Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why the Jedi weren't be able to sense Sidious?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why the Jedi weren't be able to sense Sidious?

Slowpokeking
02.02.2013 , 11:54 PM | #1
In EP III's novel when Dooku summoned the power of the Dark Side to strengthen himself he could see Palpatine as "absolute, perfect nothingness. Darkness beyond Darkness". In the Shadow Conspiracy it was also mentioned "To them(who could feel the Force), he was a dark sun blazing with power that is simultaneously hypnotizing and terrifying to behold." It's not like Yoda is weak at sense the Dark Side, he sensed Maul's return from so far away.

I agree he should be able to hide his presence in the Force when he is not doing anything, but when he is using his power like this episode, it is weird that the Jedi still could not sense it. At least they should be able to sense a dreadful darkness in the palace even if they could not identify it.

ImperialHippy
02.03.2013 , 06:03 AM | #2
They could sense it, the problem was that it was so massive that it was blinding. They couldn't pin point where or from whom it was coming, it was simply everywhere. Or palpatine was using the darkside to cloud their senses as mace windu suggests when he says to yoda maybe its time to tell the senate that our power to use the force has diminished, to which yoda replies only the dark lord of the sith knows of our weakness.

Thats how i always thought of it anayway.

SNCommand
02.03.2013 , 07:40 AM | #3
What I gathered was that all the war and misery in the galaxy was clouding his presence, that and he was good at hiding his true colors

Spoiler
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Inzuher
02.03.2013 , 07:52 AM | #4
Sidious used force concleament to hide his presence, more specificly called quey'tek meditation. This abillties was also used by Darth Caedus and Darth Plagueis. If you want to read more about this read the Plagueis book where this is explained.
"I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night, and silences the light.".

Kristjansa
02.03.2013 , 10:02 AM | #5
The Jedi were too busy trolling guys, who actually got things done, like how Mace always trolled Anakin and Obi-Wan.

In other words, their egos blinded them.

Slowpokeking
02.03.2013 , 10:43 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Inzuher View Post
Sidious used force concleament to hide his presence, more specificly called quey'tek meditation. This abillties was also used by Darth Caedus and Darth Plagueis. If you want to read more about this read the Plagueis book where this is explained.
I've read it.
It could only his presence when he's not using the power of the Dark Side, in EP III's novel Anakin could also feel him through the Force when he was fighting Windu.

Darkondo
02.03.2013 , 11:00 AM | #7
I thought it was due to the kyber crystal that Sidious was able to hide his presense from the jedi.

Slowpokeking
02.03.2013 , 11:01 AM | #8
Also both Maul and Dooku could feel the Darkness from him.

That's why I'm against this let Palpatine go by himself plot.

Jonoku
02.03.2013 , 11:10 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ImperialHippy View Post
They could sense it, the problem was that it was so massive that it was blinding. They couldn't pin point where or from whom it was coming, it was simply everywhere. Or palpatine was using the darkside to cloud their senses as mace windu suggests when he says to yoda maybe its time to tell the senate that our power to use the force has diminished, to which yoda replies only the dark lord of the sith knows of our weakness.

Simply this ya, the darkside clouded everything, too difficult to sense who it was, too strong. Palpatine clouded everything for yoda because yoda was powerful and he would sense Darth sidious if Palpatine had not clouded him.

Yoda: "The darkside clouds everything......"

Slowpokeking
02.03.2013 , 11:12 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ImperialHippy View Post

Dooku and Maul both can sense it well of where did it come from, why can't the Jedi sense it?