Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Another way to look at Resolve

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Another way to look at Resolve

TalonKorr
02.01.2013 , 07:50 PM | #1
I play a 28k health PvP Tank Guardian, and a 19.5k health Combat Sentinel. Two archetypes that are at the extremes in survivability. What I've noticed is this.

On my Guardian I have the luxury of sitting around and waiting for a "whitebar" to kick in. My Hitpoints, Defense, Mitigation and Cooldowns will allow me to get fully whitebar'd before dying. In addition, Tank Guardians are suppose to save their breaks for emergency situations as it stands. So, no problems here.

On my Sentinel however, I have nowhere near that luxury. The ideal time to use a stun break is when one becomes freshly whitebar'd, it makes the most sense. In practice though, getting whitebar'd never/rarely happens before I'm killed.

In effect, the current resolve system has removed the stun break from my sentinel. If I use the stun break early, I'm just CC'd again, if I wait till I'm whitebar'd, I'm probably already dead. I can think of no better illustration of a broken system.

Thanks for reading, just offering to put a constantly mentioned problem into a different perspective.
Flak / <Lethal Dose Fifty> / <LD-Fifty> - Jedi Covenant - Juggernaut
Retired: Adrams/Feesh/Cates/Grisha/Scuf/Michaleen

CarpeSangrea
02.01.2013 , 07:57 PM | #2
I was gonna post something similar to this. You pretty much nailed it.

Resolve technically functions, but from a design standpoint it's horribly broken.

Athena-Nike
02.01.2013 , 08:08 PM | #3
Yes Resolve is amazing at preventing more chain stuns while it tick down as I'm in the respawn area waiting for the Voidstar barrier to go down allowing me to go back into battle with no resolve and fully vulnerable again... Unless you're a tank or have sold healers backing you its not gonna help.

Its almost backwards, it helps those that need it least the most and those that need it the most least. Tanks should be able to (and can) absorb damage long enough to survive chain stuns and thus rely on resolve less, and healers/dps (except maybe maras/sents) can barley survive 1-2 stuns and thus need resolve most yet benefit least from it (as they die before resolve fills).

adiwantinova
02.01.2013 , 08:39 PM | #4
Not to mention the fact that when killed with a white bar, your odds of being stuck behind a 4 bar door seem great enough that by the time you're ready to get back into the action, it's already gone to a fresh unfilled bar, and you'll meet the same fate soon enough.
ADI-WAN TINOVA
Adi-Wan, Sentinel | Theresee, Sage | Kahlvin, Guardian
The Shadowlands | <RotJ> | <Triumph>

Royox
02.01.2013 , 09:07 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonKorr View Post
I play a 28k health PvP Tank Guardian, and a 19.5k health Combat Sentinel. Two archetypes that are at the extremes in survivability. What I've noticed is this.

On my Guardian I have the luxury of sitting around and waiting for a "whitebar" to kick in. My Hitpoints, Defense, Mitigation and Cooldowns will allow me to get fully whitebar'd before dying. In addition, Tank Guardians are suppose to save their breaks for emergency situations as it stands. So, no problems here.

On my Sentinel however, I have nowhere near that luxury. The ideal time to use a stun break is when one becomes freshly whitebar'd, it makes the most sense. In practice though, getting whitebar'd never/rarely happens before I'm killed.

In effect, the current resolve system has removed the stun break from my sentinel. If I use the stun break early, I'm just CC'd again, if I wait till I'm whitebar'd, I'm probably already dead. I can think of no better illustration of a broken system.

Thanks for reading, just offering to put a constantly mentioned problem into a different perspective.

If you are a smash monkey you deserved that.

TalonKorr
02.01.2013 , 09:12 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Royox View Post
Thank you for carefully reading my post where I mentioned PvP Tank Guardian and Combat Sentinel.

My point is, for the majority of people, the two minute stun break ability might as well not exist because there is never going to be an optimal time to use it.
Flak / <Lethal Dose Fifty> / <LD-Fifty> - Jedi Covenant - Juggernaut
Retired: Adrams/Feesh/Cates/Grisha/Scuf/Michaleen

byteresistor
02.01.2013 , 09:16 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Royox View Post
Show me on the doll where the smash touched you.

Zenates
02.01.2013 , 09:28 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by byteresistor View Post
Show me on the doll where the smash touched you.
Disclaimer: I agree with the Original Thread author 100%.

If everyone is touching you in the bad places, you may want to put on some clothes. Or stand on a different corner or something.

Royox
02.01.2013 , 09:30 PM | #9
What if the Stun Remover could fill the resolve bar when used? That would solve a lot.

foxmob
02.01.2013 , 09:34 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonKorr View Post
Thank you for carefully reading my post where I mentioned PvP Tank Guardian and Combat Sentinel.

My point is, for the majority of people, the two minute stun break ability might as well not exist because there is never going to be an optimal time to use it.
LOL the smashmonkey comment was rather random.
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH