Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Game Update 1.7 Developer Blog: Galactic Reputation

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Game Update 1.7 Developer Blog: Galactic Reputation
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MrSchmo
02.06.2013 , 01:13 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Victus View Post
My main question for this is:

Are there going to be any other perks, besides titles; to make us as players want to spend timing farming reputation?

Will we get access to exclusive vendors with gear and other items? Or something along those lines or do all we get is the title and a pat on the back?
Re-read the blog. It clearly mentions that there is a special reputation vendor to obtain rewards from. So yes there is more then titles.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

dscount
02.06.2013 , 01:14 PM | #222
Well.. 22 pages of pretty much the same conversation.

Roughly 95% say this is not worth it and want 1 of 3 items instead:
1) New content
2) Bugs/Patches to existing
3) Legacy completed

The 5% seems to think this is new content and worth looking into before making any judgement calls.

ME: I want to see Legacy completed before some other grind is released. IF by some magical means BW actually has something worthwhile in story for rewards then great. (History has shown that is usually not the case - those QQ just read the forums and you will find that list - not going to repeat)

Example:
  • Schematics to Master craftable 27 items would be a REAL Reward!
  • Something that enable STAT Boosts (Datacron unlock) would be a REAL Reward!
  • Legacy gear (Lightsaber) that I can move my hilts around would be REAL Reward.
  • REP points to purchase RARE Drops from Cartel Packs is a REAL Reward!

NOT New ORANGE gear with crap mods/enh is NOT a real reward for those doing Elder content already (61 / 63 geared). If that is the target audience then STOP now.
Reference Link: Why not? http://www.swtor.com/r/FDltnT
WTB Legacy Bound Ear, Implants, Relics

PadawanDavid
02.06.2013 , 01:24 PM | #223
I'm online right now. Typing this letter. At the moment though ORIGINs sign in tells me I have to go online to access my account. I clicked on, "Go online" Nothing happens. I clicked to play Star Wars The Old Republic and it gave me this message, "The Login service is currently unavailable. Please visit our forum for the latest updates on the status for this service ".

What a coincidence that when I sign on to ORIGINs it says I am offline. And what a coincidence the game won't let me get into it either. I wonder what or who is blocking me from signing into either Origin or Star Wars The Old Republic, and without so much as a hint why they both aren't available on these Updates on the status of the service.
And there is no update as to why the service is not available.

ARE THE SERVICES under a total lock down?

Hmm? Maybe I was too LOUD?

I wrote the following yesterday and it sure seems to be a BIG coincidence. I did not even get a message telling me if I was being banned or not. Did the Republic WIN?

Quote: Originally Posted by PadawanDavid View Post
I sure hope this patch isn't going to be like the last one after it updates to the latest file saying, "An Error has occurred please click on Repair." (5 files). Followed by a scan, which when it is over a replay says it found so many damaged files and it takes several hours of my paid subscribers account waiting for it to scan them.

Only to find out after it does that it restarts the update downloading installs the file 101 and says again, "An error has occurred please do a repair. (5 Files found)

I have had this same installation problem happen 3 times since I began with the same number of (5 files) while I've been a paying subscriber of Star Wars - The Old Republic. The first time was just before I would have earned the Founders status symbol and would have been given it for being such a good guy and paying for the game time.

Which I think you should send me to the MMO eMail account so I get it there when I enter the game again, "as promised".

Heezdedjim
02.06.2013 , 01:26 PM | #224
Quote: Originally Posted by mandrillagon View Post
Solo players who want to pursue a path for end game rewards without subjecting themselves to having to grind with a group through flashpoints have such an option now through the reputation system hopefully.
There is nothing that suggests this is aimed at solo players, or even doable by solo players, other than the hard mode space missions. H4s on Voss might be soloable if you're stupidly overgeared, but I doubt it. The Section X weekly also requires that you complete the heroics there, which are not solable. The hard mode space missions are by definition solable, but only if you fork out the CC or credits for the Grade 7 ship parts, and even then they are not exactly fun for many people. Since you have to buy the gear up front just in order to do them, there really isn't a reason to do them, other than (now) grinding stupid rep points.

So this really isn't a very solo or "casual" friendly scheme at all, since you can't get rep points from doing the sorts of things that solo or casual players are likely to do or able to do easily. If anything it's the opposite; another grind that will be maxed out only by those who are already maxing out on everything every week, and who have nothing left to do to fill up their endless hours of play time.

Urael
02.06.2013 , 01:34 PM | #225
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
There is nothing that suggests this is aimed at solo players, or even doable by solo players, other than the hard mode space missions. H4s on Voss might be soloable if you're stupidly overgeared, but I doubt it. The Section X weekly also requires that you complete the heroics there, which are not solable. The hard mode space missions are by definition solable, but only if you fork out the CC or credits for the Grade 7 ship parts, and even then they are not exactly fun for many people. Since you have to buy the gear up front just in order to do them, there really isn't a reason to do them, other than (now) grinding stupid rep points.

