Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why should I play PvP?

aeterno
01.25.2013 , 04:24 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by geoffreykhchen View Post
Thanks a lot for all your advices. I'm really grateful and it is much appreciated. In that case, since the trooper is my favourite class, maybe I'll start troopering it up in PvP and give it a shot.

Thanks every!
That's a bit unlucky if your trooper is a dps commando, they're arguably the class "least suited for pvp" atm. People interrupt your grav round and you're not exactly mobile heh. Vanguards with their pull = pvp fun times tho hehe. Pull in fire, cryo nade, giggle.

Cretinus
01.25.2013 , 04:25 AM | #12
Heya

I only started PvPeing last week myself. At first it was a little weird, cause one does get punched a lot and I was taking it personally at start. But as soon as I started relaxing, it started to make fun.
You'll need recruit gear, otherwise you'll be dead all the time. Actually, even with recruit gear you'll be dead all the time, but when you start getting better stuff it will become better. Inevitably, there will always people in your WZ team that will start complaining that your gear is too low, or that you have only 14/15k HP. Simply ignore them, cause their gear was exactly the same when they started doing WZs and recruit gear is what you're supposed to wear at start. There's no other way to gear up.

Ohh, and play a marauder, if you can
nerf operatives

kijthae
01.25.2013 , 04:39 AM | #13
I wish i could delete this post because its useless

AshlaBoga
01.25.2013 , 04:56 AM | #14
Why?

Well if you're a hardcore raider then for the EWH Relics. 1 EWK Relic + 1 DG Relic is BiS for most ACs.
If you're a collector then for the PvP only speeders and pets.
If you're trying to make credits then to RE the WH gear for Molecular Stabilizers.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

Ulfrik_Wulfgar
01.25.2013 , 05:51 AM | #15
You shouldn't, is the short answer. PvP in this game is fundamentally broken and needs a total re-think on its approach because not only do you suffer from significant class imbalance but you're stuck with bad level design and the combination of the two will lead to huge amounts of frustration (unless you're playing one of the over-balanced classes). Get killed and you're stuck behind a barrier for 30 seconds whilst the other team takes control of the battlefield. Unless you're part of a dedicated guild team, there is no class matching system so PvP teams are completely random and matches are won or lost before you even start based solely upon the make up of a team.

Then there's the bugs with abilities often not activating or you being limited to only be able to run backwards and let's not forget the good ol' stuck on scenery bugs. Last but not least, assuming you are lucky enough not to suffer any of those bugs and you play an over-balanced class and therefore dominate the arena, there are only five warzone maps to play in and none of them are available for player choice; which map you play on being completely random often leading to several matches in a row being played on the same map. Oh and then there's the lag. You'll be frantically trying to do something only to find out you died 10 seconds ago.

This game excels at the single player content, as you would expect from Bioware, but the PvP side really shows Bioware's inexperience in the MMO market and needs a radical overhaul if it is to compete with the likes of GW2, PS2, Eve Online etc.

aeterno
01.25.2013 , 05:59 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Ulfrik_Wulfgar View Post
You shouldn't, is the short answer. PvP in this game is fundamentally broken and needs a total re-think on its approach because not only do you suffer from significant class imbalance but you're stuck with bad level design and the combination of the two will lead to huge amounts of frustration (unless you're playing one of the over-balanced classes). Get killed and you're stuck behind a barrier for 30 seconds whilst the other team takes control of the battlefield. Unless you're part of a dedicated guild team, there is no class matching system so PvP teams are completely random and matches are won or lost before you even start based solely upon the make up of a team.

Then there's the bugs with abilities often not activating or you being limited to only be able to run backwards and let's not forget the good ol' stuck on scenery bugs. Last but not least, assuming you are lucky enough not to suffer any of those bugs and you play an over-balanced class and therefore dominate the arena, there are only five warzone maps to play in and none of them are available for player choice; which map you play on being completely random often leading to several matches in a row being played on the same map. Oh and then there's the lag. You'll be frantically trying to do something only to find out you died 10 seconds ago.

