Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So ilum 2.0 - What are your thoughts?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > The Shadowlands

DkSharktooth
02.13.2013 , 11:21 AM | #1

RyanReagan
02.13.2013 , 11:47 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DkSharktooth View Post
I was too drunk to figure out what I was supposed to do. I just put Avenn on follow and killed the stuff she was killing. Then when she left I was totally lost.

I think I have to kill things, though.
C.K. <Infinite Darkness> S.N. <Infinite Darkness> K.R. <Infinite Darkness> C.K. <Infinite Darkness>

MidichIorian
02.13.2013 , 02:38 PM | #3
Yesterday: Good
Today: Not working as intended

In short, it's a community issue. People seemed somewhat interested in actually PvP'ing there yesterday but today it was more of a stand in line and wait for your turn to turn in the orbs -thingy. I searched high and low for a group, AS A HEALER, to PvP with but to no avail. I did come across quite a few LFG'es though, all specifying that they were only looking for groups for the non-PvP missions. Soooo.......the community's attention span for PvP lasted 24'ish hours. I realize that this is a PvE server but come on. Ended up doing the PvP missions with a fellow healer and at no point were we attacked despite that we came across several groups. O_o

As for BW part in this, obviously not exactly what people were asking for in terms of owPvP but they did atleast try and the result isnt as bad as some are trying to make it into. A mechanic that actually forced people to fight would have been to prefer since people now tend to enter with no intentions of PvP'ing. And God forbid that someone would attack them., they'd write QQ paragraphs about it.
That said, I think the result is good for what they set out to do. I do have some minor issues with it though:

* Orb delivery at Central should be instant instead of channeled. Forcing people to channel PvE stuff in a PvP zone is just retarded, especially in an area where everyone is supposed to go. Your three group members won't be able to to save you when there's a FFA between 10 groups going on, assuming that people actually PvP in the first place.

*Orb blasts are STUPID. They make no sense at all. For those who arent familiar with what they are, when someone is delivering an orb or is being killed while carrying one there's a blast that take a good deal of everyone's (I believe it's everyone's atleast) HP within a certain radius. So let's say that you have a fair 4 vs 4 fight and one of the players happen to be carrying an orb and gets killed, that's probably going to determine the outcome of the entire fight. I was killed that way several times as I was trying to heal and already had two people on me. Again, it's STUPID.

* This goes for the PvE area of new Ilum, not enough/fast NPC spawns. Not that it was that fun (just more of same ol' PvE) in the first place but having to wait in a game quickly turns it into a boring experience.

Miquiztli
02.13.2013 , 04:52 PM | #4
The problem isn't the community in my opinion. The problem is with the fact that there is absolutely no incentive to pvp in this area. It is in everyone's best interest to just stand in line to charge the pylon. You get 100 wz coms for doing a pve quest in a pvp zone. Killing other players doesn't give you coms, it doesn't give you valor like it did on Monday, it doesn't really count toward anything. All it does is make completing the quest take longer. As someone who loves pvp I don't care about pvp'ing in this event. I'll get coms, valor, and cash in a much shorter time if I do wz's.
<Ascendant> Miquiztli (Sin | 55), Perro (Merc | 55), Mi'ngh (Jugg | 55), Tokas'plif (Sniper | 55)
<Obnoxious Amateurs> Tokab'lunt (Scoundrel | 55), Miquizell (Sage | 55), Gatita (Van | 55), Ukko'otso (Sent | 55)

Miquiztli
02.13.2013 , 05:08 PM | #5
Oh, I should add what I do like about this event:
  • The changes to the environment are incredible. The Gray Secant is wicked to see hovering over the Northern part of the valley.
  • The weekly rep cap isn't that big of a deal to me. It will keep me coming back rather than burning through it as fast as I can.
  • I like the ffa pvp zone (not the quests obviously) as a concept. Limiting groups to 4 and making everyone else a potential threat I think is great. It will make 1v1, 2v2,... tourneys a lot easier to do. Especially since you won't have to gquit to do anything bigger than a duel against guildies.
<Ascendant> Miquiztli (Sin | 55), Perro (Merc | 55), Mi'ngh (Jugg | 55), Tokas'plif (Sniper | 55)
<Obnoxious Amateurs> Tokab'lunt (Scoundrel | 55), Miquizell (Sage | 55), Gatita (Van | 55), Ukko'otso (Sent | 55)

bigheadbrandon
02.13.2013 , 05:19 PM | #6
it reminded me how bad *CERTAIN 'pvp" GUILDS" are

so overall it was a plus
i love ganking people and winning 2v1 on my fresh 50 assassin

Dedrayge
02.13.2013 , 05:53 PM | #7
I am really not surprised to hear there was a line in the PVP zone. Putting PVE quests in PVP zone really doesn't make sense. Why they didn't include PVP objectives is beyond me. As it stands, I also agree there is no real incentive to PVP. I've also heard that people can't attack their own guild mates. So, it really doesn't sound like a true FFA. So. I'm dissapointed on the PVP side of the update.

As for the PVE, it's kind of meh mostly due to a lack of mobs and poor respawn rates. Mind you, the WB loot is pretty damn good.

Also, the inside if the gray secant reminds of Tron. Complete with a disc fight, which is kind of dull.
No plans for PvP...So, I have no plans to invest anymore money into this game.

Waiting for Wildstar

bigheadbrandon
02.13.2013 , 06:16 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Dedrayge View Post
I am really not surprised to hear there was a line in the PVP zone. Putting PVE quests in PVP zone really doesn't make sense. Why they didn't include PVP objectives is beyond me. As it stands, I also agree there is no real incentive to PVP. I've also heard that people can't attack their own guild mates. So, it really doesn't sound like a true FFA. So. I'm dissapointed on the PVP side of the update.

As for the PVE, it's kind of meh mostly due to a lack of mobs and poor respawn rates. Mind you, the WB loot is pretty damn good.

Also, the inside if the gray secant reminds of Tron. Complete with a disc fight, which is kind of dull.
i, for one, welcome our new disney overlords

MidichIorian
02.13.2013 , 09:54 PM | #9
[/QUOTE]
Quote: Originally Posted by Miquiztli View Post
The problem isn't the community in my opinion. The problem is with the fact that there is absolutely no incentive to pvp in this area.
That's the same BS excuse I hear about the failure that is the matchmaking system. People think it's ok that they match people left and right, regardless of skill and group size, "because you still get rewards". Who the **** plays for rewards? If that is all people play for then they shouldnt be playing at all.
The new area is bringing people there and that is the most important thing and where the Den failed. There was simply no reason for ever going back to Tat as a 50 (give or take the odd community organized event).

How would you solve it? Let people farm valor there so that Timmy who can't break 50K in a warzone can be valor 100?` One warzone comm per kill? None of those things would mean anything to me because valor doesnt have any effect on the game and I'm all for giving people full wh sets when they ding 50 BUT it wouldnt improve the PvP either because the majority would only come there for said rewards, just like they are standing in line now for some Reputation.

Miquiztli
02.13.2013 , 10:39 PM | #10
Whoa, calm down there. I'm just saying there is no benefit or purpose to pvp there. Same as OD. Hell, have kills drop cash, give minor amounts of Gree rep, something. If you are looking for purposeless pvp reroll on a pvp server where you can gank people to your heart's content.