Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

do something about WZ quitters

Sadishist
01.24.2013 , 02:56 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ElvisLegShaker View Post
Hey dippiy doo, did you read what you replied to? Just in case, here it is -

"There are several, chief among them being it is simply not fun to play with people who aren't trying.
I have as much right to leave them to the style of game they want to play as they do trying to impose a style of gameplay on the time I set aside for recreation.
Assure me a certain level of commitment and effort, and I'll stay for the duration.
Eggs"

No where in that did he say anything about being carried. He is more than likely ref players like you (since you show an ability not to comprehend what is being written - I imagine it affects things like "inc calls", etc...) .. you know - not even trying.

At any rate ... I agree with him. When I join a match and am trying my little heart out and no one is bothering to do anything but derping it trying to get a medal here and there for death matching it.. I tend to leave.

And before you drop your paste bucket and get all tight in the shorts, I have back filled and have, many times, got in just so i can see the end match screen. When I back fill and there is time, I look around to see what folks are doing - did the guy I replaced rage quit because of:

(1) a cap or a point lead

or did he throw his hands up in despair and say the heck with it because

(2) the team would rather lick their monitor instead of trying for objectives.

If it's (1) I'll stick around and try my little heart out. If it's (2) I'll follow his lead and head out looking for a different match.
Unfortunately there's no way to determine if you left for reason 1 (illegitimate) or 2 (semi-legitimate), so the best way is to give all WZ quitters a 5-10 minute time-out from being in queue like WoW's effective way.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

Sadishist
01.25.2013 , 04:21 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by ElvisLegShaker View Post
And before you drop your paste bucket and get all tight in the shorts, I have back filled and have, many times, got in just so i can see the end match screen. When I back fill and there is time, I look around to see what folks are doing - did the guy I replaced rage quit because of:

(1) a cap or a point lead

or did he throw his hands up in despair and say the heck with it because

(2) the team would rather lick their monitor instead of trying for objectives.

If it's (1) I'll stick around and try my little heart out. If it's (2) I'll follow his lead and head out looking for a different match.
Not to mention, you didn't address the part where you have more obligation to stay in a match you're losing than a new player's obligation to join your losing match, since you are part of the team when you started losing. Whether you like your team or not you are still part of the team and new queue joiners shouldn't waste their time in the queue joining late to the match in which you have some responsibility for the lost.

Don't be a quitter, or you won't get far in life.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

tXHereticXt
01.25.2013 , 04:46 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoofa View Post
There are loads of threads on this subject already and unlike this one they have a lot of posts from people on both sides of this.
You need to read all arguments.
I've seen this same habit take place in the old Guild Wars Guru Forums and the only excuse I'd see is that it saves them time when they feel a pending loss. That's entirely subjective, which I wouldn't want to tolerate anyways because it screws it up for the rest. On the other end in TOR however, if they go afk they will just get booted anyways so there isn't much that can be done about it.

Most of the time it does boil down to elitists who think their efforts are more important than all else and if they feel they can't be of much help or aren't topping the charts, getting smashed, they leave just to re-queu to play some more. Hopefully with better luck. A sore loser, however is a sore loser.

Eggsalicious
01.25.2013 , 05:44 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Unfortunately there's no way to determine if you left for reason 1 (illegitimate) or 2 (semi-legitimate), so the best way is to give all WZ quitters a 5-10 minute time-out from being in queue like WoW's effective way.
1. The reasons for leaving are either legitimate or illegitimate. There is no such thing as 'semi-legitimacy;' it doesn't exist just because you write it and happen to dislike the arguments against your position.

2. Thankfully, you don't get to be the arbiter of what is and isn't illegitimate when determining how other people spend their time. Nor should anyone.

3. Your concession that it is impossible to determine if someone left for legitimate or illegitimate reasons, and the implication that leaving for legitimate reasons is somehow mitigating, work in concert to undermine your original 'semi-premise.'

4. Your proposal addresses an observable symptom of the problem and not its cause.

Do better.