So this really isn't a very solo or "casual" friendly scheme at all, since you can't get rep points from doing the sorts of things that solo or casual players are likely to do or able to do easily.
Indeed.

One thing you have to say favorably about the WoW rep grinds. They are soloable. Do you get "top end rewards"? No, nor should you but, the items obtained from the rep vendors are usually "stepping stones" to get you to top tier gear via Heroics and finally to Raids.

The other thing about WoW rep grinds is that if you are a solo player (and an altoholic) they give you more than enough content (especially the new MoP rep grinds) to hold you over from "update to update" with in an expansion let alone "expansion to expansion".

What is presented for rep grinds for SWTOR has none of this and will be more "content" that is not playable by many players (especially given that the areas they want us to grind in are many of the least favorable parts of the game currently). Hokum!

well
02.06.2013 , 03:10 PM | #226
So this isn't for playing thru the actually game.That might be my take on it but with Legacy you actually could go 1-50 and gain points.

SuperUsti
02.06.2013 , 03:11 PM | #227
I wonder...do the devs read this stuff? I know mods do but does the info get passed to people that can impact the game? If they do read all this stuff (which I honestly don't think they do) then they would not implement this system. There are way more people that are against the rep system then for it.
I, for one, really love new content...but almost everything that's "new" in this game is either a) not new and just repackaged old stuff, or b) only half works (at best) and never gets fixed/completed.

keitzy
02.06.2013 , 03:20 PM | #228
Please don't follow Blizzards mistake with REP grinds. This is a fail model. Just look at Mists Of Pandaria.
Rep grinds are just a poor way of getting us to prolong subscriptions.
I came back to swtor because I got sick of grinding poor reputation grinds to get gated gear.
The rep grind was a sure way of getting a player burned out real fast.

Your Cartel Shop and Legacy is an excellent feature.
Please stick with this and don't think that World Of Dailies Rep model is better.

Urael
02.06.2013 , 03:26 PM | #229
Quote: Originally Posted by keitzy View Post
Please don't follow Blizzards mistake with REP grinds. This is a fail model. Just look at Mists Of Pandaria.
Rep grinds are just a poor way of getting us to prolong subscriptions.
I came back to swtor because I got sick of grinding poor reputation grinds to get gated gear.
The rep grind was a sure way of getting a player burned out real fast.

Your Cartel Shop and Legacy is an excellent feature.
Please stick with this and don't think that World Of Dailies Rep model is better.
SWTOR already has it's burn out end game grind called daily comms for top end gear. Same thing different package.

What is of issue regarding 1.7 is the attempt to make this "sound new" and "sound wonderful". When it is not really that new ( as far as ideas are concerned ) and recycles old content many don't find worth the effort to attempt.

Putting a "new incentive" in the game to play old failed content really isn't imaginitive. No amount of CS shinies can distract from this failed attempt at serving up stone soup!

keitzy
02.06.2013 , 03:47 PM | #230
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
SWTOR already has it's burn out end game grind called daily comms for top end gear. Same thing different package.

What is of issue regarding 1.7 is the attempt to make this "sound new" and "sound wonderful". When it is not really that new ( as far as ideas are concerned ) and recycles old content many don't find worth the effort to attempt.

Putting a "new incentive" in the game to play old failed content really isn't imaginitive. No amount of CS shinies can distract from this failed attempt at serving up stone soup!
Ah but I'm not forced to dailies every day to advance. Where with the WOW model. If you don't do dailies, you don't receive the rep, can't get your three useless coins for LFR /Raids and your valor is capped at 1000. This is because LFR drops are horrible and if you don't do dailies then raiding guilds will not raid with you.

If I grind the dailies every day in SWTOR, I am not capped out plus your not forced into using valor to get gear with in SWTOR.
If I want gear I can do all the GF stuff and get BH comms which will get me gear where with WOW there is slight chance at poor gear drop ratios and because your valor is capped at 1000 you cannot buy that one piece until next week if capped at 1000 because the cheapest is 1250. To get a head piece will take 3 weeks to aquire as it is 2250 plus it i also locked behind a tier of rep, so you are forced to grind each rep to unlock that item . For 3 weeks my poor monk healer received no gear and was stuck at ilvl 475. In one day I have had a guildy almost full rak gear with a piece of BH gear in SWTOR.

I really love doing Section X. I love knowing that I'm getting rewarded well for my effforts. Black Hole are fast and efficient making them also great to grind.