Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My hat off to people who play dedicated tanks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
My hat off to people who play dedicated tanks

psandak
02.05.2013 , 12:45 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by caveslug View Post
First, get out of the tank tree for leveling. The damage is horrendous in tank spec for Guardians, PT's and Assassins can pull it off. Because they have the dps in those trees, and aren't gimped by there resource.
As someone who had never really tanked in an MMO prior to SWTOR, I disagree with this statement. For someone like me (who has never tanked before), having a companion and being a tank, you can learn how to tank and have no fear of being yelled at or kicked from a group for being a "newb". Yes, the mob killing is slower, but in my opinion, that is time well spent, if when you jump into a group you know what you are doing. And when you get your healer companion....you are INVINCIBLE!!!

Pantaro
02.05.2013 , 12:50 PM | #22
As someone who recently discovered healing and love it i've been in so many bad group that i dont even wanna be bothered with it anymore.So i know exactly how you feel.An from a healing perspective GOOD tanks are hard to find in this game!

some people dont realize a healer is only as good as his tank,so to all the good tanks thank you for what u do!

Pantaro
02.05.2013 , 12:52 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
As someone who had never really tanked in an MMO prior to SWTOR, I disagree with this statement. For someone like me (who has never tanked before), having a companion and being a tank, you can learn how to tank and have no fear of being yelled at or kicked from a group for being a "newb". Yes, the mob killing is slower, but in my opinion, that is time well spent, if when you jump into a group you know what you are doing. And when you get your healer companion....you are INVINCIBLE!!!
totally agree I LOVE leveling as a tank hell being a tank even makes me enjoy PVP and i hate PVP!

Elyxin
02.05.2013 , 01:05 PM | #24
Very Heavy thanks to the OP and all the DPS who have positively chimed in on this thread.

Long time MMO player, been tanking since I chose the warrior to play in DAoC (totally random pick, sounded cool...think it was warrior). I enjoy DPS and healing too, but I've always tanked.

I do think that the one thing that gets most tanks to quit are the whiney and inconsiderate DPS who make the run not only hard, but blame the tank and/or are simply disrespectful to the role. it IS a tough role, even with good DPS. i think the second category would the the healers who think one heal per pull is sufficient, and spend the rest the time DPS'ing. It's one thing to die with the healer spamming heals...but when you know you only got one heal each fight...and you die about every other fight...either way, poorly played healers/DPS make a tanks life miserable.

I too think that tanking should be mandatory. even if just for a bit, to show what a tank goes through. extended tanking experience can actually help you be a better DPS! the awareness skills and group skills you learn as a tank make you an awesome DPS....I can usually tell which DPS are also tanks....the awareness skills are pretty obvious.

And just to finish it off, although frustrating DPS can ruin a run, well played DPS who know their class, assist the tank, and appreciate the tanks effort are the reason we do it often in the first place. a well run instance is a tanks joy! so those of you out there who appreciate it let the tank know...you will probably earn a pocket tank for life

AelixVII
02.05.2013 , 01:10 PM | #25
I've just recently started levelling a Guardian tank and have found a similar thing (random pulls, dpsing instead of healing) but the more I play the more it makes me appreciate good tanks

caveslug
02.05.2013 , 01:13 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
If you enjoy leveling that way sure, my only comment was that for a guardian / jugg its very gimpy. You may take less damage, and last longer with a healing companion but you kill mobs twice as slow. I leveled my jugg dps, and with a healing companion I came out of ever fight at 90%+ help also.

You say you learned to tank leveling up, well I can't really argue with that. I can only say I don't hold with that. I will say this, holding threat on trash mobs when its just your healer companion is cake. Its going to be a rude awakening when you do a FP and have over geared DPS with no desire to follow a kill order that will give you a nice shock to the system.

Either way I'm not here to argue which is the spec one should use to level with, I should have clarified that it was my opinion. And one should level with spec the find best for them.
#1 reply to all PvP threads.....L2P

DawgPoundSwag
02.05.2013 , 01:33 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
I enjoy tanking on my Juggernaut & Guardian. It's old school where threat is earned via technique - not by competing with dps for damage aggro. Where taunts and aggro bombs are kept in reserve for emergencies & breakaways. I like the challenge of having to keep my toon's head on a constant swivel and having to use terrain features to break LOS & set up dps. I also like my tanking to be up close & personal, hence the preference for Jug & Guardian. Gimmie one taunt, one aggro bomb, one stun and one interrupt & I'll tank Godzilla with a whiffle bat and a frisbee.
This post, and in particular, this quote, is so full of win, I had to snag it.

Great topic all around and shoutout to the deeps and heals who allow us to do our thing!
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
Gimmie one taunt, one aggro bomb, one stun and one interrupt & I'll tank Godzilla with a whiffle bat and a frisbee.
Big Time Pryor - Juggernaut - Death Sentence

SleepyKing
02.05.2013 , 01:37 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
If someone gives me the impression that they're racing the content and keeps pulling more groups, I simply warn them that I'll taunt the mobs of their back only once. Next time they do it, I leave them to rot, run off, and let the encounter reset itself.
I haven't done that yet, but god I have been tempted to. Especially in Kaon, where dps will run ahead of the group and pull groups of enemies and then expect the tank to come and taunt them off. I have been so tempted to say "you wanna tank, you tank!" and let them die under the claws of rakghouls.

With a good group, tanking can be great fun. It's an extra challenge, requiring leadership, quick thought and reaction, while DPSing can sometimes be boringly mechanical. Sometimes you want the low energy play of DPSing, but if you're feeling zippy and want an extra challenge, tanking is great.

Quote: Originally Posted by Elyxin View Post
I too think that tanking should be mandatory. even if just for a bit, to show what a tank goes through. extended tanking experience can actually help you be a better DPS! the awareness skills and group skills you learn as a tank make you an awesome DPS....I can usually tell which DPS are also tanks....the awareness skills are pretty obvious.
Totally agree on that point, too. Every DPS should also try their hand at healing as well. It makes them appreciate things like kill orders and how healers are not magical creatures that can just heal the party through any situation, no matter how dumb the rest of the party plays.

FeelFlow
02.05.2013 , 02:15 PM | #29
I levelled my Guardian tank from 10- 50 as a tank and whilst most pugs were good, wow it was slow to level. This game definitely needs dual spec ie so those that are noble enough to level as a tank (or indeed, a healer) can also have access to a solo grinding/questing spec.

Jetsunz
02.05.2013 , 02:18 PM | #30
First toon i made in this game was a tank...Jedi Guard,..full defense tree all way to the top,...I leveled him up that way,..slow but got there and know my class cold inside and out,..however,...I solo him....I refuse to group in this game

This game has the worst community I ever experienced in my 12 yrs of mmo gaming,...it's horrendous. People in this game just want to dps down every flashpoint and not coordinate with a tank and healer. I posted a thread about this very subject,....remove tanks , healers and dps....the trinity system simply does not work in pick up groups in mmo's

Worst group experience of any mmo I ever played so I solo every class now