Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why should I play PvP?

geoffreykhchen
01.25.2013 , 03:45 AM | #1
Hey there everyone!

First of all let me say that I am a rather shy and introverted person and SWTOR is my second mmorpg, and the first that I've played for a long time. I have played this game for quite some time now and as previously mentioned, you would understand why I rarely play in groups and why my characters have really low to no social points at all (plus I play late at night since I get of work pretty darn late too). Also due to such reason, I am a huge PvEer and I don't have a single character on PvP.

However I've been reading a lot of articles and forum threads and came to understand that a lot of sweet gears and weapons can be obtained through PvP, but I've always had a huge fear of getting my hiney whooped by some other player (especially an empire player since I'm a hard line republic player) and also I'm especially afraid of letting my team mates down if I ever join a group and I hate to be the one failing the team. However I'm willing to give PvP a shot with a little opinion from you guys.

So what should I do? Should I play PvP? Any opinions in convincing me to start my journey down the PvP road? Please help out a fellow player, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!!
I was once a Jedi with large puppy dog eyes and who steals pens

Darka
01.25.2013 , 03:54 AM | #2
There is no harm in trying
Whats the worst that could happen?

Give it a fair go though, Id suggest lower level pvp ( pre 50) first.
It can be the school of hard knocks though

Say you are new and learning and 99% will be cool with that

aeterno
01.25.2013 , 04:03 AM | #3
Coming from kotor to mmos, I started out much the same way OP. In the end I came for story but after I played that through I stayed for guildies and PvP.

I'd suggest you make a low level alt and try to pvp from early levels. That way you come to grips with the class in pvp, as playing pvp is a bit different than just going through your optimal PvE rotation. Lets call it reaction based heh.

Plus that way you start off in the 1-49 bracket that's way more forgiving than the 50s arena.

You may grow to like it. Just don't get discouraged if you have a rough start at it heh.

SilentKitty
01.25.2013 , 04:04 AM | #4
Why you might want to try it. Because perhaps you will have fun playing it. If it wasn't to your liking no harm done and just keep going on with the PvE in stead. PvE is my preferred gamestyle but it is fun with a little bit of variation every now and then.

A good way to go about it. I would try it out with a new alt, the PvP matches are a little bit more forgiving in low-lvl-PvP so I would start out there. Also, if it is a lvl 11 char no one expects you to have all those awesome abilities just yet. No expects your sage to forcesprint with the ball during hutball if you actually don't have that talent yet. If you want to feel a little more prepared, youtube the different WZ:s a bit before going in.

On my first game I actually just said so in the chatt. "Hello, this is my first WZ. I'll try to be as useful as possible =)" . Was prepared to get a lot of negative comments but luckily there was a great group of people playing then, they asked if I needed help with the tactics and wished me good luck.

Give it a go, it might be fun and then you can continue with it. Or it might not be your thing, and then you know it and can happily continue with the PvE.

Cheers and have fun on the forum

sharpenedstick
01.25.2013 , 04:06 AM | #5
You should only pvp if you find it fun. It's not like we're so desperate for more people that we have to convince you. That being said, I find a lot of PvE'ers have this bizarre fear of dying to other players, when they'll happily get massacred by AI-mobs all day long. It's just ego, and once you get over getting killed by people you assume are just pimple-faced teens, I think you'll find the occasional WZ can be a good addition to your SWTOR play.

As far as letting your team down, so long as you play for objectives and avoid becoming a dpshero or falling victim to Republic Tunnel Vision Syndrome, you'll already be better than 90% of PvPers.

schmerzbringer
01.25.2013 , 04:07 AM | #6
The answer is: 42

Or to make it more simple: yes, no, maybe

I feel frustrated reading such posts, cos we are playing a game not more not less. And I donīt need arguments, why I should play pve or pvp. I enjoy fighting player, I enjoy fighting in Ops.

I do it for fun!!

So why should you play pvp. Itīs fun ^^

As your Declaration of Independence put in nicely: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Well, I am happy playing Swtor. ^^ ^^ ^^

There are no arguments than your personal feeling towards your own playstyle.

geoffreykhchen
01.25.2013 , 04:15 AM | #7
Thanks a lot for all your advices. I'm really grateful and it is much appreciated. In that case, since the trooper is my favourite class, maybe I'll start troopering it up in PvP and give it a shot.

Thanks every!

SilentKitty
01.25.2013 , 04:16 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by geoffreykhchen View Post
Thanks a lot for all your advices. I'm really grateful and it is much appreciated. In that case, since the trooper is my favourite class, maybe I'll start troopering it up in PvP and give it a shot.

Thanks every!
Good luck hope you will have fun!

Llama-Eight
01.25.2013 , 04:18 AM | #9
In addition to what everyone else has said, if you find you don't like it, you're not really missing out on anything, since the only things that can only be got from PvP that a PvE player would "need" are some of the high-end relics which are best in slot for some classes. If you're primarily focused on PvE there's nothing that that's absolutely essential (unless you're the hardcore-est of the hardcore) that can only be got from PvP.

Personally, I used to be a PvE-only player, but dabbled in PvP a bit, now that my guild have cleared all of the content (that we want to, we don't really want to do the Explosive Conflict Nightmare Mode operation) & I've got as many alts as I really want, I'm playing more PvP & I enjoy it as it's more variable than PvE, depite there only being ~4 different maps.

As everyone else has said, try it out in the lvl 10-49 bracket & don't be worried about sucking for the first few times, it's quite a bit different to PvE. Your opponents will, usually but not always, be more intelligent than the NPCs. Read up about PvP in general (there are a few stickied threads in the PvP forum), your class in PvP specifically & what to do in the various PvP maps (they're all objective-based, ie, capture & hold various turrets/pylons/etc to gain points & win).

Edit: And yes, have fun & don't worry about dieing, you will, lots (as long as you take a few of them with you, it's all good)...

geoffreykhchen
01.25.2013 , 04:19 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by sharpenedstick View Post
As far as letting your team down, so long as you play for objectives and avoid becoming a dpshero or falling victim to Republic Tunnel Vision Syndrome, you'll already be better than 90% of PvPers.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Republic Tunnel Vision Syndrome"? Sounds kinda funny too.