Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Experiences of being a Sniper in pvp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Experiences of being a Sniper in pvp

cashogy_reborn
02.01.2013 , 05:48 AM | #11
sniper is one of the most well rounded classes in the game. got tools to deal with everything
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

NoTomorrow
02.01.2013 , 05:55 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Eszi View Post
As sniper you are either:
1. Not being noticed, freecasting and facerolling stuff
2. Being noticed and getting facerolled
In a warzone with good teams the only one who is not noticed is the stealthed player.

Talking about unnoticed snipers facerolling everybody is like talking about sentinels with pocket scoundrels. Neither require skill to perform well.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Eszi
02.01.2013 , 06:18 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
In a warzone with good teams the only one who is not noticed is the stealthed player.

Talking about unnoticed snipers facerolling everybody is like talking about sentinels with pocket scoundrels. Neither require skill to perform well.
So, if a sentinel and a scoundrel do a 6v2 it's not skill?
You'd be surprised how many sentinels can't even kill one target despite being healed

Chlomamf
02.01.2013 , 06:31 AM | #14
The same could be said for every class. If you're getting focused on a Sin, Mara, Sorc, whatever you are going to get facerolled. Unless you're part of a good Premade.

Regardless, I will admit that one of the reasons we Snipers are so good is because most of the enemies are too busy attacking the Healers and such to notice us. And even when they do I find it quite easy to kill them, either by myself or with Teammates. This is ofcourse based on what the class I'm vsing is and wether they're smart.

mattycutts
02.01.2013 , 06:38 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
I know that I am going to have my butt handed to me at level 50 but even still I look forward to the challenge. I know I will be against groups of full EWH players and all that. But it does not worry me because even if I get smashed a few times I still will enjoy myself because as I have said being a Sniper is great fun.
Glad to hear you enjoy it, i too am a mm sniper and i hit 50 when most had their full bm sets and some wh and trust me you will die alot but dont give up. once you get ya gear to a good point you will find all those deaths were well worth it

little tip im sure u are aware off, once you hit 40 and valor rank 40 get any warzone commondations turned into ranked ones b4 you hit 50 so u can get a few good bits of your war hero set soon as you hit 50
RED ECLIPSE - Eternal Dawn (Rep) / The Deathbringers (emp)
(Ground & Space PVP only)
Empire - Quickblast / Quickstrike / Quickblow / Quickcast / Toretto
Republic - Quickblasts / Quickslam / Quickvolley
Former Baccas Blade / Nightmare Lands

NoTomorrow
02.01.2013 , 06:51 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Chlomamf View Post
The same could be said for every class. If you're getting focused on a Sin, Mara, Sorc, whatever you are going to get facerolled. Unless you're part of a good Premade.

Regardless, I will admit that one of the reasons we Snipers are so good is because most of the enemies are too busy attacking the Healers and such to notice us. And even when they do I find it quite easy to kill them, either by myself or with Teammates. This is ofcourse based on what the class I'm vsing is and wether they're smart.
I never believed in this theory of enemy noticing or not noticing me. They always notice me, marauders, sorcs and PT, I bet my X-52 Wraith Infiltrator Sniper rifle that they are noticing me. A Sniper becomes exponentially more powerful the better team mates he has. When there is a marauder in your face or an assassin in your back, you will not care about that sniper over there. You will have more pressing matters. And why not kill the sniper's minions first when you can ignore the sniper DPS by just getting out of his line of sight, thus focusing on the mDPS that can follow you behind the corner? For this very reason i am often the last one to die.

As a sniper you are only as good as:
1. Your team mates are capable to "aggro" the enemy
2. Enemy healers allow you to burst
3. Enemy shadows allow you to live.

This is why Deception/Infiltration is such a powerful spec, it doesn't need to deal with somebody sitting in their face and occupying their attention, they are truely free to pick their targets. As long as Deception exists in current form, Sniper as a class will always be balanced simply because they have such a powerful hard counter. Heh, it reminds me of Spy vs Sniper relationship in team fortress 2.
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

islander
02.01.2013 , 07:42 AM | #17
The class is great, but you are far from facing the real resistance in lwbie pvp. Nobody has their full set of cooldowns available to counter you. Also you are not facing valor 100 enemies that have mastered their class. Get ready for some rude awakening at lvl 50.
Actually, maybe I'm just weird, but I did BETTER at 50 PvP then 10-49 PvP. Of course, I started my first WZ with about 1250 or so expertise.I think it was mostly the learning curve on positioning yourself correctly. Positioning is huge, huge for a class that's largely immobile and it seemed to take me most of the first 50 valor ranks to get that experience.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

islander
02.01.2013 , 07:49 AM | #18
not entirely true, yes, against a GOOD rated heavy...but for the vast majority of folks reading this and queueing warzones (normal) not entirely so. I've solo'd more then my fair share of Vanguards, Shadows, and Sentinels in normals as marksman, much less engineering which I'm simply not good at yet. If I'm attacked in a place where the opponent can't 'block' my ambush knockback, he's going to lose more times then not.

Sometimes folks gotta remember, I'd say only about 6-8% of all people who queue for warzones do so for rated. Just Wednesday night my guilds team sat in queue for 45 minutes before something came up. That sucks.

NoTomorrow
02.01.2013 , 07:55 AM | #19
You just got better at playing sniper. One small bonus is Target Acquired at lvl 50 which was the final nail in the coffin to the Warriors relying on saber ward against us.

islander
02.01.2013 , 08:02 AM | #20
You just got better at playing sniper. One small bonus is Target Acquired at lvl 50 which was the final nail in the coffin to the Warriors relying on saber ward against us.
Yeah, at first when I hit 50, I was like "seriously, 2 min CD?" then I remembered saber ward's CD was 3 minutes