Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need some tips on making credits

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Need some tips on making credits

old_benn
03.04.2013 , 02:13 PM | #11
Flashpoint behavior is highly unpredictable.

Having said that, I have 2 experiences which I think will explain most of what you'll see.

Experience #1:
I was a noob to not only SWTOR, but also MMOs in general. I had my level 11 Guardian and I ran the Esseles FP. I had no idea how to find a group for it, so I tried it solo. I got owned, obviously. Eventually, I found another Guardian to help me. But this was obviously an alt for him, and he just rushed through the FP killing everything as he went. I helped, obviously, but I had no idea what we were doing. It was all I could do just to keep up with him. It felt "chaotic", just as you described.

Experience #2:
I just recently had my level 11 Powertech run the Black Talon FP (this is my 4th toon, my other 3 are level 50). I was grouped with 2 other players. One of them seemed to be a veteran of the game, and one seemed to be new to the game. I used Mako as the 4th group member, and with my massive Presence bonuses from my previous characters, I probably could have solo'd the content (except for the last boss). We absolutely rolled through that FP. The other veteran and I just kept on rolling to the next fight, and I noticed that the new player was always lagging behind. Once the FP was over, I had time to reflect on the fact that I had swapped roles. I was now the "fast, chaotic" player, instead of the one feeling out of sorts and getting left behind.

Here's the difference:
When you're new, you're not sure what to expect, and you're constantly trying to get your bearings. You'd love to plan out the next move: both to increase your chances for success, and also to give you more confidence that you know what's going on.
But as a veteran of flashpoints (story mode), you know that you can just roll through the whole thing (particularly Esseles/Black Talon), and that tactics/planning only makes the FP take longer.

So how you're going to approach a FP just depends upon your familiarity with it. If you really want to go through a FP carefully and plan/strategize, you'll need to be grouped with others who are also new to that FP (and probably on their first toon). I don't know how you would go about making that happen, but that's the only way I can think of that you would be able to achieve what you're looking for.
Jal-en 55 Guardian Kal-en 55 Gunslinger
Payd'n 55 Operative Boe'ba'fet 55 Powertech
Cr'sh'r 55 Marauder Kym'br'li 55 Sage
Aay'den 55 Commando Dom'n'ninz 55 Sorceror

Shiziticus
03.04.2013 , 05:48 PM | #12
Thanks again for the input people. Yes, I am aware of being ''needy' / greedy'. In fact, EVERY time I'm logged on....I make it a point to go and actively FIND low level people and offer them help.....and or.....make myself available for help. But it seems to be a kind of one way street a lot of the time....???

My only other area right now which seems to be irritiating is this : I have a relatively easy time now finding nodes to 'slice' in order to get my slicing to 400 [eventually], but I have yet to find ANY way to find 'Archeological' nodes, OR 'Underworld trading nodes'. ???? Does this mean that you may ONLY opt for paying for your crew to do 'missions' on Archeology and Underworld trading....??? If so....I don't see how in heck you can / or will---EVER get to 400 unless through spending ALL your credits on them....plus....it seems thus far, that the there are NEVER any NEW missions available in the crew window.....they always stay the same missions...and whenever I try to repeat them too often...the crew member FAILS. So what I am NOT understanding here.....??? Why is this stuff NOT explained properly in the tuturials....? How the heck are you supposed to actually figure this stuff out....??? If you can, PLEASE help me figure this out....so I can get to work on this area of the game.... I SURE would appreciate someone explaining this area to me. Truly. Thanx again for your input / help.

rgrocott
03.04.2013 , 07:01 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Shiziticus View Post
Thanks again for the input people. Yes, I am aware of being ''needy' / greedy'. In fact, EVERY time I'm logged on....I make it a point to go and actively FIND low level people and offer them help.....and or.....make myself available for help. But it seems to be a kind of one way street a lot of the time....???

My only other area right now which seems to be irritiating is this : I have a relatively easy time now finding nodes to 'slice' in order to get my slicing to 400 [eventually], but I have yet to find ANY way to find 'Archeological' nodes, OR 'Underworld trading nodes'. ???? Does this mean that you may ONLY opt for paying for your crew to do 'missions' on Archeology and Underworld trading....??? If so....I don't see how in heck you can / or will---EVER get to 400 unless through spending ALL your credits on them....plus....it seems thus far, that the there are NEVER any NEW missions available in the crew window.....they always stay the same missions...and whenever I try to repeat them too often...the crew member FAILS. So what I am NOT understanding here.....??? Why is this stuff NOT explained properly in the tuturials....? How the heck are you supposed to actually figure this stuff out....??? If you can, PLEASE help me figure this out....so I can get to work on this area of the game.... I SURE would appreciate someone explaining this area to me. Truly. Thanx again for your input / help.
Archaeology is a gathering skill, so you should be able to find nodes for that - they look like crystalline outcrops, and should show up as available nodes on your minimap.

