Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Better PvP Class - Shadow or Vanguard

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Better PvP Class - Shadow or Vanguard

WIZBASKY
01.25.2013 , 04:21 AM | #1
I have a 50 Sorc, and not liking the getting his *** kicked before you can get a kill aspect.
I just came back to this game yesterday after being away 1 year, and I think i have narrowed down my choices for a new Pvp class.

Shadow or Vanguard.

I leveled a Jedi knight and didnt like it in PvP, seemed weak, mind you only lvl 12, I leveled a shadow today to lvl 12 and i felt MUCH stronger, also the stealth aspect is fun, I get to choose when to fight. and i seemed to be getting kills much easier and faster.

But i hated always just bing out of range, and getting pushed back out of melee and 10m range of spells, I see alot of trooper / bounty hunters kicking butt, and I am now leveling a trooper to 12 to compare.

I am stuck between shadow & vangaurd so i can tank in PvE, so out of these 2 classes, what opinions do you have of which will be better at 50.

I read a shadow tank is hard to tank, lots to learn and use at right time, but a vangaurd is forgiving of a bad player (I am not saying i am a bad player, but easy sounds better)

But in PvP which do you think will give greater enjoyment.

DweezillKagemand
01.25.2013 , 04:34 AM | #2
They are both retardedly overpowered.

Also, should get past level 12 before you compare.
Dweezill
Top Hatin' Player

Przemo_No
01.25.2013 , 04:41 AM | #3
no exp with vanguards, but shadow at lvl 12 is quite underpowered. At 50 is a different story, but even if, you really need to work your tactics and gear..

and there's no forgiveness, one mistake, you're doo.. eee...stunned forever...

Funny, because I tried also PVP with my lvl 22 Sentinel and THAT was just plain hit and kill stuff...
Dark side is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be unnatural.

TheNegotiator
01.26.2013 , 01:56 AM | #4
Shadow has wayyyyy more tools to mess your opponents up.

1. Knock back
2. A really good snare
3. A knock down
4. Stealth
5. Force speed
6. Force/Tech immunity from 3-5 seconds

The laundry list is long.

LordExozone
01.26.2013 , 02:07 AM | #5
Assassin/Shadow is far superior to the Powertech/Vanguard, both in terms of general usefulness in warzones (Shadows are good for every situation) and in 1 vs 1 power (A well played Shadow can take down any class played by an equally skilled player. Vanguards however have the deck stacked against them vs Marauders/Sentinels, Shadows/Assassins and Snipers.) Some people argue 1 vs 1 balance isn't important, but it is, especally for a stealth class, as being able to confidentially take on a node defender is pretty useful.

As icing on the cake, the Shadow has some amazingly effective escape tools, in the form of a complete immunity to force and tech attacks and an in-combat vanish, meaning a properly played Shadow will on average die far less than a Vanguard who has no escape tools whatsoever.
Kote! Kandosii sa kar'ta, Vode an.
Mandalore a'den mhi, Vode an. Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome. Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

Avanami
01.26.2013 , 02:22 AM | #6
Both classes are good. Vanguard/PT is one of the best DPS, its very easy to play. But you must remember one thing about vanguard/pt - it's a team class, you always running with the group, always in the center of action. As for shadow its probably the best solo class in this game. Its a best class for defending nodes/ sneak atacks/door capings.
You must decide for yourself who you wana be.
Akinaro - Jedi Shadow of ToFN

Megatfx
01.26.2013 , 07:34 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by LordExozone View Post
Assassin/Shadow is far superior to the Powertech/Vanguard, both in terms of general usefulness in warzones (Shadows are good for every situation) and in 1 vs 1 power (A well played Shadow can take down any class played by an equally skilled player. Vanguards however have the deck stacked against them vs Marauders/Sentinels, Shadows/Assassins and Snipers.) Some people argue 1 vs 1 balance isn't important, but it is, especally for a stealth class, as being able to confidentially take on a node defender is pretty useful.

As icing on the cake, the Shadow has some amazingly effective escape tools, in the form of a complete immunity to force and tech attacks and an in-combat vanish, meaning a properly played Shadow will on average die far less than a Vanguard who has no escape tools whatsoever.
This guy has no idea what he's talking about. So much that I literally facepalmed when I read his message.

Let me tell you something about RWZ's since this guy has zero experience. They have some useful tools, but do you know what you'll be doing in RWZ's? Solo defending nodes. Why? Because you have stealth. You don't get to be at the fight unless it's brought to you, and the majoirty of the time you'll be sitting there doing nothing for hours on end.

Powertechs have the highest damage in the game, tons of utility and are by far the most fun to play. As a PT you can kill people in roughly 6 seconds when fully geared.

Watch my videos at www.twitch.tv/megatf if you want to see how the class plays.

THEFERRARICARGUY
01.26.2013 , 07:37 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Megatfx View Post
This guy has no idea what he's talking about. So much that I literally facepalmed when I read his message.

Let me tell you something about RWZ's since this guy has zero experience. They have some useful tools, but do you know what you'll be doing in RWZ's? Solo defending nodes. Why? Because you have stealth. You don't get to be at the fight unless it's brought to you, and the majoirty of the time you'll be sitting there doing nothing for hours on end.

Powertechs have the highest damage in the game, tons of utility and are by far the most fun to play. As a PT you can kill people in roughly 6 seconds when fully geared.

Watch my videos at www.twitch.tv/megatf if you want to see how the class plays.
I'm sorry but I'd rather take the node guarding over rolling my face on the keyboard for hours at end.

TheNegotiator
01.26.2013 , 12:20 PM | #9

Exactly what utility are you talking about?

MusicRider
01.26.2013 , 12:34 PM | #10

With the exception of pts utility (was wondering also what utility you are referring to?) the rest are 100% true. In our ranked team and pretty much every ranked team our shadow will either defend the node, guard a door or be in the endzone. On some very special circumstances might go on a special op to fight the other stealthed shadow guarding the other node . On the other hand vans/pts are in the battle for their high burst damage. Having said that normal zones are a different story as you have more "freedom".

EDIT: Still shadows have good damage and some shadows are in the hot area even in ranked as they do really good damage. But for this to happen usually there are 2 shadows in the team or an exceptionally gifted guard of another class.