Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Preorder Early Access

Blackardin
01.24.2013 , 10:03 AM | #11
Quote:
This sounds like a way of punishing players for being cautious before buying.
Marketing ploy to gain revenue.

Clearly, if the potential seller is being vague, or close mouthed to the perspective buyer while holding his hand out, all sorts of bells and whistles should be going off in the potential buyers head.

Marketing techniques help to deaden those bells and whistles by, as is the most basic goal of marketing, not to attempting to sell the the perspective buyer but instill in them a need to buy. That is what we are seeing here, and that is why people are flocking to this like lambs to the slaughter without even knowing what they are purchasing.

It amazes me, but it continues to work.
May the Schwartz be with you....

Blackardin
01.24.2013 , 10:08 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlbo_Nabbins View Post
Or you know you are going to buy the expansion anyway so getting 5 days early access is a nice bonus for the money you are definitely going to spend.

5 levels, new planet, new skills and talent points is enough for me to justify spending a small amount of money. I don't care if there is no definitive news on FPs or OPs. Those will arrive either with the expansion or later on but you will still need to have bought the expansion to experience them on level.
How do you get those five levels? what is the process? Will there be gear for those levels once you get there? What will you do once you get those five levels (a few days after the expansion?) if there is no end game content, no further content at all for the new level?. Will you have passed all current content and now have nothing at all to do, to work for as you previous gear is outdated and no new gear is present? What is the size of this new planet? Huge? what is "huge?". Is it a single zone that will mash all players into it? Will it be broken for a year as Ilum currently is?

Five new levels, new planet, new skills and talent points is like saying the care we are trying to sell you have four tires, uses gas, has a radio. Not much to go on.

Vandicus
01.24.2013 , 10:10 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
Marketing ploy to gain revenue.

Clearly, if the potential seller is being vague, or close mouthed to the perspective buyer while holding his hand out, all sorts of bells and whistles should be going off in the potential buyers head.

Marketing techniques help to deaden those bells and whistles by, as is the most basic goal of marketing, not to attempting to sell the the perspective buyer but instill in them a need to buy. That is what we are seeing here, and that is why people are flocking to this like lambs to the slaughter without even knowing what they are purchasing.

It amazes me, but it continues to work.

You seem rather paranoid there. I take it this is your first experience with pre-orders and video games?

Early access reduces the chaos of launch days. We've been given a reasonable amount of information, which is enough to make a ten dollar purchase for many people. And no, preorders are not a marketing scheme to steal money from people.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Arlon_Nabarlly
01.24.2013 , 10:10 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalfear View Post
If I could have been sure we all could have still adventured togather with out the DLC,
You can never be sure of what is coming in the future.

United_Strafes
01.24.2013 , 10:36 AM | #15
If you play the game and hope to progress you should already own it, esp as a subscriber. Seriously go sell lemonaide with your little sister for 2 hours and ask her for $10.

Briljin
01.24.2013 , 10:59 AM | #16
Quote:
I just wish Bioware would stop playing the favorites game with its customers.
But they aren't playing favorites. They made the same offer to EVERYONE, regardless of your customer status. Knowing what they were offering, you made the decision to not take advantage of the offer.

Quote:
If you really want/feel you need the early access it's either:
Or you enjoy the game and are confident that the expansion will be worth the whole $10 it costs a subscriber.

Blackardin
01.25.2013 , 10:08 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
You seem rather paranoid there. I take it this is your first experience with pre-orders and video games?

Early access reduces the chaos of launch days. We've been given a reasonable amount of information, which is enough to make a ten dollar purchase for many people. And no, preorders are not a marketing scheme to steal money from people.
First, do not insult me. I've not insulted you, and I probably have more experience gaming then you have on this earth so lets not act pompous and adolescent. Address the issues, not my psychological well being. Green?

In that experience of almost 20 years I have never witnessed any release, any per-order, any content update where there was a request for payment with little to no information released as to the content.

I've also run a successful bushiness for about 30 years and have never once had any credible sub-contractor, supplier, or anyone request payment for anything without full disclosure. Its just not done and for obvious reasons. In fact, the only time I've seen vagueness of this sort was when there was some shady dealings about to transpire. That does not make one paranoid (as your off the cuff insult may has implied), it's simply good business sense so either every bank, business, insurance company in the world are filled with paranoid executives or you are way off base with your assumptions and insults.

Urael
01.25.2013 , 10:13 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlon_Nabarlly View Post
Early access and pre-orders aren't uncommon in the gaming world. I do think they should have had a lot more data out before cutting off the date, but eh. If you really want/feel you need the early access it's either:
- No impulse control, must have the next shiny (in case you don't really need details)
- You are in a guild/raid group and need to stay in line with guildies (in which the access is more important than the details)

I think it was poor planning to have so few details before early access cutoff, but thinking you get early access again just because you did before is silly.
You forgot that $10 is a pittance and worth the risk. Getting 5 exta days at new content for less than the price of viewing a movie in the theatre. I don't see why people are taking the tact of "I will not plunk down $10 until I know what's in the expansion". Again $10 is nothing.

Urael
01.25.2013 , 10:14 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post

^QFT.

/agree.

Blackardin
01.25.2013 , 10:25 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
You forgot that $10 is a pittance and worth the risk. Getting 5 exta days at new content for less than the price of viewing a movie in the theatre. I don't see why people are taking the tact of "I will not plunk down $10 until I know what's in the expansion". Again $10 is nothing.
Great example.

This is why it works. It is a fool-proof marketing scheme, and guaranteed to work because of the mentality we see here. It is "only 10 dollars". True enough, but it represents a windfall, depending on player numbers, in the area of 10 million dollars with no risk of loss, no responsibility to provide adequate content, just, "early access". There is no chance of repercussions or litigation because they've delivered what they've marketed-early access. Further, the cost, as you've stated, is so low to each individual as to make it not worth the cost or effort to pursue should they fail to provide an adequate product.

Even in those cases where one may exceed rational thought and pursue, the refund of 10 dollars to settle out is an absolute minimum. There are only "watch-dog" entities to be concerned with, and in this particular industry it is highly unlikely.

That is just one example of the mechanics involved in this type of transaction. It is a win for them all the way across the board regardless of what content they produce. Keep in mind that I'm not arguing the affordability of the offer. I am also not arguing that it is a scam. I'm simply putting forth the contention that this is a text-book example of how such scams function and is being employed by a parent company that has an established reputation, not for illegal, but less then completely honorable transactions.