Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

markcymru
02.22.2013 , 11:27 AM | #201
Quote: Originally Posted by Raynezazki View Post
I would like those flirt, flirt or insult conversations to **** though. Just had a convo with Mako where my easy goiing BH could either flirt, flirt or insult her. (He chose to insult because Mako's on his nope nope nope list but letting her down easily would've been far more in character) Those conversations need to go. A neutral rejection is all that's needed not the complete elimination of flirts.
I get a queasy feeling thinking about this strategy being applied to SG flirts. It would kind of feel like pandering to the need of haters to be able to express their hate. Ugh!
I can hire one-half of the working class to kill the other half. attributed to Jay Gould, a 19th-century railroad baron

SithKoriandr
02.22.2013 , 11:46 AM | #202
Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru View Post
I get a queasy feeling thinking about this strategy being applied to SG flirts. It would kind of feel like pandering to the need of haters to be able to express their hate. Ugh!
Why? The whole arguement for adding has been "You won't see my option to SGR flirt" therefore you won't see their option to "SGR insult"

Also, why break away from what they've done with OGR's? If OGR's are stuck with Flirt/Flirt/Insult and we're going for equality here, then SGR's should have Flirt/Flirt/Insult.

Mind you, I don't recall all the options being Flirt/Flirt/Insult, and more Flirt/Flirt/Turn Down, and how one turns them down seemed to vary and not always be Insult.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

markcymru
02.22.2013 , 12:01 PM | #203
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Also, why break away from what they've done with OGR's? If OGR's are stuck with Flirt/Flirt/Insult and we're going for equality here, then SGR's should have Flirt/Flirt/Insult.
In theory, yeah... but it's not exactly symmetrical, eh? I haven't seen widespread heterophobia on this forum (in fact, i haven't seen any). And I haven't seen any concentrated efforts to ban OGRs on the grounds that they're 'wrong', 'offensive', 'not for children', etc.

Besides, maybe this could be the place for BW to start fixing up their turn-down options?

And perhaps it's a teachable moment for the anti-SGRs.....
I can hire one-half of the working class to kill the other half. attributed to Jay Gould, a 19th-century railroad baron

SithKoriandr
02.22.2013 , 12:12 PM | #204
In theory, yeah... but it's not exactly symmetrical, eh? I haven't seen widespread heterophobia on this forum (in fact, i haven't seen any). And I haven't seen any concentrated efforts to ban OGRs on the grounds that they're 'wrong', 'offensive', 'not for children', etc.

Besides, maybe this could be the place for BW to start fixing up their turn-down options?

And perhaps it's a teachable moment for the anti-SGRs.....
You either want equality or you don't. Though I'd disagree with there not being any heterophobia, as I'd call a couple of posts that were so anti-OGR as being that, and onthe same level of anti-SGR.

But fixing turn down options is a good idea! They could give Flirt/Turn Down/Insult (mind you, I'm just sticking with three options here, as I've never seen more than 3 options for chats).

Also, we don't need teaching moments for the anti-SGRs in a game, as it's 1) a game 2) won't teach anything anyways and just come off as a terrible idea.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Kioma
02.22.2013 , 12:27 PM | #205
I get a queasy feeling having it applied to either SGR or OGR... not because of the inclusion of an insult but for the lack of variation. I'd prefer to see an aggressive/relaxed option system so the player could accept aggressively or relaxed, be neutral or reject in an aggressive or relaxed manner. It could even include ongoing neutral/indecisive options so the companion could eventually explode at the PC in frustration over their wishy-washiness. It'd be fun.

I do agree with such a system being applied to everyone, if only because it allows the more aggressive characters to be played aggressively. Just don't make the aggressive rejections homophobic (or heterophobic). Of all the options it seems the most suitable compromise.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

markcymru
02.22.2013 , 01:52 PM | #206
Also, we don't need teaching moments for the anti-SGRs in a game, as it's 1) a game 2) won't teach anything anyways and just come off as a terrible idea.
I meant it more in the sense of modelling civilized behaviour, than overtly teaching. But actually, now that I've thought about it, I agree with you it was a silly notion.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I'd prefer to see an aggressive/relaxed option system so the player could accept aggressively or relaxed, be neutral or reject in an aggressive or relaxed manner. It could even include ongoing neutral/indecisive options so the companion could eventually explode at the PC in frustration over their wishy-washiness. It'd be fun.
This would be great!

Just don't make the aggressive rejections homophobic (or heterophobic).
Yes. This was my basic point, I guess.

SithKoriandr
02.22.2013 , 02:23 PM | #207
I get a queasy feeling having it applied to either SGR or OGR... not because of the inclusion of an insult but for the lack of variation. I'd prefer to see an aggressive/relaxed option system so the player could accept aggressively or relaxed, be neutral or reject in an aggressive or relaxed manner. It could even include ongoing neutral/indecisive options so the companion could eventually explode at the PC in frustration over their wishy-washiness. It'd be fun.

I do agree with such a system being applied to everyone, if only because it allows the more aggressive characters to be played aggressively. Just don't make the aggressive rejections homophobic (or heterophobic). Of all the options it seems the most suitable compromise.
While it would likely come off as homophobic/hetrophobic, I'd love the chat option of "Ick! No. No. No. Ewww. You're a boy/girl." because it would remind me of the SI scene of "It was me! Me! Me! Me!"

Kioma
02.22.2013 , 02:50 PM | #208
While it would likely come off as homophobic/hetrophobic, I'd love the chat option of "Ick! No. No. No. Ewww. You're a boy/girl." because it would remind me of the SI scene of "It was me! Me! Me! Me!"
I can see how it'd fit, I just think putting those options in would be a minefield of trouble.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

SithKoriandr
02.22.2013 , 10:23 PM | #209
I can see how it'd fit, I just think putting those options in would be a minefield of trouble.
Only if people took it way to seriously and not in the fun it was intended. Especially since it can be used by anyone.

darthkora
02.22.2013 , 10:52 PM | #210
I doubt it would be any trouble at all given that you can express a want through dialogue to slaughter not only your enemies but innocents who get in the way too among a whole host of other things. It should be remembered that the dialogue is a character choice, not a reflection of personal acceptance and discriminations in this context. That would solve a whole heap of trouble.