This game excels at the single player content, as you would expect from Bioware, but the PvP side really shows Bioware's inexperience in the MMO market and needs a radical overhaul if it is to compete with the likes of GW2, PS2, Eve Online etc.
you were on a roll up to the very end, but then you did one too many.

Sean Connery, Michael Caine and Ulfrik_Wulfgar, starring in "A troll too far".

AlaricSevGirl
01.25.2013 , 06:25 AM | #17
SWTOR was my first MMO ever and my first PvP. I left to go to Guildwars 2 which I love, it's my favorite mmo but I came back to SWTOR as my second (when I need a break mmo and yes I did subscribe). Here is my take on the differences in PvP and why I will never again PvP in SWTOR.

1)The nasty people. Guarding a turret, my character was a bounty hunter. People ***** and moan because there are two people on a turret or bunker but then when the one person leaves, the bunker is ganked and I die and it's taken over and then they ***** again. I was level 50 with half war hero and half battlemaster gear. I don't see that in GW2. Occasionally there is some nimrod who does it, but no where near as bad as SWTOR.

2)The gear progression stinks. A full war hero geared tank going against a lesser geared tank will take the lesser geared tank down every time and oh the bragging that goes on is ridiculous. In GW2, there is no gear progression in PvP, it's all about your skill. Everyone has the same gear.

Now that is why I will never PvP in SWTOR again. I came back for the PvE and the stories. PvP just sucks in this game, in my opinion.

HakkaP
01.25.2013 , 06:40 AM | #18
Hello there geoffrie.

MMO:s can be though to shy people. Im a lot like you. I dont know what it is, its just a game after all, but its very difficult for me to look for groups. First time I played flashpoints and heroic quests I had to get drunk to find the courage. Good to know im not the only one to find grouping hard. Group finder makes it a lot easier tho.

Ive been playing 3 weeks now and havent tried PVP yet. Im probably going to try that soon too.

Cretinus
01.25.2013 , 06:43 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by AlaricSevGirl View Post
SWTOR was my first MMO ever and my first PvP. I left to go to Guildwars 2 which I love, it's my favorite mmo but I came back to SWTOR as my second (when I need a break mmo and yes I did subscribe). Here is my take on the differences in PvP and why I will never again PvP in SWTOR.

1)The nasty people. Guarding a turret, my character was a bounty hunter. People ***** and moan because there are two people on a turret or bunker but then when the one person leaves, the bunker is ganked and I die and it's taken over and then they ***** again. I was level 50 with half war hero and half battlemaster gear. I don't see that in GW2. Occasionally there is some nimrod who does it, but no where near as bad as SWTOR.

2)The gear progression stinks. A full war hero geared tank going against a lesser geared tank will take the lesser geared tank down every time and oh the bragging that goes on is ridiculous. In GW2, there is no gear progression in PvP, it's all about your skill. Everyone has the same gear.

Now that is why I will never PvP in SWTOR again. I came back for the PvE and the stories. PvP just sucks in this game, in my opinion.
I agree that jerky comments are rather common in WZs and that gear progression is much too steep. But it's still more fun to play SWTOR PvP than GW2, which I found to be rather boring. But this is a matter of taste, of course.
nerf operatives

Goretzu
01.25.2013 , 06:57 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by geoffreykhchen View Post
, but I've always had a huge fear of getting my hiney whooped by some other player (especially an empire player since I'm a hard line republic player) and also I'm especially afraid of letting my team mates down if I ever join a group and I hate to be the one failing the team.

In PvP you die, a lot, it is utterly intrinsic to PvP no matter how "good" or "bad" you are.

The first thing you have to do is let go of that and not let it bother you, the second thing is to remember that EVERYONE loses sometimes (and that a lot of people don't understand that - hence much of "rage" you might come across), after that everything else is just experience.

Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1