Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

lightsaber choreography in episode VII

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
lightsaber choreography in episode VII

Master_Rukie
01.30.2013 , 12:58 AM | #1
What style of martial sword techniques should the new film feature? Should it stick to the traditional Japanese kendo or introduce a new style like the faster Chinese wudang sword?

AlexDougherty
01.30.2013 , 05:28 AM | #2
To be realistic it probably needs to borrrow from a wide variety of sources, from martial arts, kendo, fencing, and historical recreations where swords are used slightly differently.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

fellblade
01.30.2013 , 10:57 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
To be realistic it probably needs to borrrow from a wide variety of sources, from martial arts, kendo, fencing, and historical recreations where swords are used slightly differently.
I Agree - I also think that if they are going for Lightsaber forms that they should actually make them a bit more distinctively recognisable from each other.....

For Example Dooku's Makashi borrowed heavily from European fencing so this made it stand out.
Maul's Juyo seemed to be pretty heavily Wushu based which again made it stand out as something a bit different
Yoda's computer generated Ataru with its spins and flips was again something uniquely recognisable...... However everyone else's style looked somewhat Generic despite what form they were supposed to be using....

Perhaps they need to put a bit more Emphasis on crafting the Various forms -
For Example lets take Soresu (III) and Djem So (V) - Soresu formed the Basis of Djem So -
In this Case I would Make the Base style of Both of these Kendo - but for Soresu I would probably expand it with more circular/defensive Tai Chi Style movements and for Djem So I would add in European Broadsword and Longsword techniques to emphasise the more aggressive powerful strikes......
This is a basic example but i think you will get what I mean from it.

But Yes, I am definitely interested in Seeing what they do with the Lightsaber sequences in the New Movies.
Quote: Originally Posted by Barringer View Post
Tulak Hord is only an unknown because he killed anyone that has ever seen him fight.

wrong_turn
01.30.2013 , 02:39 PM | #4
I dunno that I could tell the difference really. But be curious though about whether JJ would bring in more of the different styles of light sabers which might add more variety. I don't necessary want to see a lot of the crazy ones that appear in the comics, but that seems like a direction he might go.
ịị◚◚◚◚ịịịị7▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀) A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. -Master Yoda CE

Roshe
01.30.2013 , 09:57 PM | #5
This is how I would like to see the fights. Remember back when Darth Maul (Ray Parks) fought Obi-Wan? When Obi-Wan sliced through his double bladed lightsaber to turn it into a single bladed saber, go watch how Maul/Parks handles it / swings it. That's how I think the new battles should look and feel.

ericsbane
01.31.2013 , 10:40 PM | #6
I don't think it would make any difference at all for a few reasons.
1.) 99.9999% of the viewing population would not know the difference anyway.
2.) 99.9999% of the viewing population does not know or even care that there are supposed to be different forms of lightsaber fighting styles.
3.) Most of the real world sword fighting techniques are created via necessity. The biggest contributing factor being Armor. Different Armors are the main reason that different swords, sword shapes and fighting techniques were brought into being to begin with.
Very little of the reasons for different sword fighting techniques exist in the star wars universe because, we are dealing with... well plasma or laser swords. Because we are dealing with weapons with no appreciable weight or blade shape differences to take into account, or much in the way of armor to deal with, which in the real world affects the type of material or blade shape, the biggest, and only practical contributors in the initial reason to develop a "style" to begin with, the only real reason to develop different lightsaber forms would be to accommodate users of more exotic type weapons, such as Mauls Double bladed lightsaber or for dual wielding.
So in short I don't think they will be taking lightsaber forms into account when making the movie. I do however think that fans will assign forms to what they see on the screen after the fact, even though the fight choreographers would have had nothing more in mind than.... will that cool cool on the big screen.

Thylbanus
02.01.2013 , 05:25 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by ericsbane View Post
I don't think it would make any difference at all for a few reasons.
1.) 99.9999% of the viewing population would not know the difference anyway.
2.) 99.9999% of the viewing population does not know or even care that there are supposed to be different forms of lightsaber fighting styles.
3.) Most of the real world sword fighting techniques are created via necessity. The biggest contributing factor being Armor. Different Armors are the main reason that different swords, sword shapes and fighting techniques were brought into being to begin with.
Very little of the reasons for different sword fighting techniques exist in the star wars universe because, we are dealing with... well plasma or laser swords. Because we are dealing with weapons with no appreciable weight or blade shape differences to take into account, or much in the way of armor to deal with, which in the real world affects the type of material or blade shape, the biggest, and only practical contributors in the initial reason to develop a "style" to begin with, the only real reason to develop different lightsaber forms would be to accommodate users of more exotic type weapons, such as Mauls Double bladed lightsaber or for dual wielding.
So in short I don't think they will be taking lightsaber forms into account when making the movie. I do however think that fans will assign forms to what they see on the screen after the fact, even though the fight choreographers would have had nothing more in mind than.... will that cool cool on the big screen.
You are quite right on that, but some of us found the swordplay interesting.

My favorite was between Mace and Palpatine. It certainly wasn't flashy, but the precision strikes did catch my eye. Especially when, near the end, they would do the single swipe passes. I noticed Mace and Palpatine use an overhand and both tried the use the initial as a feint and slip their blade to the under arm to cut the Brachial Artery (?) and both sacrificed the cut to avoid they themselves being cut.

It was cool.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

SusieBot
02.01.2013 , 09:21 AM | #8
That's funny...ericsbane brings up something that I've been pondering recently. Realistically, what should lightsaber fighting look like? As he/she said, the blade has no appreciable weight, there's no edge to consider, and there's no need for strength and momentum, as the blade instantly cuts through whatever it touches. Under those constraints, the closest real-world parallel I can think of is epee or foil fencing -- which, oddly enough, no fight choreography that we've seen in Star Wars really looks like. Not cinematic enough, I guess.

I just hope that the choreography is less lazy that Episode 2 or 3; I think George Lucas took the "it just has to look cool, the audience will never notice" thing a little too far. I mean, what's up with that part in Ep 3 where Obi-Wan and Anakin are standing about three feet apart, swinging their blades like crazy, and not making any contact. That's just...ugh.

Stellatus
02.01.2013 , 09:47 AM | #9
The choreography in Episode 1 was pretty brilliant. It was both functional and stylish, looked great and not over the top.

As long as it's nothing like the ridiculous ballet crap in 2 and 3, I'll be pleased.
DROID DOES.

Beniboybling
02.01.2013 , 12:18 PM | #10
I'm not sure really. I agree with the above poster that the lightsaber combat in Episode 1 was awesome, and went down in 2 & 3. Except the Yoda vs Dooku fight, that was quality. What happened is they got a too bogged down in eye candy and really good moments where drowned out by 'twirly twirly'.

I don't know if any of you watch the TCW but I'd like to see lightsaber combat something akin to that. Its not too flashy, you get a real sense of emotion in the fighting, and it looks realistic. I think this could easily be applied the new films, Lucasfilm seem to have perfected the whole lightsaber combat thing and as their co-producing with Bad Robot (which has no experience in lightsaber choreography) they will likely be heavily involved in that area. Here's an example of one of the best fights.

Fights like that in Episode 1 would do be fine though, just rewatched the duel with Maul and its awesome. Absolutely perfect.