Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why should I play PvP?

Zataos
01.25.2013 , 07:03 AM | #21
I would say that around 75% of all low lvl PVP players are bad in one way or another, from improper or undergeared, to DPSers that can't DPS, healers that can't heal, most don't focus on objective points, overcommitt to falling objective points and on and on, so in short, you'll have good company in not knowing what the hell you're doing.

As long as you understand that and pay attention to learn the objectives, focus on staying in up to date gear, you will be dominating them all in no time. Knowing your bad is half the battle.
The Chaoticas Legacy -The Shadowlands Server - (40k kills)
(Havaos Jug 50) (Devaos Sorc 50) (Vorhen BH 50) (Venaos Sin 50) (Xaos BH 50) (Zorgen Jug 50) (Zataos Mara 50) (Gwaraos BH 50) (Xenaos Mara 42) (Tavaos Sin 50) (Jenaos Snip 41) (Scaraos Op 27) (Ravaos Jug 31) (Xinaos Sorc 32) (Dreadaos - Jug 22)

cycao
01.25.2013 , 07:05 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by geoffreykhchen View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "Republic Tunnel Vision Syndrome"? Sounds kinda funny too.
Well PvP is objective based, so when someone mentions tunnel vision it means they are there simply to kill and ignore planting bombs in voidstar, running ahead or grabbing the ball in huttball, stopping the cap in NC and CW...things like that.

Anyways if you are 50 and have never stepped foot in a warzone be ready to experience some facerolling. I would recommend starting a new character for that to at least get your feet wet.

kirorx
01.25.2013 , 07:15 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by AlaricSevGirl View Post
SWTOR was my first MMO ever and my first PvP. I left to go to Guildwars 2 which I love, it's my favorite mmo but I came back to SWTOR as my second (when I need a break mmo and yes I did subscribe). Here is my take on the differences in PvP and why I will never again PvP in SWTOR.

1)The nasty people. Guarding a turret, my character was a bounty hunter. People ***** and moan because there are two people on a turret or bunker but then when the one person leaves, the bunker is ganked and I die and it's taken over and then they ***** again. I was level 50 with half war hero and half battlemaster gear. I don't see that in GW2. Occasionally there is some nimrod who does it, but no where near as bad as SWTOR.

2)The gear progression stinks. A full war hero geared tank going against a lesser geared tank will take the lesser geared tank down every time and oh the bragging that goes on is ridiculous. In GW2, there is no gear progression in PvP, it's all about your skill. Everyone has the same gear.

Now that is why I will never PvP in SWTOR again. I came back for the PvE and the stories. PvP just sucks in this game, in my opinion.
First to the OP, yes PVP its fun. Just understand you are going to get killed alot its not a big deal. Worry about the objectives over respawining. After all its just a game.
Until you understand the objectives just go with the crowd, someone usually ahs a battleplan
------------------------------------------------------
To respond to the fellla above me

1) The nasty people
Sure people compalin in WZ and they cry when they are losing but its usually the same people, but its not a PVP thing, in fact I find much more complaining and whining in flaspoints then PVP. Some seriously impatient L33T PvE players out there.

2) I DISAGREE COMPLETLY
I have been here since day 0 and have to say in the begining this was a huge issue.
A fully set BM could crush everyone and it took more than one person to bring them down.
Now i just re-rolled a Jedi Shadow and hit 50 with character with the new system,
The recruit 2 gear worked fine, i had no real complaints. Maybe if we just beat on each other i would lose more often than not, but between cc's, interupts and knockbacks i could win fights despite the gear difference.

It only took a week to get a full set of Warhero and i notice no difference at all when i fight a player in warhero or elite WH. So yes lower gear is a disadvantage to some degree but it's not that noticable anymore.

-----------------
The most important thing in PvP is winning and standing around beating on each other or getting the most kills is not completing the objectives, so teamwork is what wins warzones not eltie WH gear.

MariaD
01.25.2013 , 07:18 AM | #24
Try PvP as a social experiment, or else a study in ethnography or anthropology. You will see strange and exotic behaviors. Be open and curious, then you may enjoy it.

Also, what helps is to have some personal goals in addition, or as a replacement for, group goals. The thing is that the group may be poorly geared or poorly coordinated. If there are some things you can achieve on your own, like getting a few medals or farming for stabilizers or observing patterns of behavior, you will feel tons better if the match as a whole does not work well.
Quicker
Easier
More seductive

Oldrunnar
01.25.2013 , 07:21 AM | #25
If its any consolation, I recently started PvP'ing myself on a Jedi Guardian, now that seems to be all I do, I just enjoy protecting other folks and watching for anything to do that will really annoy or eliminate the enemy =P.

As for OP; What 90% of these people have said is true, the lower levels will definitely help you get use to the way PvP works, as each Warzone has its own style and methods of attack/defense.

Best of luck with it! =)

MadBernieSkills
01.25.2013 , 07:27 AM | #26
There are a ton of players that suck playing pvp. Nobody will notice how terribad you are.
My advice though, don't start at level 50.

Do it at about 41. PVP from 41-49 for your best/easiest experience.
If your first experience is at 50, you will never do it again.

Talosred
01.25.2013 , 07:29 AM | #27
To enjoy the nerd ragers

Plus its fun to do while crafting

drfirewater
01.25.2013 , 07:32 AM | #28
Reasons to play PVP even though you hate it.

1)Lowest tier gear can be RE'd for PVE crafting mats

2) You dont have to care if you win or lose so you dont have to get pvp gear if you dont want to be serious just RE it instead

3) PVP relics are still top end for some classes like healers.

there are no other reasons.... its not competitive its slaughter house ... because even if your in full war hero the hardcore PVPers who should be in ranked are all ganking the people trying to get there gear in unranked because they cant handle ranked teams.

but that is all BWs fault for allowing team forming in unranked but not allowing solo queues for ranked.
SITH HAPPENS
[])])])])])])[]]██████████████████████FYI ..I hate WoW... because its gameplay sucks... no other reason.

drfirewater
01.25.2013 , 07:33 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by MadBernieSkills View Post
There are a ton of players that suck playing pvp. Nobody will notice how terribad you are.
My advice though, don't start at level 50.

Do it at about 41. PVP from 41-49 for your best/easiest experience.
If your first experience is at 50, you will never do it again.
disagree completely ... best exp per second from 47-50 is dailies starting in belsavis and finishing in illum caps you in one day usually then just do class story and cap if you didnt cap from dailies.

PVP is perfectly fine to start at 50 you get a full set of gear just for hitting 50.
SITH HAPPENS
[])])])])])])[]]██████████████████████FYI ..I hate WoW... because its gameplay sucks... no other reason.

MadBernieSkills
01.25.2013 , 10:42 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by drfirewater View Post
disagree completely ... best exp per second from 47-50 is dailies starting in belsavis and finishing in illum caps you in one day usually then just do class story and cap if you didnt cap from dailies.

PVP is perfectly fine to start at 50 you get a full set of gear just for hitting 50.
I didn't say it was the quickest way to level up. I said it was the "easiest" transition into PVP. From 41-49, you will be a beast in PVP because you have most of your abilities. You will be fighting people that don't. Plus some won't have relics or implants even. You have a distinct advantage. When you hit 50, you have a distinct disadvantage. Since you start with 13k hit points (or whatever) and you are playing against people that average 18k+. Not to mention expertise bonus, plus playing against people that know what they are doing.
Not only that, but then you can use your comms earned pre-50 for your 50 gear.