~Eggs

TheBBP
01.25.2013 , 07:40 AM | #15
Well since someone else has to come take their spot on the losing team...
I am not arguing for them brother. I don't even PVP. Those are just the things that I have read here.
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk

ElvisLegShaker
01.25.2013 , 11:41 AM | #16
No, there is no way to determine how I got there to back fill (rage quit, said the hell with it, CTD, tripped over the cord, spilled coffee on the keyboard, house exploded, etc..).

However, like I said, if I get in the WZ and there is time I will look around and see what everyone is doing. If the team I join is too busy looking at all the pretty colors I will follow suit (regardless of the reason I ended up in that mess) and leave to look for another match - which hopefully pulls me out of the rotation that groups me with the window lickers.

The person who replaces me can do the same... no one is forcing that person to stay in a hopeless situation - just as no one can force me to stay in one. See how that works?

I back filled a match one time and was called an ******e for killing (or rather, helping to kill) a enemy that was at our door. Why? The guy's complete "/say" to me was, "thanks for taking my solo kill ******e". I replied back, "I thought we were suppose to be a team?". You see, when you join a match and it's full of people like that .. makes it hard to stay in that match.

I imagine, since they were at the second door, the person I replaced either raged out or had an accidental cord dislodge (who knows, maybe his 'roids flared up). BUT - looking around and seeing the team actually trying to defend the doors (regardless of that particular player) I stayed and tried my little heart out.

I think the problem is more of a "carry me" attitude than anything. I have seen many players rage quit (I know they do because they never fail to leave without parting with some of their great wisdom, "fail team you guys suckzor!!!1!" when the other team blows through the first door, gets a point right off the bat, etc...

The funny thing about it however, is that I have seen many of these same ragers STAY in a match when that happens in our team's favor - looking at the end game stats you can see that the person(s) in question did very little damage/healing with hardly any obj points. Yes, if you are not carrying these morons, you are a fail team. Why stick it out with a team full of these people?

* A mini game I like to play - I make note of these people (the ones who never fail to call names before they scream at their monitor and knock their stuffed animal, Mr Wiggums, out of their lap while rage quitting) ... I make note of em because I like to mark them with a blaster and target them when they are on the opposing team. Of course, I tell my team, "rage quitter marked with blaster - smack him if you get a chance".

At any rate .. it is not up to me to (nor can I) carry a team full of .. something. But by making a debuff, of any length of time or carrying any type of penalty, you will only increase your chances of not being carried.

You see, what will happen is folks will just guard a node (instead of being farmed) or stand at the line to get a player to leap to them (to score and end the match quicker). And folks already do this when some higher sense of purpose tells them not to leave the WZ because they feel bad about sucking some other player into the mess.

Either way, you won't be carried.
Just a FYI -- I will more than likely not respond back to the message this is attached to. Because, quite frankly, I said what I had to say and I really don't care beyond that. Have a nice day .. =)

ElvisLegShaker
01.25.2013 , 12:09 PM | #17
Not to mention, you didn't address the part where you have more obligation to stay in a match you're losing than a new player's obligation to join your losing match, since you are part of the team when you started losing. Whether you like your team or not you are still part of the team and new queue joiners shouldn't waste their time in the queue joining late to the match in which you have some responsibility for the lost.
I understand it's not fun to join a match in the progress of getting a virtual wedgy. However, no one is forcing you to stay there until your boxers are the newest fashion in thongs.

As for me leaving a match that I started in .. like I said, I will try my little heart out. You can usually tell within the first couple of minutes or so how the match is going to be played out.

Let me make this clear - I do not leave because of blowouts, I do not leave because of recruit gear, I do not leave because of noob or "thought I was pro" mistakes... All I am asking for is that each and every player puts in the same 100% that I do (that is fair, right?). IF the team is actually trying and we are getting our *** kicked, I have no problem. I'll stay in there and collect my black eye with the rest of em.

However, IF the team has gone full retard, I will leave and hopefully get in another rotation.

Don't be a quitter, or you won't get far in life.
I agree .. I was going to give up smoking but according to you, I won't get very far in life if I quit. Oh wait .. that's real life and this.. this is only a game.

Nah, I understand what you are saying with that pearl ... but I can separate pixel from reality.
Just a FYI -- I will more than likely not respond back to the message this is attached to. Because, quite frankly, I said what I had to say and I really don't care beyond that. Have a nice day .. =)