Underworld Trading is a missions-only skill, so the only way you can level it is to pay for your crew to run missions. For this reason it may not be ideal for your first character because it's quite slow to level the skill, but looking ahead it's a very valuable "support" skill for the Cybertech, Armormech and Synthweaving professions. If you stick to the "Underworld Metals" missions, you should be able to sell them at a profit, but it'll be pretty slow going to level up - the fabrics don't sell so well because only a subset of Synthweaving uses them, and companion gifts are a very mixed bag.

Mission failures are random, they happen from time to time - it's not related to how often you run the same mission. As you level up, more missions become available. You still gain skill points even if the mission is a failure, but you don't get anything to sell.

Re: "How do I learn this stuff?", I honestly just learned by reading the tutorial items on the Codex, and then a bit of trial and error. I've got a ton of fairly useless Luxury Fabrics because I didn't realise those weren't as useful as the metals when I was levelling Underworld Trading, and maybe I wasted some credits finding that out, but it's really not that big a deal

Shiziticus
03.05.2013 , 08:19 PM | #14
Many thanks 'Old Ben' and 'Rgncot'. Points well taken. Though I have managed to get going on the slicing nodes, which do in fact show up on my map, I have yet to see anthing show up on the map for Archeology....and....If I go up to those 'crystal' out croppings which I do in fact see as I explore....nothing happens. If I click on them....I get nothing. So I don't know what I am doing wrong. Yes...I do in fact have Archeology currently trained. So I'm not sure what's wrong. Based on your advice 'Rgncot', I'll likely drop the underworld trading and retrain with 'biotech'.

Old Ben.....thanks for the info. Yes....it makes sense to me now. I guess I'll just lay back and just level up at least two 'toons' [is that what you call them ?]. I've been calling them 'characters' up to now. Though I'd like very much to get into flashpoints and group missions....I don't seem to be good at finding anyone who I seem to be similar to in terms of experience.....I'm either a lot better than, or much to slow for the people I seem to find thus far. So, that said, even though it' s getting kind of lonely now for me to go about the WHOLE game 'solo'......I guess that's what I likely have to accept for now. Mind you brothers....I'm in my 50's now, and I suppose that may have some degree of impact on 'how' I approach the game play, even so, believe it or not....a ten or 12 hour gameplay time for me seems to be pretty normal now. I wish I had been using my crew skills from the get go, 'cause now my level 33 Sith Marauder is WAAAY behind on crew skill......and......I thus far have a very meager 'social' point accruement.

Thanks very much for taking time to address my points. It sounds to me like you just have to figure it all out on your own in terms of 'how' to go about setting up your keys and mouse. Though I'd really like to speak to someone about what works best, I'm not able to find anyone yet who seems capable of speaking about this in a way which makes sense to me. One thing IS for certain : The BEST thing I've done thus far was equip myself with a Razer Orbweaver. I know feel as if I have the potential to attain Powerful control over the vastness of the game's dynamics, whereas, before, I just couldn't seem to control things properly. A keyboard just wasn't cutting it for me.

Thanks again brothers.

Cleet_Xia
03.06.2013 , 05:28 AM | #15
A couple of points..

1) You don't have to participate in crafting at all to be successful in SWTOR, it's an extension of the game that can improve the leveling speed of alts (alternate characters). But it's not actually necessary to level crafting skills, while leveling your character. It can give you a few nice perks a long the way with your first toon ~ but if it's done wrong it can actually slow your game progress and ingame accumulation of wealth down.

2) The type of control interface you use is much less important that having a solid understanding of your character's abilities & how those abilities synergize with other advanced classes. "hotkeying" with an mmo mouse is major upgrade, but it's not actually necessary for better than average play in PvE.

3) Acuumulating social points has almost no impact in SWTOR. All that social rank will gain you is access to a social set of armor from each planet, and a couple of in game "toys" & titles. Not to say that social rank isn't worth pursuing, it's just not something to become focused on.

4) About a third of the acheology nodes are "artifacts" & these can be very difficult to spot from almost any distance on any terrain other than snow. If your inventory is full, the harvest will proceed but the items will not be added to your bag. They will instead remain in the node & be instantly harvested by the next player to attempt to harvest that node. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to double right click on a node, and harvest it yourself ~ instead of waiting on your companion.

5) It can be very difficult to distinguish between advanced players & bat-**** insane players. Because advanced players don't tend to take normal content or even some hardmode content very seriously. Grouping with either can be a jarring experience for a new player. Advanced players have certain expectations of other advanced players, and this leads them to behave in somewhat strange ways just because of force of habit.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

rgrocott
03.06.2013 , 03:32 PM | #16
... I have yet to see anthing show up on the map for Archeology....and....If I go up to those 'crystal' out croppings which I do in fact see as I explore....nothing happens. If I click on them....I get nothing. So I don't know what I am doing wrong. Yes...I do in fact have Archeology currently trained. So I'm not sure what's wrong.
That definitely sounds odd. I don't know if that's the kind of thing that can get bugged, but if you haven't levelled your Archaeology via missions yet, maybe try dropping the skill and relearning it, assuming you want to keep that skill.

