Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
03.15.2013 , 07:40 PM | #411
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Playing a SW now, and all I could see think was Vette is OGR, just by the storyline scenes (female SW btw). Same with Ashara.

Ashara hates females as it is. Though I'm sure that's someone saying "Oh, she's playing hard to get." Or that "Doesnt matter, she's the only female romance option for Inquisitor, so she has to be made bi"

Jaesa could totally be SGR.
<zandilar snip!>
It is good that people have opinions on how characters might swing based on their behaviour in the game, but it might also be good if those same people remembered that you can't always tell a person's sexuality from a limited view of their behaviour. Because lets face it - we only see how the companions act when they're with our characters, and that doesn't comprise all of their time. Nor can we, as players, truly get into their heads - we are not their creators, we do not know what their creators intended unless they tell us.

I also find that a lot of people with strong opinions on who is or who is not gay, also seem to be blinded to the possibility of a character being bisexual. We like to put things into simple categories, but the fact of the matter is sexuality is a spectrum, and a person can sit anywhere along that spectrum between straight and gay. So it is short sighted to be so absolute about these characters.

A person's sexuality is not branded on their foreheads for the whole world to see, and sometimes people can surprise you. This can and does go double for fictional characters who are subject to the whims of their writers. (I'd tell you a story about a character I was writing as straight, who suddenly turned out to be bisexual with almost no input from me (it just felt right to write her that way), but that has little relevance to this forum.)

Also, SithKoriandr, there was a reason I quoted you rather than others - can you expand on why you think Ashara hates females? I've not played a SI high enough to get her as a companion, and I want to know the story behind it. (I am not saying you're wrong about her, I'm just curious.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

stuffystuffs's Avatar


stuffystuffs
03.15.2013 , 08:02 PM | #412
Re: Ashara, it's probably b/c she doesn't give a lot of gift affection for females.

Which means nothing. I mean, you could say Kira is bisexual b/c she likes courting gifts (which we know means nothing).
Node guarder

Palar's Avatar


Palar
03.15.2013 , 09:26 PM | #413
From what I hear, the replacement lines for where the Flirts are for Male SIs barely give any affection bonuses.

Granted, she's written to be stand-offish, but it sounds frustating in execution.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
03.15.2013 , 10:40 PM | #414
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
It is good that people have opinions on how characters might swing based on their behaviour in the game, but it might also be good if those same people remembered that you can't always tell a person's sexuality from a limited view of their behaviour. Because lets face it - we only see how the companions act when they're with our characters, and that doesn't comprise all of their time. Nor can we, as players, truly get into their heads - we are not their creators, we do not know what their creators intended unless they tell us.

I also find that a lot of people with strong opinions on who is or who is not gay, also seem to be blinded to the possibility of a character being bisexual. We like to put things into simple categories, but the fact of the matter is sexuality is a spectrum, and a person can sit anywhere along that spectrum between straight and gay. So it is short sighted to be so absolute about these characters.

A person's sexuality is not branded on their foreheads for the whole world to see, and sometimes people can surprise you. This can and does go double for fictional characters who are subject to the whims of their writers. (I'd tell you a story about a character I was writing as straight, who suddenly turned out to be bisexual with almost no input from me (it just felt right to write her that way), but that has little relevance to this forum.)

Also, SithKoriandr, there was a reason I quoted you rather than others - can you expand on why you think Ashara hates females? I've not played a SI high enough to get her as a companion, and I want to know the story behind it. (I am not saying you're wrong about her, I'm just curious.)
I base Vette from the negative affections in the dialogue. I dont recall it word for word. Where as Jaesa is just all "I WANT TO FEEL EVERYTHING"

Ashara, besides giving you low affection for any gift, is just pissy to female SIs I have no idea how she plays with male SIs, but from what Im told she becomes quite attached and quickly and easily. She just comes off as hating you as a female SI and thats with going lightside.

Mako, I have no idea. I really dont. And she's one I hope for. There were a couple of scenes where I was all "Maybe!" but that could have easily been hopefulness on my part for my BH And I'm at least willing to admit what I see is a good chance it's just what I want to see and not "OMG IT'S THERE BECAUSE IT HAS TO BE BECAUSE I WANT IT"

My thoughts on Torian is more that, there just wasn't much there to sway me on the idea that he wasnt, why I said I could see him as SGR.

