Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why the Jedi weren't be able to sense Sidious?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why the Jedi weren't be able to sense Sidious?

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
02.04.2013 , 02:24 AM | #11
I checked the novel of EP III. Obi Wan did feel "The darkness closing in around them both." when Sidious' shuttle was coming.

Vinjar's Avatar


Vinjar
02.04.2013 , 06:37 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Inzuher View Post
Sidious used force concleament to hide his presence, more specificly called quey'tek meditation. This abillties was also used by Darth Caedus and Darth Plagueis. If you want to read more about this read the Plagueis book where this is explained.
Also Darth Zannah. Good call.

disgruntledsith's Avatar


disgruntledsith
02.04.2013 , 09:07 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Dooku and Maul both can sense it well of where did it come from, why can't the Jedi sense it?
I would place my money on it being that Sidious didn't bother to cloud the minds of Dooku and Maul. You know, on account of them being on his side, and not being the people he wanted to decieve. I'm sure deceiving the entire Jedi order was already a strain, it would make sense if he didn't cloud anybody more than was absolutely necessary.
Today you will learn who truly holds the power in this Empire. Not Darth Malgus, not the Dark Council, but me.

Darkondo's Avatar


Darkondo
02.04.2013 , 09:51 AM | #14
Again, it was due to the kyber crystal that the Jedi werent able to sense Sidious.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
02.04.2013 , 11:14 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkondo View Post
Again, it was due to the kyber crystal that the Jedi werent able to sense Sidious.
Obi Wan was able to sense him in the end of EP III.

Darkondo's Avatar


Darkondo
02.04.2013 , 12:28 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Obi Wan was able to sense him in the end of EP III.
When he had already revealed himself to the jedi I might add, so he had no need for it masking his presense.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
02.04.2013 , 12:34 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkondo View Post
When he had already revealed himself to the jedi I might add, so he had no need for it masking his presense.
There is no way he could mask his presence when he is using the power of the Dark Side to fight.

Lord_O_Death_Joe's Avatar


Lord_O_Death_Joe
02.04.2013 , 08:54 PM | #18
Just to be clear:

1) Sidious masked his presence well, as is referenced again and again in the movies or hinted at although unspoken.
2) Not only did he use the dark side to cloud the jedi, the scope and size of his power seems to have obsured the source of that darkness, even in this latest episode 16.
2) He clearly released his full power in the dark side fighting Windu, and his face visiblely changed. Doing so suddenly seemed to have clued the jedi in on his true nature and power.
3) Since his face doesn't change fighting Maul and Savage, my personal guess would be he didn't fully release the dark side, which also explains how Maul held his own as well as he did. If anyone would have sensed his presence during that combat, Sidious most likely guessed they would eventually attribute it to Maul and Savage, so his cover was 'safe' to go in person.

So really no conflict here, the story was put together well.
-
*.....*.,,....Lv fr r d lk pr....,,.*......*
.......,~,.....Srh hrugh Awsmss.....,~,.......
.._.~;`~._,;~,................... Joe ....................,~;,_.~`;~._..

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
02.04.2013 , 08:59 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_O_Death_Joe View Post
Just to be clear:

1) Sidious masked his presence well, as is referenced again and again in the movies or hinted at although unspoken.
2) Not only did he use the dark side to cloud the jedi, the scope and size of his power seems to have obsured the source of that darkness, even in this latest episode 16.
2) He clearly released his full power in the dark side fighting Windu, and his face visiblely changed. Doing so suddenly seemed to have clued the jedi in on his true nature and power.
3) Since his face doesn't change fighting Maul and Savage, my personal guess would be he didn't fully release the dark side, which also explains how Maul held his own as well as he did. If anyone would have sensed his presence during that combat, Sidious most likely guessed they would eventually attribute it to Maul and Savage, so his cover was 'safe' to go in person.

So really no conflict here, the story was put together well.
He was not cloaking himself, the novel Shadow Conspiracy showed to those who could feel the Force they could feel the dreadful darknees in him.
His face did change, in the novel it was said his chin was pale and his eyes are yellow.

Darkondo's Avatar


Darkondo
02.04.2013 , 09:10 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
There is no way he could mask his presence when he is using the power of the Dark Side to fight.
He wasnt using the power of the dark side to conceal himself, he was using the kyber crystal to do that.