Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking - Are healers suppose to dps/heal?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Tanking - Are healers suppose to dps/heal?

Furiel
01.31.2013 , 04:42 PM | #21
That was one of things I always hated about healing in EQ2, the expectation there was X healing AND Y DPS. It was obnoxiou and if you wiped on content it was almost always blamed on the healer because they spent too much time healing and not DPSing, or too much time DPSing and not healing. You just couldn't win.

I always tell my healers to throw DPS as long as the following criteria are met...
a) everyone's health is at a managable state AND
b) you will not overtax your resources AND
c) you have nothing else to do

A sage doting up the boss or a scoundrel dropping a flyby on the boss does me no good if a minute later they are out of resources and we are wiping because they spent their resources trying to help out with DPS and now can't heal anyone. And if we are hitting enrage and wiping then it's the DPS that has to get their game up, not the healers needing to DPS.
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

Phill
01.31.2013 , 04:49 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TheMove View Post
I have tanked in alot of MMOs and been tanking on my Jugg alot in swtor pre 50. In my flashpoints Im getting alot of healers that throw a couple heals and "try" to dps. Half the time Im struggling just to live poping all my cool downs and meds while I see the stupid healer attacking mobs and I have to spend all my time trying to get the aggro off them. Its making tanking 3xs harder than it should be and a chore.

I just wanted to ask if healers are expected to dps in flashpoints? Im getting alot more healers attacking all the mobs than I do in other MMOs.

Wanted to check before I start opening my mouth. Its driving me insane.
Yes and no, I have both level 50 healer and tank..as a healer and I will dps if needed. My primary focus is to make sure everyone is in good health. However, if you find yourself hitting enraged timers due to low dps..the a healer needs to dps..

If you have good dps, that is a different story. However, I will go with my guild that is all in 61's and or 63's. and mobs drop like flies..I might throw out a bit of dps here and there just because I can.

So to keep it simple, it all depends..group makeup, gear make up..etc.. Also if you healer is good and knows how to manage resources. New level 50 healers, I would avoid any dps until you are better geared and have a better understanding of end game healing.
"General, surely there must be SOMEBODY left who needs some killing, or some killing done for them."......."Sorry, Major. There's nobody left. You've killed them all. "

Grendel_Prime
01.31.2013 , 04:51 PM | #23
I've never done a healer until SW:TOR, usually dps and it was initially hard to get out of that mindset

Personally, if I'm there to heal then that's what I do. Force Armor, Force Lift etc...sure but I don't go looking for the chance to toss out some DPS. I'd rather a fight take a little longer without my DPS contributing, then have a wipe because I miscalculated on resources or something.

That being said, I don't try to keep everyone at full. That's not my job. My job is to keep everyone standing. Don't ***** at me if your health drops to 50% or less, especially if your AOE broke my CC and you got reamed. Don't ***** at me because you're jumping all over the place breaking LOS. Don't make healing harder than it has to be or I won't go out of my way. Unless you're the tank, in which case I always follow your lead.

Vonstagger
01.31.2013 , 07:44 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Grendel_Prime View Post
That being said, I don't try to keep everyone at full. That's not my job. My job is to keep everyone standing. Don't ***** at me if your health drops to 50% or less, especially if your AOE broke my CC and you got reamed. Don't ***** at me because you're jumping all over the place breaking LOS. Don't make healing harder than it has to be or I won't go out of my way. Unless you're the tank, in which case I always follow your lead.
This.

I wouldn't play a healer that did nothing but heal unless the fight required it. And IMO if you disagree feel free to get another. Especially annoying when you have to start cc'ing and some d.a. keeps breaking. That's 95% a dps though.

Like the others have said, sounds like a class queued as healer while dps spec'd.

Chloe
02.01.2013 , 11:55 AM | #25
It's because of how the group finder works. If you're a class that has a healing tree, even if you're dps spec, when you Q for a flashpoint, by default, it selects Heals and DPS. So a lot of times, DPS who Q don't unclick the heal option and they're selected as the healer for the flashpoint and half the time don't even know it, or just refuse to do it.
Bubbles
RIP Twin Spears/Fatman Princess
P5 Scoundrel & Operative Sparkle Healer

Check out my blog!

