Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So... Ilum pvp/pve

stringcat
02.13.2013 , 01:16 PM | #11
ASB is primarily a raiding guild; some members just PVP as well.

That said, I think it's not at all surprising that people "defending" the existence of PVP content are PVPers. (Hell, I think most of the people who post on this board are hardcore PVPers. Perhaps because there's more reason for PVPers to get to know people outside their guild /raidgroup than anyone else.)

I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with particular people's guilds "controlling" the area. (As far as I know, my guild never had any sustained presence in the PVP area larger than four people doing dailies). Being grouped with one other person didn't present a problem. Being on a level 46 sorc (admittedly in a full group) didn't present a problem. *shrug*
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

EFSoupy
02.13.2013 , 01:18 PM | #12
The PvE crowd goes there because it's where the event is, there is currency to be had at a location, so that's where they're going. The objective isn't even one where killing people gives you anything (unless killing the orb carrier gives you the orb, didn't check that). I ran in there with a couple guildies who never run PvP, because it was on the quest list. It's a PvE quest in a PvP area.
Azucena- Vanguard (Shield/Assault), Moco - Scoundrel (Sawbones), Chapulin - Shadow (Kinetic/ Infiltration), Cagafuego - Commando (Gunnery)
<The Eternal Guardians>
Begeren Colony

stringcat
02.13.2013 , 01:25 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by EFSoupy View Post
The PvE crowd goes there because it's where the event is, there is currency to be had at a location, so that's where they're going. The objective isn't even one where killing people gives you anything (unless killing the orb carrier gives you the orb, didn't check that). I ran in there with a couple guildies who never run PvP, because it was on the quest list. It's a PvE quest in a PvP area.
That's where the PVP part of the event is and the PVP quests are, yeah. And it's on the quest list with a [PVP] in front of the name.

Killing people prevents them (1) taking orbs, or (2) capping the pylon. Both are on reasonably significant respawn timers. The reason they're on reasonably significant respawn timers is to encourage people to fight over them. So yeah, it's incentivized.
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

bsbrad
02.13.2013 , 01:31 PM | #14
My opinion is that Bioware did a decent job with this revamp of Ilum. I remember the old days where people just lined up to be slaghtered.

All in all most people on this server (and most of the experienced guilds) don't go around ganking people. Usually as long as you do not hit them in the Northern area then you will not get retaliation. In the contested region yes you will get killed but depending on the times of the day even there Pubs and Imps help each other out.

With the addition of a couple of world bosses and a reputation grind it looks like people will be busy for a while.

I would have preferred if Bioware made it so you cannot get attacked in the Northern region unless you had your PVP flag on but that is coming from a primarily PVE player.

As far as the dedicated PVP guilds being the ones marshalling the area, well that maybe because they are more organized than the rest of us. As I said I have never had problems with ASB or GD to name a few, most of the players in these guilds prefer to fight on equal footing and don't go around picking on PVE players when they know there will be no challenge.

So far I would give this event a resounding success....and I have not yet seen the inside of the Gray Secant.

Just remember to enjoy yourselves and remember this is optional content, if you need help in the zone to ask at one of the bases and I am sure you will get a group pretty quickly.
N'abi
Harbinger
The answer is easy the question is not....oh who am I kidding!!!.

EFSoupy
02.13.2013 , 01:33 PM | #15
You do have a point there Val. I was thinking more along the lines of nothing gained for engaging in PvP (a la Ilum back in the day where you at least got a count towards daily/weekly for killing someone).
Azucena- Vanguard (Shield/Assault), Moco - Scoundrel (Sawbones), Chapulin - Shadow (Kinetic/ Infiltration), Cagafuego - Commando (Gunnery)
<The Eternal Guardians>
Begeren Colony

Riggz
02.13.2013 , 02:03 PM | #16
Let's just all agree if we see a guy named Manka in the zone we kill him
Urdnought Level 55 Operative
Urdonught Level 55 Scoundrel
<GRIM DETERMINATION>
<INFAMOUS>

Desiirea
02.13.2013 , 03:32 PM | #17
I would also like to add there is nothing stopping the players soloing or in smaller guild from banding together. This is an MMO people! Maybe you are suppose to rally other people together who are doing/going through what you are. General chat is full of people talking there. Ask around for a group. If you don't want to go through that effort well don't get mad cause you can not oppose the people that do.

It's like expecting to go solo a current content 8 man raid. Do you see pvp people looking at bioware asking for that? "why bioware do i have to group up with other people to go experience raid content! I want to do this content! I shouldn't have to get pve gear either to beat the bosses!" You would look at that person like they were nuts. Why are you expecting to just go do this then?

Look I understand what pve players are saying. Now please take the time to listen to what the PvP people are saying here. You are stepping foot into PvP and asking for the play to be changed to suit what you want.

Valya is right. ASB is a PvE oriented guild first. I have been gaming for over 13 years in MMO's and always as a PvE player. It wasn't until this game that I really got into PvP so believe me when I say I understand a PvE players perspective. And PvE is still my primary game play (I haven't been stepping foot into PvP much recently)

P.S. *grabs the Kill Manka sign and starts parading* :P
Desiirea, The Cookiegoddess Legacy - Seer Sage
You don't know the power of the Desi side
Server 1st Elite Warlord - Server 1st 16-man Infernal
Cookies4Ever

Riggz
02.13.2013 , 03:57 PM | #18
Actually this thread has changed my opinions

I kill imps and pubs now I no longer judge

Unless Scyn is around, then we should all just get along...
Urdnought Level 55 Operative
Urdonught Level 55 Scoundrel
<GRIM DETERMINATION>
<INFAMOUS>

Desiirea
02.13.2013 , 04:19 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Riggz View Post
Unless Scyn is around, then we should all just get along...
No everyone needs to kill Scyn!

(gosh now he's going to give me hell tonight during raid LOL)
Desiirea, The Cookiegoddess Legacy - Seer Sage
You don't know the power of the Desi side
Server 1st Elite Warlord - Server 1st 16-man Infernal
Cookies4Ever

Rylorn
02.13.2013 , 04:19 PM | #20
I hope no one is sincerely frustrated by anything that happens in Ilum. I will never be out to ruins someone's day, I just love the dynamics of Ilum right now. Instead of running circles around the fleet, there is finally something to do!!

For those sincerely not interested in pvp, avoid the contested area. If you are interested, but new and/or undergeared, pick up the Recruit set and maybe buy some War Hero pieces. War Hero is so cheap now, it is very accessible, and nearly as good as Elite War Hero.

I think there is a fundamental conflict with how players view the Western Shelf now. Many players see the new area as pve with bizarre pvp rules that hamper their ability to quest. That section of Ilum was always meant to be a contained world pvp area though. The interesting thing, is that the world pvp works better now with additional reasons to go out there, thus the questing.

One nice thing is that reputation is legacy wide. There is a huge incentive for me(and others) to bring my alternate characters out there, and not just my biggest, baddest ones. I really need to get my marauder up to level.
A long time ago in an MMO far,
far away. . .

Approxy Reftach [Illegal Test Kitchen] Shadowlands