Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I crash every 2 hours give or take!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
I crash every 2 hours give or take!

CTFoxhound
01.25.2013 , 05:27 PM | #1
I replied to another guy about his crashing post and just decided to make my own post and give you feedback via my DxDiag information.

i crash on a constant basis. usually once every 2 hours or so. It's like the game tends to become more unstable over the course of a couple hours and then it eventually crashes.

It also depends on what I am doing, if i am constantly changing characters and zoning in and out of planets and to and from the fleet which on my server (Ebon Hawk) the fleet is always jam packed. I will crash even sooner. The longest I can go is probably 3 hours ish and that is only if I log in to say a planet that doesn't have high traffic at the time and I stay on that planet for the duration. Many times when I crash it mainly happens after about 2 hours when I zone somewhere or talk to a NPC for something like a mission. That's mainly where it happens the most but if I go long enough it could crash at any point, during a fight, after looting a mob, clicking on something, etc.

I just came back to the game like a bit over a month ago and it's been like this since I came back. I've tried using the system repair tool and have even uninstalled the entire game and redownloaded the entire thing from scratch. None of that helped. I don't recall this happening when I played way back about a year ago.

My video card is up to date as well with drivers. It's a NVidia GeForce GTS 250 and I have direct X 11 installed. I think this game has some issues with that type of model. Since I've read other people's crash reports and lots that crash seem to be using GeForce chips. Anyway here's my DxDiag info below.

Spoiler

OwenBrooks
01.25.2013 , 05:32 PM | #2
1.Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
2.At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 2500"
3.Restart the computer.

To delete the value if needed
1.Right-click on Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.
2.At the command prompt, enter "bcdedit /deletevalue IncreaseUserVa"
3.Restart the computer.

The above value should be suitable for your computer, how to delete if needed is above.

Edit - The sigmatel driver is one of the drivers that was set to not install SP1 for Vista due to issues if installed.
There is a slightly later version available then the one you have but it had the same problem with vista.
Discussion link below
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-f6a64ff6289e/

CTFoxhound
01.25.2013 , 05:41 PM | #3
willing to try this step, but will i need to do this everytime I wanna play SWTOR? I'm not that into coding and have no idea what you suggesting actually does. I do run a memory cleaner which almost cut's the ram processing in half while playing as it cleans the ram every 5 minutes.

but can you tell me what doing this actually does? doesn't have to be long just a very brief explanation, I don't wanna do something that harms my computer and I have no idea how to fix it.

OwenBrooks
01.25.2013 , 05:43 PM | #4
It is increasing the user environment and only needs to be set once.

The user environment size can change from computer to computer due to bios setting and hardware remapping.

lokozar
01.25.2013 , 05:43 PM | #5
OwenBrooks solution could help you, but you're always risking system crashes / bluescreens with it.
The correct choice here would be to use a 64bit operating system with a bit more memory.

And no, you're not switching to a 64bit system because of one game. You will have this exact problem in many other current games. Promise! Take a look at other forums, you will find this problem all over the web and the right solution for it is mentioned above.
IRIS - Inter Rim Investigation Service
<<Imperiale RP-Gilde auf Vanjervalis Chain>>

CTFoxhound
01.25.2013 , 05:51 PM | #6
K, entered that in the command prompt and it said operation completed successfully, restarting now. then gonna play some after I get back from going to the store, will update my progress later. thanks

Nyxaither
01.28.2013 , 02:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by CTFoxhound View Post
K, entered that in the command prompt and it said operation completed successfully, restarting now. then gonna play some after I get back from going to the store, will update my progress later. thanks
Just wanted to say that i've been having this problem since i started aswell, so you're not alone. But did the solution work? or is it still crashing?

OwenBrooks
01.28.2013 , 03:31 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Nyxaither View Post
Just wanted to say that i've been having this problem since i started aswell, so you're not alone. But did the solution work? or is it still crashing?
Which OS and is it 32bit do you have and how much ram is installed ?

Nyxaither
01.28.2013 , 04:30 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Which OS and is it 32bit do you have and how much ram is installed ?
Windows 7, 3,2gb RAM and yes its 32bit

OwenBrooks
01.28.2013 , 04:32 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Nyxaither View Post
Windows 7, 3,2gb RAM and yes its 32bit
Ok if you are getting the crash approx every 2 hours then yes do the change above

Wait are you say 32Gb ram ? A 32 bit OS can not access more then 4GB of Physical Ram

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...78(VS.85).aspx