Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

tanking X-37 Oppressor Droid in HM MP, avoiding pull/aoe

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
tanking X-37 Oppressor Droid in HM MP, avoiding pull/aoe

PostalS
02.11.2013 , 02:30 PM | #1
I was playing my DPS Sorc the other day and saw something I didn't quite understand the mechanics of. An assassin tank took on the X-37 Oppressor droid at close range. He got knocked back. Then he seemed to stay in the area he landed and kept aggro. Somehow the rest of the group wasn't getting pulled towards him for that awful aoe attack it does. I know at least one of the team was MDPS and up close. I was trying to keep my distance as was the healer. I was trying to focus on DPS so I didn't have a chance to closely observe what was going on. I wrote down his name real quick to ask him about it later, but he dropped out and we had to re queue for a replacement. He didn't reply to my email asking him about it.

(SIdenote: is it just me or has something changed with dropouts? I remember DC's showing a disconnection graphic on top of the portrait. Now people just seem to disappear entirely and their portrait is gone. )

I've been trying to find info on this strategy, assuming it is a strategy and not just a fluke, but have had little success. I have no assassin/shadow first hand experience. I want to somehow use this strat for my tank if possible. My main is a guardian tank. It is for him I want to understand this better.

Can anyone explain what they were doing exactly and how the pull and aoe attack was being avoided?

Thanks for your time.

Griad
02.13.2013 , 04:50 AM | #2
Assassin tanks can hold agro at 10m, its not optimal but they can also depending on DPS and guard
Elder Jedi - pre-cu jedi enforcer - pre-publish 9 dark jedi master.

Proud member of DILIH Red Eclipse

PostalS
02.13.2013 , 10:16 AM | #3
I didn't know that, but this tank was as far away as I was. Out of the enemy pull range. Around 25 or so I think.

rob_y
02.13.2013 , 01:02 PM | #4
I don't remember the mechanics of that fight really, but even a Guardian / Jug can hold aggro at 30m, in general. After a certain point in a fight you can maintain aggro by just taunting on cooldown, without attacking at all (obviously your DPS will be horrible).
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five