Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

WTB: Optimizations

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
WTB: Optimizations

cashogy_reborn
01.31.2013 , 01:26 AM | #1
please bioware. please please please please please.

OPTIMIZE THE ENGINE PROPERLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would literally pay them 3 months salary if they made it a priority.

its very annoying when i can see that my GPUs are barely utilizing 50% of its capabilities, my CPU is topping out at 25%, and the game is using <2GB of RAM. my pc has the powah, LET ME USE IT!!!!!!!!

bioware, i make this solemn promise. *if* optimizing the engine to actually run smoothly and utilize available hardware appropriately is made a priority, i will *never* make a rude, insulting, or in anyway mean post ever again
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Amebia
01.31.2013 , 04:08 AM | #2
/signed

Ps: Should i stop at around 900 power(stimmed)?

Eszi
01.31.2013 , 05:05 AM | #3
inb4 "im maxing this game on a calculator and never drop below 1000000 trillion fps"

MelodicSixNine
01.31.2013 , 06:29 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Eszi View Post
inb4 "im maxing this game on a calculator and never drop below 1000000 trillion fps"
I can't believe those people who come on forums "UH OH IT DOESN'T HAPPEN TO ME! IT DOESN'T EXIST IT'S YOUR PC". I have kinda mid/high end PC and even it ***** itself more then often in warzone. It got to the point I was losing by seconds of lag so I had to turn off shadows to be able to win close duels and EVEN THEN game can be stubborn and clip.

Eszi
01.31.2013 , 09:26 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MelodicSixNine View Post
I can't believe those people who come on forums "UH OH IT DOESN'T HAPPEN TO ME! IT DOESN'T EXIST IT'S YOUR PC". I have kinda mid/high end PC and even it ***** itself more then often in warzone. It got to the point I was losing by seconds of lag so I had to turn off shadows to be able to win close duels and EVEN THEN game can be stubborn and clip.
Yeah, I feel your pain. Running on a 580 and a 6core at 4,5 GHz, cpu usage is averaging around 40%, gpu usage averages around 30%, still in heavy fighting fps is around 20. No matter what settings.
Managed to improve my fps by enabling sparse grid transperancy aa in nvidia inspector (aa improving fps = logic), so now i get 20 fps during a fight, not while running randomly in a middle of nowhere. Best part is the ingame fps monitor that says that it's my gpu that limits my fps, while the usage on the gpu drops when fps drops
But I bet that someone who is "maxing this game on a riva tnt2 and never drops below 110 fps" will come here soon enough.

cashogy_reborn
01.31.2013 , 01:24 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MelodicSixNine View Post
as an experiment i dropped my settings down to LOW last night. in combat in a WZ, i was peaking at 50-60 FPS.

that is nuts.
The King of Bads

Aluvi
01.31.2013 , 01:46 PM | #7
Bioware didn't write the engine. The engine was not ready for production when bioware bought it. It tookbioware several years to reverse engineer and understand their unfinished engine, and make necessary tweaks. If they had based this game on the unreal engine, like tera and many others mmos and fps, it would look much better and have increased performance on all systems. If they had a more robust and capable back end (server), we could have more players in one area. No offense bioware, but blizz figured it out years ago. They dropped the ball on the engine with this game. Go google "hero engine" swtor, you will find a nice write up about it from the engine designers own mouth. They told bioware the engine was not ready. Bioware then offered them an absurd amount of money for the unfinished engine, and who could blame them, they took it.
Aluvien Sith Marauder <Infinite Darkness> Shadowlands
Aluviann Jedi Sentinel <Triumph> Shadowlands

Shatterstar
01.31.2013 , 01:48 PM | #8
Fixing the memory leak issue would go a long way towards improving performance and limiting lag, too.
The Darksabbath Legacy
The Shadowlands
Founder
Use my link for goodies (please): http://www.swtor.com/r/5CKl6v

cashogy_reborn
01.31.2013 , 04:43 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Aluvi View Post
Bioware didn't write the engine. The engine was not ready for production when bioware bought it. It tookbioware several years to reverse engineer and understand their unfinished engine, and make necessary tweaks. If they had based this game on the unreal engine, like tera and many others mmos and fps, it would look much better and have increased performance on all systems. If they had a more robust and capable back end (server), we could have more players in one area. No offense bioware, but blizz figured it out years ago. They dropped the ball on the engine with this game. Go google "hero engine" swtor, you will find a nice write up about it from the engine designers own mouth. They told bioware the engine was not ready. Bioware then offered them an absurd amount of money for the unfinished engine, and who could blame them, they took it.
this story is old news at this point.

it is still no excuse for them to not finish optimizing the engine and coding.
The King of Bads

foxmob
01.31.2013 , 05:25 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Shatterstar View Post
Fixing the memory leak issue would go a long way towards improving performance and limiting lag, too.
what memory leak? I don't remember any memory leak?
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH