Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

They warned/told us

garry
12.20.2011 , 11:23 AM | #1
So I am a Jedi Knight and dedicated to the light side. About level 11 I ran into a questgiver lady on Coruscant that asked me to steal a diplomatic pouch designated for a senator that was corrupt. I actually believe her story but as a Jedi I could not steal - simply could not bring myself to select that option. This means that there is a solid storyline and I am immersed in my character. Nice job Bioware - but I hated turning her down as I hate political corruption.

Zedakah
12.20.2011 , 11:56 AM | #2
Most of the quests where you have to steal something or seem to have questionable morals involved usually has a light/dark choice at the end.

*Spoilers*

I think in this quest you will be able to turn-in the stolen material to authorities and get the senator fired - which is the light side option.

So, despite you not being able to steal and break RP, you can argue yourself that you only planned to steal in order to stop the corruption. Bioware has done a pretty good job at giving you the opportunity to not have to do something out of character, even if it starts out as questionable.

Raeln
12.20.2011 , 12:02 PM | #3
Actually, the quest he is talking about had some weird mix up on the light/dark choices.

The light side choice is to take a fake pile of documents back to her and essentially "lie" to her.

The dark side choice is to expose the Senator.

Seems completely backwards to me - though I wish I had just refused to steal the documents after all. I was "fine" with "stealing" the documents to expose corruption. Subterfuge and information gathering typically involve "theft" at some point anyway, but to intentionally deceive through false information does not seem to be a "light side" perspective.

Petrus
12.20.2011 , 01:11 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by garry View Post
So I am a Jedi Knight and dedicated to the light side. About level 11 I ran into a questgiver lady on Coruscant that asked me to steal a diplomatic pouch designated for a senator that was corrupt. I actually believe her story but as a Jedi I could not steal - simply could not bring myself to select that option. This means that there is a solid storyline and I am immersed in my character. Nice job Bioware - but I hated turning her down as I hate political corruption.
Did you flush the engineering crew in the Flashpoint?

Yrayl
12.20.2011 , 01:35 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Did you flush the engineering crew in the Flashpoint?
He just said he's light lolol. So I'm gathering he didn't flush the crew in Esseles lolol
WATCH YOUR FEET

Braneric
12.20.2011 , 02:25 PM | #6
If you choose to steal the parcel you get DS points because as the aide says you are sabotaging the democratic process. Even if you believe that the Senator's plans are evil, the act of stealing from a Republic Senator whom to the best of your knowledge is not doing anything illegal is not something someone with integrity would do.

Raeln
12.20.2011 , 02:36 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Braneric View Post
If you choose to steal the parcel you get DS points because as the aide says you are sabotaging the democratic process. Even if you believe that the Senator's plans are evil, the act of stealing from a Republic Senator whom to the best of your knowledge is not doing anything illegal is not something someone with integrity would do.
It could be debated that "it's to your best knowledge is not doing anything illegal". The dialog does a pretty good job at instilling doubt about his innocence. The LS/DS choices do not seem to be correct with the questline.

Braneric
12.20.2011 , 03:15 PM | #8
I think you are automatically assuming that anything that has to do with the Empire outside of destroying it is automatically evil, which is not the case. You may not like what the Senator is trying to do (hey I stole the parcel myself), but the fact remains that hacking into the Senator's droid and stealing confidential information is clearly an illegal act, and if you chose to go through with it you get DS points. I see nothing wrong with that.

Illutian
12.20.2011 , 03:19 PM | #9
I would agree, and I stated that in beta when they (BW) threw up the quest survey. Another problem I think we're having is we know where all this goes (Galactic Empire); so we're probably thinking that this "True Republic" is the group that sees the corruption and will be the group that's [assumed to have] fled Coruscant at the end of Episode III; later becoming the Rebel Alliance.

What they should have done is actually had you go on a 'fact-finder' and in the end either decide to expose the senator (turn the real data over) or conceal it [for a price] and had over the agricultural data.

On a Side note:

Another point of "huh?"

is

**SPOILER**

On Taris (Consular Chain) you have the option of saving ONE person or the holocrons contain medical information that could be used to save MILLIONS.

The LS choice is to PUT THE INDIVIDUAL NEEDS OF ONE PERSON above the needs of many. Funny, even Yoda once said sacrifice is sometimes needed; just I just doomed potentially millions to agonizing death...for one person.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall. - Confucius

ValicRunebane
12.20.2011 , 03:23 PM | #10
I personally wanted to cut the corrupt scum down when I discovered the proof of his actions. Why waste time on a justice system that may let the guilty walk.. yup.. I do this.. Punisher style!
WE DO NOT FORGIVE. WE DO NOT FORGET.