Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The speeders that were supposed to protect you from being knocked on your bum...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The speeders that were supposed to protect you from being knocked on your bum...

kifa
01.21.2013 , 07:41 AM | #1
So I got this Nightshade-speeder that is supposed to offer 'excellent protection from being knocked off'... Yeah, that is a blatant lie if I ever saw one. I get knocked on my bum everytime mobs take a shot at me. Even those that are four levels below me. Why??

I've come to terms with being knocked off my mount when I play mmo's. It's a fact of life... Even though I think it's an insanely stupid and frustrating feature, that always seems to find its way into these types of games.

But why put this description on these speeders when it is clearly not true? Is it a bug or an oversight, or is it just a thinly veiled troll attempt?
"And so across the vastness of space, two masters of power touch minds. One, the very essence of Jedi, the other dark beyond darkness."

StefanTOR
01.21.2013 , 07:46 AM | #2
What speeder level do you have? I think it only works on level 3. If that's the case it's definitely a wrong description on the bike.

xandax
01.21.2013 , 07:46 AM | #3
Don't know if that specific vehicle is bugged or not, but there's generally a big difference between the ones I've used across the levels.
I can still get knocked down/off, but it's vastly different across the characters and levels I have (had)

Speeder 1 to Speeder 3 gave me a distinct different experience.
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

AlexDougherty
01.21.2013 , 07:47 AM | #4
Protection from being knocked off, not having the speeder blow up underneath you. The most it can offer is an increase in the amount of damage it takes before this happens or an increase in the speeder's dodge value. Although to be honest it is probably just spiel, the speeder vendor is like a secondhand car salesman, nice story but you can't beleive a word of it.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

SNCommand
01.21.2013 , 07:47 AM | #5
Do you have speeder piloting lvl 3?

Because from what I remember a speeder lvl 1 means little resistance, 2 means moderate resistance and 3 means high resistance

A adaptive speeder then would then function according to which speeder piloting lvl you have
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

kifa
01.21.2013 , 07:49 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
The most it can offer is an increase in the amount of damage it takes before this happens or an increase in the speeder's dodge value.
Haven't tested it on a level 50 yet, so can't speak to that. I have it on my level 20 with speeder piloting 1. What I do know is that it happens the instant someone shoots at me.
"And so across the vastness of space, two masters of power touch minds. One, the very essence of Jedi, the other dark beyond darkness."

SNCommand
01.21.2013 , 07:50 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by kifa View Post
Haven't tested it on a level 50 yet, so can't speak to that. I have it on my level 20 with speeder piloting 1. What I do know is that it happens the instant someone shoots at me.
There's your problem
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

kifa
01.21.2013 , 07:53 AM | #8
I hate this game mechanic.... with every fiber of my being.

SpearlikeAtom
01.21.2013 , 08:24 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by kifa View Post
I hate this game mechanic.... with every fiber of my being.
Speeder piloting 1 isn't supposed to protect you from anything, regardless of the speeder you have. If you hate the mechanic so much, I have a very easy solution... Don't play. If you hate something why continue to take part in it?

SNCommand
01.21.2013 , 08:28 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by SpearlikeAtom View Post
Speeder piloting 1 isn't supposed to protect you from anything, regardless of the speeder you have. If you hate the mechanic so much, I have a very easy solution... Don't play. If you hate something why continue to take part in it?
Better yet, why is he playing in a sort of way that has him speeding past so many mobs? Killing NPCs are a core part of most RPGs, they're a source of income, gear and experience which trying to speeder past removes