Based on your advice 'Rgncot', I'll likely drop the underworld trading and retrain with 'biotech'.
Not sure if you mean Biochem or Bioanalysis there If you take Biochem, then you absolutely must take Bioanalysis to support it (replacing your Archaeology), or you won't have the materials needed to craft the items. You could buy them on the AH instead, but that would be horribly expensive.

As a general rule, each crafting skill has one primary gathering skill that supports it, and one mission-based skill that provides the additional materials needed to craft blue and purple quality items. Example combinations are:

Biochem + Bioanalysis + Diplomacy
Armormech + Scavenging + Underworld Trading
Armstech + Scavenging + Investigation (wouldn't recommend this, it's much less useful and profitable)
Synthweaving + Archaeology + Underworld Trading

A decent guide for the basics is http://www.darthhater.com/articles/f...ng-crew-skills

Personally, my preference for a first character on a server is Biochem + Bioanalysis + Slicing. Bioanalysis gets you the materials you need to level Biochem, and you can use the meds and stims from Biochem to help you level, while Slicing brings in some cash. Alternatively, you can buy re-usable purple quality meds and stims on the GTN as you level up - these don't get bound when you use them, so once you upgrade to the next level of these items, you can sell the old ones on the GTN to get your money back. These require you to have a certain level of Biochem skill to use, so you can reverse engineer the Biotech items you create to get back some more materials to help get your Biochem skill level up quickly.

rgrocott
03.06.2013 , 03:43 PM | #17
One other thing I'd say. Given that you're already lvl 33, the amount of time needed to go back and level a new gathering profession to the point where you can gather materials during your current quests may simply not be worth it.

As someone else mentioned, you don't *need" these professions, they're just a nice-to-have that makes your life easier. I suspect that the amount of time you'd spend levelling those professions would be significantly more than the time they'll save you getting to level 50. Maybe just do the questing/flashpoint thing for now, and when you start your next alt and decide what crew skills they'll have, you can pick up a supporting mission-based skill on your Marauder, and level it easily with your 5 companions and all the spare cash you will hopefully have at level 50

Shiziticus
03.06.2013 , 03:55 PM | #18
Hey Rgrcot---Thanx again for the input. Much appreciated. Thanks for the link too....it's very helpful. I'll do just as you've suggested. It'll work out OK since, thus far, 'slicing' is the only crew skill which I've managed to get going on. You might think it's kinda funny that an guy my age is into this, but in truth, I wish I'd tried this 'MMO' stuff years ago....'cause I really like it alot. I'm considering, now, spending a little money and building my own computer which I use solely for SWTOR, but alas, I'm kind of at a loss as to 'where' to go online for advice...??? Might you have any suggestions...??? The problem I'm having is this : I can't find a source through which to make component choices which WILL do the job MINUS the bias of a salesman attempting to get me to 'spend' 2 or 3 times the amount I truly need to. I simplly want to build a system that WILL allow me to run the game in 'HD'....meaning that I REALLY want to experience the game in the highest resolution possible at this point in time, and, which will grant me a 'lag free' gaming experience. I'm really having difficulty finding someone who can tell me what I need compontent wise to build a system optimized for leveraging 'SWTOR'. For instance, I already know I DO NOT need anything like dual graphic cards, but that I DO need a high end chipset as well as a single high end graphics card, as well as a sturdy motherboard.....but......Who should I go with....???....Intel OR AMD...??? Nvidia OR EVGA...??? I'm by no means rich, but I DO have a few bucks set aside to do this. ANY advice you might be able to share would be very much appreciated. Again, thanks very much for your help / time. I can't wait to get enough legacy points to get myself a jet-pack...! By the way, what server do YOU play on currently...??? Are you a PVP player...???

Infalliable
03.06.2013 , 04:09 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by JacksonMo View Post
^^ This!
You CAN make money crafting, but you will ALWAYS make money gathering.
If you check prices on GTN, you can often find items listed much lower than the competition.
I like to do this with things I'm already selling since the prices are fresh in my mind.
+1 crafting is almost always a loss unless you really put time into researching what sells then being dedicated to it. It costs alot to level it up mission skills (which are needed for most of the things ppl want) and it's hard to get those credits back. For a new player, it's easier to not worry about making anything.

Gather and sell. Use planetary commendations or mission rewards to keep you in decent equipment.

rgrocott
03.06.2013 , 04:54 PM | #20
@Shiziticus, I can't really help you on PC components - I'm in the UK, so I'm not familiar with US hardware vendors. What I can say is that SWTOR is not a very demanding game when it comes to graphics - I have a Radeon 5850 graphics card, an Intel i5 processor, and the game runs smoothly for me with everything except shadows set to High. In short, it's not the sort of game that requires a dedicated PC to run well