Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Zabuza's PvP tanking encyclopedia

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Zabuza's PvP tanking encyclopedia

NamikazeNaruto
01.31.2013 , 04:40 PM | #31
Honestly, I would never run 31/0/10 or 31/1/9 with DPS gear. I did it a long time ago before we had our armor/self-heals nerfed, but now I wouldn't do it. 22/17/2 and 31/0/10 are for main tanking, in my opinion, so for those specs I'd wear tank gear. 27/0/14 and 23/1/17 are the specs I'd probably wear dps gear with, because in those specs I likely won't be main tanking, but either node guarding, or node harassing. A lot easier to win 1v1s in dps gear than tank gear.

Okema
01.31.2013 , 08:03 PM | #32
I also wouldn't drop all accuracy in favor of surge, in the kinetic builds. Also dropping all crit in favor of power is also a tricky one. You basically drop sustained damage for infrequent burst. And critting that 10% more often on SS or FiB is not a bad thing at all..

And imo you can wear full dps gear even in 31/x/x because the numbers you'll dish out are insane on TKT. The thing is though, how experienced the players you are against are. Ideally deep kinetic specs shouldn't get much of their TKT off, cutting down the majority of their burst. With dps-gear you can get an up to 8k hit on TKT. But as I said there is no point if you get interrupted too much.

Well, in the end it really comes down to what the climate on your server is, the one thing that could work on this server would end in a disaster on the other. I get what Eaten said about accuracy but I made the observation that low accuracy doesn't work for me on my server.

Griftter
02.08.2013 , 10:17 AM | #34
From your comparison, it kinda sounds like you would recommend Jugg/Guardian over Sin/Shadow for pvp tanking. Am I reading that wrong?

Rynis
02.08.2013 , 10:31 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Griftter View Post
From your comparison, it kinda sounds like you would recommend Jugg/Guardian over Sin/Shadow for pvp tanking. Am I reading that wrong?
For the most part Juggs will be filling the "Main Tank" position in warzones. That being said correctly geared/specced assassins can do it just fine (or better )
#AlmightyTeejus-#twitch.tv/bjagz

anstalt
02.08.2013 , 10:34 AM | #36
Nice guide, well written

I personally prefer DPSing in warzones but often have to tank as no other guildies have a tank for pvp. however, I've never bothered getting tank gear so I think with the reduced cost of WH gear recently i'll probs get round to getting some stuff. I also really like your 22/17/2 spec, it isn't one I'd seen or thought of before but seems really good for damage reduction so I shall be trying this out soon!

I was just wondering if you would be able to re-add your link to your armoury? I may just be being think but doesn't appear in your sig any more!

Thanks
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

NamikazeNaruto
02.08.2013 , 12:31 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Griftter View Post
Actually, I think 22/17/2 spec from a Shadow is not that much worse than a Guardian tank. Thing is, most people wouldn't agree with you, they are so set in their ways of having Guardians be the only main tanks. Especially being able to use a medpac every 1 minute 30 seconds, that really helps in long battles where a Guardian wouldn't be able to get out of combat to reset his medpac. I will agree that noone beats a Guardian tank in huttball as a ball carrier, however. Guardians can handle the offense in huttball while Shadows handle the defense, and securing middle with resilience. If you check my Records Thread, Rynis and I have proven that Shadows are more than capable of main tanking in PvP.

Quote: Originally Posted by anstalt View Post
Nice guide, well written

I personally prefer DPSing in warzones but often have to tank as no other guildies have a tank for pvp. however, I've never bothered getting tank gear so I think with the reduced cost of WH gear recently i'll probs get round to getting some stuff. I also really like your 22/17/2 spec, it isn't one I'd seen or thought of before but seems really good for damage reduction so I shall be trying this out soon!

I was just wondering if you would be able to re-add your link to your armoury? I may just be being think but doesn't appear in your sig any more!

Thanks
Indeed, I had thought of it awhile ago, but I was too afraid to think outside the box to try it or post it(until someone talked to me about a similar spec.) Once the patch comes out the specs for tanking will change once again :P. And yes, I readded the link to my armory in my sig, the forum limitations make it a pain to fit all of these things in my signature, which is why I had removed it. My defense chance says 28.29%, but it is actually 30.29% ingame. Other than that everything is correct.

Rilok_Singz
02.11.2013 , 04:08 PM | #38
/bump
S h a d o w R i l o k | A s s a s s i n R l o k
G - Q u i T | C l i c k e r s

NamikazeNaruto
02.21.2013 , 01:56 PM | #39
New section added. This new section is basically theorycrafting on what new kinetic hybrid specs might be good if all the talents stay as they are.

Claprica
02.21.2013 , 11:18 PM | #40
Can we get this stickied?

Finding the info real useful having not ventured outside of Shin's normal kinetic/hybrid build.
Azealiab - Shadow || Glasskannon - Sage || Tatonkabill - Sentinel Master Dar'Nala Server