific, small subset of the players, please.
Well then there's either a new and unintentional bug that has been introduced, or the number you threw out is complete BS. I just went on my level 36 sniper and did a test PvE death, just a tad bit over 1k, which is about what he earns from killing a few mob groups.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Vandicus
02.14.2013 , 11:35 AM | #24
Normally I'd reiterate my request for you to answer my question before I answer yours...

I've never seen any reports of players paying 10x what others do for repairing the same level gear with the same level of damage, so I don't really buy your point?

Now please answer my question. Why is this change good for the game? Please keep in mind that it affects all players at all levels; don't just limit your answer to a specific, small subset of the players, please.
You claim that people who are now paying what others have been paying all along are paying 10x what they were before. The logical corollary is that these people were paying 10x less than what everyone else was at the time.

As I have yet to see evidence of change to repair costs for lower level characters, I refute at least a portion of your question. End Game gear, its unreasonable to expect people to pay different repair prices based on whether or not they wear social gear.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

DarthTHC
02.14.2013 , 11:37 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Well then there's either a new and unintentional bug that has been introduced, or the number you threw out is complete BS. I just went on my level 36 sniper and did a test PvE death, just a tad bit over 1k, which is about what he earns from killing a few mob groups.
Let's compare apples to apples, please?

What is your sniper's gear? Which are his orange, modded pieces? What level mods do you have in them?

On my Shadow, I have orange gear in every slot down the right side plus weapon, offhand, and bracers. Every trinket in every piece requires level 25-29 to equip. No pieces have augment slots or, obviously, augments.

If your Sniper is not similarly equipped with 8 orange, moddable pieces of gear with level-appropriate items in every slot, your test is interesting but insufficient to call BS on my experiences.

Ratajack
02.14.2013 , 11:38 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthFamine View Post
and back when it was changed originally they stated they were dropping that exact cost off because it was too high.
most likely a new guy fixed what he perceived as an error without looking into the past patch notes on the subject.

from the 1.2 patch notes

Modifiable items now have repair costs based on the level of their base modification.
Again from the 1.7 patch notes:

Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
From the patch notes:

"Item sell values and item repair costs now reflect the value of the items and any enhancements attached to them. Previously, items were incorrectly being valued without their enhancements."

Sounds like a bug to me.
After 1.2 the repair cost was supposed to be based on item mod levels, but it was actually being calculated WITHOUT the enhancements. According to the patch notes, this patch fixed that bug and now repair costs should be in line with what patch 1.2 intended.

Also remember that most people now have their gear augmented with level 22 augments. Is it possible that prior to 1.7, the game was not taking into account augments when calculating repair costs and is now doing so? If a person has every slot augmented with a purple level 22 augment, that could be a hefty chunk of credits.

DarthTHC
02.14.2013 , 11:39 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
You claim that people who are now paying what others have been paying all along are paying 10x what they were before. The logical corollary is that these people were paying 10x less than what everyone else was at the time.

As I have yet to see evidence of change to repair costs for lower level characters, I refute at least a portion of your question. End Game gear, its unreasonable to expect people to pay different repair prices based on whether or not they wear social gear.
The logical corollary is that everyone could have been paying up to 10x less than they are now, depending on the type of gear they used.

People using a lot of orange / moddable gear are now paying up to 10x more than they were before. That is the problem.

Why should people who wear social gear be heavily penalized in repair costs? How is THAT good for the game?

Vandicus
02.14.2013 , 11:40 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by TralyanSavo View Post
Why is the solution to raise repair costs for everyone rather than lowering it to the same level for everyone?

Alternatively, a solution to this thing is to have trash mobs in all of the ops drop credits like they do in Asation. My raid team cleared TFB last night for the first time last night and despite being in full BH and some 27s, and wiping on the Terror a few times while learning the mechanics, the credits dropped, stuff bioanalyzed, stabilizers, etc more than paid for the repair costs. The problem is where trash doesnt drop anything at all. Of course, I dont think Bioware would consider this because this repair cost issue seems very much to be intentional in order to drain credits from the game economy.
To make this absolutely clear, repair costs have not be raised for everyone, though you raise an interesting point about repair costs. The system would need to be redesigned, because it is currently scaling and there would need to be a baseline number that everyone paid if you simply brought the price down(since the people receiving a discount were not all receiving the same level of discount), but I don't personally think there's anything wrong with simply reducing repair costs overall or doing away with them altogether. The arguments I have heard in favor of the existence of repair costs usually has to do with getting people to be serious about end game PvE or something, but that's not something I particularly care about.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Vandicus
02.14.2013 , 11:41 AM | #29
Why should people who wear social gear be heavily penalized in repair costs? How is THAT good for the game?
They're not being penalized, they are merely now paying the same price as everyone else.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

BJWyler
02.14.2013 , 11:42 AM | #30
This affects new players. I have a 29 Shadow (tank) in orange gear. In that orange gear, I have level-appropriate armoring, mods, and enhancements. One death cost me a few hundred before the patch . Now it costs me almost 9,000. Tell me, what player who just started the game and has ONE level 29 character can afford 9,000 per death? They can certainly get the gear by doing the heroic planetary quests and flash points...
Uhmm, I have characters in the mid- to late 20's with over 100,000 credits and that's not by farming, but by playing through the content "normally". Quite frankly, if someone is dying so much that even 9,000 credits is a problem, then they are definitely doing something wrong - I pretty much solo all leveling content and have only died 2-3 times on a couple of characters and none at all on others - with toons up to level 41 at this point.

Because gear repair costs are a credit sink (aka gold sink), it is used to take money out of the economy to keep the economy balanced. Now, I am not one to debate the actual validity of an in-game economy, but when something is not working as intended, it needs to be fixed.

Quote: Originally Posted by tortcat View Post
"bug" or not....when it is in palce that long for so long...it becomes a "feature".
So any and all bugs that have been in the game for a while no longer need fixing because they are now features and working as intended?

BJ
Primus and Alpha on the PTS/Swords of the Republic on The Shadowlands
Check out our own Character Page which includes music and Quest Lists

and our YouTube Channel for Gameplay footage and more