Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Take a page from WoW and let Tanks do some dmg.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Take a page from WoW and let Tanks do some dmg.

Petnil
01.21.2013 , 06:30 AM | #21
It´s fine that tanks do less damage, noone is arguing that. But all tanks should do about the same damage. Atm guardian/juggernaut tanks does 200 less dps than other tanks and with threath generator that´s 400tps. Ofc we could just get more threath to some of our skills but as we get even better gear the differense between ex. shadow tanks dps and guardian tanks dps will grow again and guardians will end up generatin less tps thann other tanks again.

No, tanks shouldn´t do the same dps as a dps player. BUT they should do the same dps as other tanks. If one tank does more damage than another tank the low "dps" tank will end up with threath problems.

Gearscaling should increase tanks tps just as much as the dps guys tps. with the mods and enhancement tanks will ofc go for max defensive stats and more or less avoid any dps stats.. Ofc they do. It´s what tanks do. Fokus on staying alive, not doing damage. Tanks worrying about dooing more damage is wrong, but still. Guardians do less tps than other tanks, and they do less dps. Do you see the connection ? Maybe, just maybe up the juggernaut/guardian tanks dps a bit to get it where other tanks dps is. Then maybe their tps will be where the other tanks tps are too.

_Darkstar
01.22.2013 , 09:59 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by gabarooni View Post
I love playing as a Tank but boy it kills my immersion when I have to beat on something for 5 minutes with my "Lightsaber" just to kill it. In Wotlk wow started letting Tanks do decent dmg on their own and it didn't ruin the game in anyway. Just made playing as a tank much more enjoyable. Please please purtty please.
Is this the WoW that has tanks topping the damage meters because the vengeance mechanic is stupid?

If you are to implement the trinity (A bad idea in my book, but that is what they have done) then you need to do it properly which means tanks don't do much damage, otherwise you have to balance that with DPS that can take a decent beating, which invalidates tanks in all but the hardest content and is back to square 1.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Sinnfein_Winters
01.22.2013 , 10:04 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
Do NOT take another page from Warcrap. This game needs to stop trying to copy that lousy game and become it's own game. No more wow-like additions. We don't need them.

On topic, I love how my Shadowtank does. She doesn't deal a ton of damage but deals enough. You are a tank, you take damage. That is your role. In FPs you should have two DPS and a healer. You don't need to deal a lot of damage. If you aren't in a group then use your DPS companion. You take the aggro and your companion beats on the guy.
I agree 100%. A Tanks job is to TAKE DAMAGE, not dish it out.
Shadowlords Empire
Guildmaster The Harbinger Arcane Legacy
"What the frak?"

Aries_cz
01.22.2013 , 11:08 AM | #24
I play my Powertech gal as tank spec (lvl 33, I avoid all missions but class storyline), and I somehow still manage to be in the "top 3" of WZ charts in damage 80_ of my games (and overall, but that is tanks (pun definitely intended) to damage protected/objectives ratings).

So, in short, tanks can do enough damage, if you know what are you doing, and if you use DPS companion.
Supreme Commander of all riots yet to come
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Phyltr
01.22.2013 , 12:22 PM | #25
Real dual-spec may resolve most conflicts in this thread. While in tank spec, the norm exists, change to DPS spec and do damages per second.

Grendelwolf
01.22.2013 , 06:19 PM | #26
To all those that say " Tanks are supposed to take damage and not dish it out" obviously never played any other MMO, or played a tank.

Tanking classes are supposed to dish out damage. If a person wields a 2 handed sword they are going to hit harder than a person wielding a one handed. But a person with a one handed sword will hit more times than a person with a 2 handed, hence the term DPS ( Damage per second) .

If my 2 handed LS crits for less than a person wielding 2 one handers there is a problem, especially since the off hand weapon does not crit as often as the main hand. DPS Classes are not supposed to see big crit numbers unless they are a glass cannon type class like Jedi Sages. DPS classes are supposed to hit more and crit more, not hit harder.
If my Jedi Guardian crits I am supposed to see big numbers and hit like a Mac Truck, but I don't.

To those that say " You have a companion and your supposed to tank everything while they cut them down". In a perfect world where my companion can DPS a mob down in a reasonable amount of time, does not grab agro from other mobs, or not bug out, etc it would be the right answer. But it's not what happens.

To those that say " This game should stay far away from WoW" well I hate to break it to ya, there are so many aspects of this game that are like WoW anyway, so get over it. As long as we have the trinity system, vanity pets, Legacy or " Heirloom " items, loot from bosses, PvP and PvP ranked gear, mounts, etc this game is just like WoW, and WoW is just like any other MMO that came out before it and after.

And to add insult to injury, WoW i has tons more subs. It is in the developers best interest to learn from it's predecessors successes and make it their own.
α╬G╬W██Φ██φ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

Garanaga
01.22.2013 , 07:10 PM | #27
no, no NO!!!

If they give tanks the ability to do just as much damage as a dps, then where does that leave the dps? That was one thing that pissed me off about WOTLK, because I was getting out-dpsed by the bloody tanks more often than anything, which is not supposed to happen if your primarily a dps. I actually gave up playing the game shortly after, and that was just one of the many MANY reasons I left.

Estriga
01.22.2013 , 08:10 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
Is this the WoW that has tanks topping the damage meters because the vengeance mechanic is stupid?
No, the idiotic vengeance mechanic came in with Cataclysm. The OP mentions Wrath of the Lich King, where tank damage was buffed in part so that prot warriors and paladins weren't miles away in DPS from Death Knights. It was a good move and alleviated the nightmare that was leveling as a tank spec.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithLordaeron View Post
With abilities like Divine Shield and Lay on Hands, pvp against a pally tank was like fighting a raid boss. It went something like this: damage paladin tank to near death, paladin tank bubbles and heals himself to full in 2-3 seconds, damage him to near death again, paladin tank casts Lay on Hands healing himself to full, damage him to near death again (while you are taking small amounts of damage constantly), paladins bubble comes off cooldown, he bubbles and heals himself to full in a few seconds, repeat ad nauseum. DK tanks were different but the same result.
You do know Blizzard has been continuously trolling paladins since The Burning Crusade, right? When people complained about Divine Shield, any paladin with sense told blizzard to remove it so that it would quiet down the complains and would give Blizzard a reason to make changes to pallys. Hell, most proponents for Ret being something more than a lolspec were in the forefront of that, because Blizzard refused to fix ret due to abilities like Lay On Hands and Divine Shield being baseline of the paladin class.

--------------------
Anyway, I in part agree with the OP. I think it is doable, but within reason. Just not to the extent of WoW's vengeance mechanic, and certainly not putting tanks on par with DPS specs.

AsheraII
01.22.2013 , 08:42 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Grendelwolf View Post
And to add insult to injury, WoW i has tons more subs. It is in the developers best interest to learn from it's predecessors successes and make it their own.
Well, WoW has been bleeding subs eversince they started making stupid decisions. It actually became a revolving door during TBC already, where every 2 new players saw at least 1 other player leave. Those numbers have changed places since then.
. . . . . . ¶▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##¯¯(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==¯¯¯¯¯|####/¯¯

DAWUSS
01.22.2013 , 09:59 PM | #30
Why not be a hybrid? Take some skills from the Tank tree and some from the DPS tree?