Fiamma_Verde
02.01.2013 , 03:08 PM | #26
If I am running with a well meaning newbie tank, who is still learning (or we lack a tank) I will gladly focus 100% on healing. If I am in unfamiliar content, or running more difficult content I will focus 100% on healing.

If, on the other hand, the tank is really good or the group as a whole is easy to keep up I'll probably DPS. Instances like Esseles I will act primarily as a DPS and heal as we're heading towards the next pull. More than that isn't really necessary, and I want to have fun and not just stand there.

In some cases, when the tank or DPS aren't doing their jobs I may DPS to keep mobs off of myself, or throw out some damage in between heals to help us make an enrage timer.

For the most part, I know what I am capable of, and I know the flashpoints and some of the ops really well. After the first couple pulls I'll have a general idea what the tank and DPS are capable of as well. Once you got that down it's fairly easy to anticipate incoming damage and to heal or DPS accordingly. I couldn't do this when I new, but there is no reason why I can't or shouldn't now. Have a little faith in your healers, often we know what we're doing.

cultivatedmass
02.01.2013 , 09:30 PM | #27
healing is incredibly overpowered in this game before 50. they have plenty of time to do deeps in between a single heal that fills your entire health bar for no resources..

even full dps spec works beautifully if they have a heal on their bar.

Midasear
02.02.2013 , 01:55 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by cultivatedmass View Post
healing is incredibly overpowered in this game before 50. they have plenty of time to do deeps in between a single heal that fills your entire health bar for no resources..

even full dps spec works beautifully if they have a heal on their bar.
I have to agree with the first part of this. I've leveled a heal-specced Operative & Consular to 50, and am doing a combat support Merc now.

Before Red Reaper, a well-equipped & specced healer can easily split time between DPS and heals except on a few fights per flashpoint. If the healer & the tank are over-leveled for the flashpoint, the healer can productively split DPS & Heals on pretty much all the fights. Sure, it probably amounts to >1/3 of the DPS a dedicated Deeper does, but every little bit speeds things along.

It should also be pointed out that Smuggler/Operative healers have two resources to manage. They sometimes are DPSing not so much to dPS, but to pick up Upper Hand/Tactical Advantage. When I'm on my operative, if nobody really needs a heal but tactical advantage < 3 or is about to drop, I'm going to throw out a shiv or shoot down a weak mob.

But, I've never actually tried healing a flashpoint while specced for DPS. In fact, that strikes me as a pretty terrible idea for all the flashpoints after Athiss. All the heal trees include a signature heal ability at L20, and that ability is increasing needed except in seriously overpowered groups .. which is usually not the case with a PUG.

dfreinha
02.03.2013 , 05:53 PM | #29
I'm a DPS Sorc, recently there have been several times that I have queued for DPS in GF, but when GF pops it lists me as the healer. The first time this happened I thought I forgot to uncheck the healer box in GF so I declined group, went back in to GF unchecked the healer box box and queued again. 25-30 mins later GF pops and i'm listed as the healer again. Some of the "healers" the OP is talking about may have been DPS players that were switched to healer by the bugged GF system. This seems to only happen when I'm queued for GF for a long period of time. I have filled out a bug report but have not received a response from BW (ticket still open).

Stressfire
02.04.2013 , 03:35 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by dfreinha View Post
I'm a DPS Sorc, recently there have been several times that I have queued for DPS in GF, but when GF pops it lists me as the healer. The first time this happened I thought I forgot to uncheck the healer box in GF so I declined group, went back in to GF unchecked the healer box box and queued again. 25-30 mins later GF pops and i'm listed as the healer again. Some of the "healers" the OP is talking about may have been DPS players that were switched to healer by the bugged GF system. This seems to only happen when I'm queued for GF for a long period of time. I have filled out a bug report but have not received a response from BW (ticket still open).
Oh, good, so it's not just me. I had this happen quite a bit as a DPS Merc. I just went ahead and healed the FPs after telling the group what happened. We did fine and no one died - granted, I'm talking Hammer Station and Cademimu here - so nothing requiring heroic measures, especially since both tank and I were over-level and well-geared. But annoying nonetheless.

As to Healers dpsing a bit, I recently spec'd to Bodyguard and, yeah, I'll throw out an Unload or a missle or 2 while fighting trash mobs just to help speed things along, but during boss fights I'm waaay too busy watching health, for the group and myself to do anything but heal