Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
02.01.2013 , 03:13 AM | #71
I can already state that it isn't going to be like DA2, in the sense that you there will be no affection loss if you choose to ignore the flirt. So I honestly don't see what the issue is. Then again, I haven't seen the issue with this in the year or so since I started posting about this.

SithKoriandr
02.01.2013 , 07:45 AM | #72
Hmmm...you know, if they ever do make the companions romancable, they may want to introduce a gender swap cartel market item, as I know a few people who would have rolled same gender if it was possible to romance same genders, but instead rolled up characters of the opposite gender, so they could romance the companion they wanted to romance.

dewayne
02.01.2013 , 09:37 AM | #73
im not saying ill do sgr but i do have few female chars. and currently only have 8 slots used so i wont mind if say i wanted to be jk female romancing kira having to make a new character. the only character i can mostly likely be romasncing a girl if possible is my trooper
Darlenee, Dewaynee Morningstar
Republic Trooper, Jedi Knight
I'm a life taker and a heartbreaker

wainot-keel
02.01.2013 , 10:42 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I can already state that it isn't going to be like DA2, in the sense that you there will be no affection loss if you choose to ignore the flirt. So I honestly don't see what the issue is. Then again, I haven't seen the issue with this in the year or so since I started posting about this.
What prompted this ? some posts got deleted ?

Anyway, if you're referring to Anders giving rivalry points when he got shut down, yeah, I remember the outcry was amazing on BSN forums, but that was more about for the sake of raging than anything else, since you could avoid the romance without taking rivalry points.

And on TOR , most "disapprovals" during conversations are by -1, which are hardly set backs considering a 10 thousand points bar. Those "minus" are so little but they add a lot, at least to me. I love it when they pop up during my Trooper's usual rude remarks while questing with Elara

Raynezazki
02.01.2013 , 11:01 AM | #75
That and you can get more rivalry from Fenris just for being a mage. I don't see people in arms about that. (and that you can't avoid. Just lessen).

SirGladiator
02.03.2013 , 12:49 AM | #76
I don't even understand the criticism from way back then, about DA2. I mean, if somebody (Anders in the case of DA2) is hitting on you and you don't like them, and you turn them down, why do you even care if they give you negative points toward them? Obviously DA2 and SWTOR are different games, but when I was playing as my JK I hated my female JK being repeatedly hit on by 'doc', and I enjoyed it when my responses earned me negative points from him, it meant my responses were having the intended effect. Just like I always liked it when my negative responses to his comments got me positive points from Kira, it meant she was jealous of him and was happy my JK was turning him down, she was keeping my JK all to herself . I like the positive/negative system the way it is, it works really well. We just need to be able to actually enjoy the romances that we want to enjoy, and all is good.

JediMB
02.03.2013 , 07:47 AM | #77
The only thing I disliked about Anders hitting on me was that I was forced to sound so harsh and judgmental in order to reject him. Would have been nice if I could have said something along the lines of "I'm flattered, but not interested."
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

SelinaK
02.03.2013 , 11:28 AM | #78
'SWTOR companions will have same-sex romance options... eventually', Brianna Royce, Editor-in-Chief for Massively.com/Joystiq, 2011-09-13
Quote:
In a statement on the forums, SWTOR Senior Online Community Manager Stephen Reid posted the following:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature.
'Old Republic devs to segregate same gender relationships to one gay planet', GlobalPost, 2013-01-15
Quote:
“I realize that we promised [same-gender relationships] to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play,”

wrote executive producer Jeff Hickman in a post to a developers' blog.
I am happy with "Soon™" as long as it's within the next year or so...

Yeah, sure we "believed", you make it sound like we are the ones at fault for trusting you. :/
That's also an out and out lie, we were promised it would be worked on post game launch in 2011, so the changes to make it Free to Play by definition aren't what delayed it, it's "everything/ANYTHING else up to and including cartel market ugly weasel pets". :/ Marketingspeak I know, but come on, we aren't idiots. :/
( why are there no actual cute pets either, I know kittens exist in star wars because I checked... I want a kitten that sits on my shoulder and goes "mew" when you click on it, awwh. )

The issue is that most of us will have completed the game storyline (well those of us who haven't already even!) by then so the whole thing misses a lot of context/point... I'm not sure how they can do it effectively for people who are 50 later, maybe some kind of code that allows you to reset ALL your companion conversations ever and replay them from the start in one go could be pretty cool.

Tell me Kaliyo is /meant/ to be straight, /realllllllly/...
(hold down CTRL and click links to open them in tabs and bypass the popup warning spam)
• imageshack.us/a/img402/6702/swtor2013020110373858.png
imageshack.us/a/img705/5793/swtor2013020110375446.png
• imageshack.us/a/img853/1993/swtor2013020113371167.png

... I'm still annoyed that they did similar to Jack in Mass Effect 2, if there had been any "SGR" post-FoxNews, I think she rightfully was bi realllllly...
[My posts] • SGR factsss
Type /cjoin OOC ingame for organising RP (globalchans between servers plees? )
Official RP forum + Events! — IC news/gossip — Character listing — Fiction — Art — Story/Universe

SithKoriandr
02.03.2013 , 11:35 AM | #79
I don't even see a "Soon" comment. I see "Delayed" So, if you're looking for "within the next year" to be happy, I'd say expect to be disappointed.

Unless you're going to be happy with just Makeb.

stuffystuffs
02.03.2013 , 12:34 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMB View Post
The only thing I disliked about Anders hitting on me was that I was forced to sound so harsh and judgmental in order to reject him. Would have been nice if I could have said something along the lines of "I'm flattered, but not interested."
True.

I think SWTOR does pretty good with this.

Since SirGladiator mentioned Doc, I'll use him as an example. From what I've seen, there's a 'nice' way to turn him down or a 'not so nice' way. While both may net you negative affection, there is an option to not sound harsh about it.
Node guarder