Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

They warned/told us

JakeLightbearer
12.20.2011 , 05:57 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Illutian View Post
I would agree, and I stated that in beta when they (BW) threw up the quest survey. Another problem I think we're having is we know where all this goes (Galactic Empire); so we're probably thinking that this "True Republic" is the group that sees the corruption and will be the group that's [assumed to have] fled Coruscant at the end of Episode III; later becoming the Rebel Alliance.
Um, there are almost 3000 years between this and the movies, so no organization (other than major ones like the Republic itself and the Jedi) would last through that.

I agree that there are some pretty messed-up LS/DS options. For example (Corsucant spoilers):
Spoiler

And that's just one of the many quests where the LS choice was far crueler or more malevolent than the DS choice.

Illutian
12.20.2011 , 07:19 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by JakeLightbearer View Post
Um, there are almost 3000 years between this and the movies, so no organization (other than major ones like the Republic itself and the Jedi) would last through that.
And knowing how the Republic falls, my immediate thought was "this group probably becomes the Rebels". I also thought that the "True Republic" was the Empire's seed of deception. It's already hinted at that the Empire is going about the take over of the Republic with much more patience, and it's probably "our" efforts that stall the plan out for the next few thousand years. In either case, that quest just seems...too short

I agree that there are some pretty messed-up LS/DS options. For example (Corsucant spoilers):
Spoiler

And that's just one of the many quests where the LS choice was far crueler or more malevolent than the DS choice.
If this is the quest I'm thinking of...I think the reasoning is telling him she's dead would send him into despair that he'd never see her again. But if she's been shipped off; he'd still have hope.

...i think Bioware just has a dart part; half is red, other half is blue. And when they make a quest and decide "this option will have an alignment" they throw a dart

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall. - Confucius

Ravager
12.20.2011 , 07:26 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Illutian View Post
And knowing how the Republic falls, my immediate thought was "this group probably becomes the Rebels". I also thought that the "True Republic" was the Empire's seed of deception. It's already hinted at that the Empire is going about the take over of the Republic with much more patience, and it's probably "our" efforts that stall the plan out for the next few thousand years. In either case, that quest just seems...too short
Just to clear it up, the Sith Empire of The Old Republic is nothing but a distant memory by the time the Rebel Alliance comes along - the Republic has had a thousand years of peace by The Phantom Menace in the movie saga, and the last war was with a different Sith Empire.
Sexy Panther Fighting Corps!(Spfc!) Selkath.com Forums
The most awesome clubs on Earth. We have a mascot. We are working on the laundromat.
Buskar- The Casual Mandalorian Swinging And Hanging Around Guild

RodimusPrime
12.20.2011 , 09:39 PM | #14
I am having a blast with my inquisitor story, and love being as evil and corrupt as possible. Seeing [Kill Him/Her] in a convo option.. there is nothing better.

Silvermink
12.20.2011 , 10:26 PM | #15
I ran across a similarly skewed quest on Droman Kaas during beta. You have to choose between killing the trouble maker (DS points) and turning the bad guys into the Empire (LS points. While killing the whistle blower is definitely evil, turning people over to a authoritative regime to be tortured doesn't seem like a Light side choice.

Nikoemos
12.21.2011 , 12:08 AM | #16

Spoiler

Spoiler

Aka, people are different

| SWTOR :: Website :: You Tube:: COTOR |
And of course, I was in Squadron 950A

Raeln
12.21.2011 , 10:20 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Braneric View Post
I think you are automatically assuming that anything that has to do with the Empire outside of destroying it is automatically evil, which is not the case. You may not like what the Senator is trying to do (hey I stole the parcel myself), but the fact remains that hacking into the Senator's droid and stealing confidential information is clearly an illegal act, and if you chose to go through with it you get DS points. I see nothing wrong with that.
While laws are made to protect what we call "civilization", sometimes it is necessary to break those laws (through legal means even) to attain proof of devious acts. This is illustrated by our own legal system where a court can order a search warrant. The search warrant negate the typical law.

The entire quest line is an example of poor story writing anyway. As a Jedi Consular, if I was there snooping at the documents that droid has - there isn't a security guard on Coruscant that would interfere with me as soon as he saw my status. Instead, he would probably mention to someone, but there wouldn't be a confrontation there as it were.

Understandably, the quest would have been difficult to write like that to be able to be completed by smugglers and troopers though.

On top of that, why on earth did I stun the droid when there was a security guard so obviously close by anyway?

FrostyFrost
01.01.2012 , 11:30 PM | #18
The Boy-Man(I call him this due to the freckles) has a very sinister tone to his voice when you make the choice to take the senator down. I believe that even if the choices are skewed or not, that stealing the plans was the right thing to do. The Senate seems to have a trend of making corrupt descisions..

krisslanza
01.01.2012 , 11:46 PM | #19
As I recall for that quest, it's because the man is abusive. Telling him that she's gone, means he has to move on with his life. But giving the woman away means you're dooming her to stay with a man who makes her life miserable.

As for the Senator mission, it's simply because by stealing the documents and exposing them, you're undermining the values of the Republic. As the Aide mentions - this is what democracy is about. People are entitled to their own opinions and views. To try and take matters into your hands the way the dark side choice is, you are trying to control the Republic.

Stormcloudx
01.02.2012 , 12:05 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Silvermink View Post
I ran across a similarly skewed quest on Droman Kaas during beta. You have to choose between killing the trouble maker (DS points) and turning the bad guys into the Empire (LS points. While killing the whistle blower is definitely evil, turning people over to a authoritative regime to be tortured doesn't seem like a Light side choice.
I know that quest..if you're referring to the.."killing spree" one. The government is the government and they do have their justice system even if it isn't as fair as the republics it is a system. In that case allowing the bad guys to go free meant more killings..while the trouble maker was only trying to cal out an injustice.

side note: why does everyone assume empire=auto evil? they had different ideologies.....not to mention the republic had it coming for how they ended the last war..they sowed the seeds of destruction..

personal opinion: as they op stated the scenario reinforces my thoughts the jedi have some flawed logic in their system.