Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lightsaber choreography in episode VII

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
lightsaber choreography in episode VII

Wolfninjajedi
02.01.2013 , 12:36 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by SusieBot View Post
I mean, what's up with that part in Ep 3 where Obi-Wan and Anakin are standing about three feet apart, swinging their blades like crazy, and not making any contact. That's just...ugh.
For that bit, its because Anakin and Obi-Wan were so in-sync and knew eachother so well that they were anticipating every attack knowing where to block, hence why they were swinging cause nether of them was able to find an opening. Or at least that is what I remember reading.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

SusieBot
02.01.2013 , 01:12 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
For that bit, its because Anakin and Obi-Wan were so in-sync and knew eachother so well that they were anticipating every attack knowing where to block, hence why they were swinging cause nether of them was able to find an opening. Or at least that is what I remember reading.
I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for it -- maybe they were seeing the future in the Force, and were racing to "out-see" the other person, or that were trapped in some sort of loop of feints and counter-feints. But if you compare that to the final duel of Episode 1 (which, I would argue, is the best-choreographed duel of the entire saga), it just looks silly. In that fight, every blow was an attempt to cut the other person.

It may just be that what they were trying to convey did not translate to the screen (for me, at least). I can sort of get my head around "I went to make a move, but he moved to block it, so I adjusted to another move, and he adjusted to my adjustment..." ad nauseum, but it doesn't map to my knowledge of how swordfights work. Or, more to the point, processing and anticipating at that level doesn't jibe with every other swordfight in the saga.

Or maybe it's just me.

Wolfninjajedi
02.01.2013 , 01:17 PM | #13
I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for it -- maybe they were seeing the future in the Force, and were racing to "out-see" the other person, or that were trapped in some sort of loop of feints and counter-feints. But if you compare that to the final duel of Episode 1 (which, I would argue, is the best-choreographed duel of the entire saga), it just looks silly. In that fight, every blow was an attempt to cut the other person.

It may just be that what they were trying to convey did not translate to the screen (for me, at least). I can sort of get my head around "I went to make a move, but he moved to block it, so I adjusted to another move, and he adjusted to my adjustment..." ad nauseum, but it doesn't map to my knowledge of how swordfights work. Or, more to the point, processing and anticipating at that level doesn't jibe with every other swordfight in the saga.

Or maybe it's just me.
Well you kinda do need to suspend some disbelief in movies, so that you can enjoy them. Trying to throw in RL logic, usually just makes the viewing bad.

Stellatus
02.01.2013 , 03:36 PM | #14
Well you kinda do need to suspend some disbelief in movies, so that you can enjoy them. Trying to throw in RL logic, usually just makes the viewing bad.
If a movie depends on the viewer throwing away logic and reason to stand on its own two feet, it is not a good movie. Suspension of disbelief =/= suspension of common sense.
DROID DOES.

Wolfninjajedi
02.01.2013 , 03:59 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Stellatus View Post
If a movie depends on the viewer throwing away logic and reason to stand on its own two feet, it is not a good movie. Suspension of disbelief =/= suspension of common sense.
Well then trying to apply RL fighting against guys that can do crap with their minds, heightened their senses and bodies to the extreme your gonna look at it in a bad way, am just using the universe's logic in explaining the whole spin thing with Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Rauzgriz
02.01.2013 , 08:07 PM | #16
...and there's no need for strength and momentum, as the blade instantly cuts through whatever it touches.
Not true actually, theres resistance whenever the blade touches or cuts though something. For example, in episode 1 when Qui-gon is cutting through the blast doors on the sep ship, he is visibly putting all of his strength into it.
Lvl 50 Sith Assassin
Lvl 50 Sniper
LGBT player.

Stellatus
02.01.2013 , 08:56 PM | #17
Well then trying to apply RL fighting against guys that can do crap with their minds, heightened their senses and bodies to the extreme your gonna look at it in a bad way, am just using the universe's logic in explaining the whole spin thing with Anakin and Obi-Wan.
You tried to, anyway, and failed. There is no logical reason in-universe or otherwise for them to stand a foot apart and spin their lightsabers around uselessly. It's pointless eye candy.

The over-choreographing completely ruined the Obi/Ani duel. What a travesty.
DROID DOES.

Wolfninjajedi
02.01.2013 , 09:18 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Stellatus View Post
You tried to, anyway, and failed. There is no logical reason in-universe or otherwise for them to stand a foot apart and spin their lightsabers around uselessly. It's pointless eye candy.

The over-choreographing completely ruined the Obi/Ani duel. What a travesty.
No there was a reason and I gave it your just not wanting to accept it.

Odyseus
02.01.2013 , 09:21 PM | #19
The only crappy saber duels we had was in episode 6 and episode 2 (Yoda's brief entry being the exception). So the saber battles have always been cool. However I would prefer more of the Wushu choreography, however I know that won't be possible with the impending cast. I would be interesting to see if JJ is going to bring back Nick Gillard. Something tells me he's going in a new direction.
Odysseus, SWG server Flurry, Commando, TK/Rifleman, Fencer/Combat Medic.

TheSelkie
02.01.2013 , 11:58 PM | #20
the blade has no appreciable weight, there's no edge to consider, and there's no need for strength and momentum, as the blade instantly cuts through whatever it touches. Under those constraints, the closest real-world parallel I can think of is epee or foil fencing
As an epeeist I'd have to disagree with you there. Out of the 3 weapons, I'd say sabre is the closest by a long stretch - if I could kill someone just by touching them with a lightsabre I'd be slashing, not stabbing. Obviously you'd have to remove the right of way rules, which is why only force users could realistically fight with them. Any other two people would almost certainly just instantly kill each other.