Of course, back to Ashara, that's all from what I've seen of her now. They could put in a SGR flirt later on, and if your female SI uses it, all of a sudden you have a totally different Ashara. That said, they never seem to change that much personality wise on your characters gender, sooo...

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
03.15.2013 , 10:42 PM | #415
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Re: Ashara, it's probably b/c she doesn't give a lot of gift affection for females.

Which means nothing. I mean, you could say Kira is bisexual b/c she likes courting gifts (which we know means nothing).
Theres so much more to it. Her chatting with the female SI comes off so...bad...like deep down she really doesnt care for you.

jason_ralph's Avatar


jason_ralph
03.15.2013 , 10:48 PM | #416
Sith Inquisitor: I didn't find romancing Ashara worth the time and effort, and based what has been posted here (and on other threads), Andros isn't much better. That said, I know that Khem Val gets mentioned a lot for SGR (and the other male companion just likes digging for treasure IMO), so, I think he would be a good choice.

Bounty Hunter: Mako comes off as my little sister. The relationship just seems weird, and I feel she's forced onto you because who else would you romance for OGR? That said, Gault would be prefect (if handled correctly). Beyond that, I can't really say (I dig Blizz & Gault; rest are marginal so I can't say who). Unless Mako was really meant to be SGR (and became OGR when it was taken out before launch; or however that went down).

I can't comment on the JC, JK, or SW. I haven't played past Act 2 yet. The ones I left out (Smuggler, Trooper, IA) I didn't really care for the companions a whole lot, so, I can't really comment.

I still think (as much as realistically possible), stereotypes should be avoided. That's the issue I have with the Trooper (far too many stereotypes used in regards that civilians have of the military, and as one who is serving, it rubs me the wrong way a lot).
(over heard on a bounty hunter's star ship)
"You took down the Mandalorian Killer?".
"Yep. Blasted him and the star ship he flew in on".

Palar's Avatar


Palar
03.15.2013 , 11:27 PM | #417
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Ashara, besides giving you low affection for any gift, is just pissy to female SIs I have no idea how she plays with male SIs, but from what Im told she becomes quite attached and quickly and easily. She just comes off as hating you as a female SI and thats with going lightside.

From where I got to, on my 43 male SI, 'pissy' was the best word. Got about 3 or 4 flirt options in, clicked something snarky just to see her response, and it ended the conversation before I had to time to Escape. Apparently, that convo also had the 'make or break' flirt, since none turned up after.

Watched the rest on YouTube, don't think I missed much. She suddenly does a 180 with her opinion of you, but still has some whiny "I'm a Jedi" lines. Even to LS Inqs, I'm told, so there's no pleasing some people.

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
03.16.2013 , 11:58 AM | #418
Yeah, for Ashara, basically you have to keep dumping Republic Memorabilia gifts on her up to a certain point when she'll suddenly be more receptive to you. It's true of both males and females, though obviously females can't start a romance with her.

SI gift requirements are strange, they vary the most with gender and change depending on how much affection you have with them. Then there's Andronikos who seems to love almost everything.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

jason_ralph's Avatar


jason_ralph
03.16.2013 , 12:58 PM | #419
Andros likes Military Gear & Underworld Goods. However, he prefers weapon the most.

For those asking about Ashara, here's the wiki I use in terms of what to give my companions (I found it helps to look up who gives what).

http://swtor.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Inquisitor

If you would rather not look up the other 7 classes and see the rest of the companions in SW:TOR, let me state that overwhelming (as a female Sith Inquisitor), Ashara is the hardest companion to get to max affection. Period. No other companion even comes close (either female or male). I also feel, there should be a(n) achievement for that (a title and/or exclusive character skins for every companion you have; and it be account wide). But that's just me. I like to award players/people who do something insanely time consuming.

Edit: I mean no disrespect for using female or male. My military jargon comes out from time to time, and I mean no offense to anyone.
(over heard on a bounty hunter's star ship)
"You took down the Mandalorian Killer?".
"Yep. Blasted him and the star ship he flew in on".

Palar's Avatar


Palar
03.16.2013 , 03:21 PM | #420
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
SI gift requirements are strange, they vary the most with gender and change depending on how much affection you have with them. Then there's Andronikos who seems to love almost everything.
I do like that Khem's fond of Cultural gifts, though; in my headcanon, he goes to his room and plays with them - making sound effects and everything.