Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Take a page from WoW and let Tanks do some dmg.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Take a page from WoW and let Tanks do some dmg.

gabarooni
01.19.2013 , 06:53 PM | #1
I love playing as a Tank but boy it kills my immersion when I have to beat on something for 5 minutes with my "Lightsaber" just to kill it. In Wotlk wow started letting Tanks do decent dmg on their own and it didn't ruin the game in anyway. Just made playing as a tank much more enjoyable. Please please purtty please.
New Gear is the ONLY type of character progression at endgame. Raiders are not the only ones who want to continue to progress their toons throughout an expansion. Im a bad bad speller.

Jableson
01.19.2013 , 07:21 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by gabarooni View Post
I love playing as a Tank but boy it kills my immersion when I have to beat on something for 5 minutes with my "Lightsaber" just to kill it. In Wotlk wow started letting Tanks do decent dmg on their own and it didn't ruin the game in anyway. Just made playing as a tank much more enjoyable. Please please purtty please.
I support this 100%. Im trying to level a vanguard and in order to do FP's i have to be tank spec. (no thanks to no dual spec option). Out of all 12 of my alts, it is the most painful playing experience i've had in this game.

Royox
01.19.2013 , 07:59 PM | #3
THIS
IS
NOT
WOW

I love how my guardian does. I need more time to kill? Yes....but do I need to rest every combat? No. Can I pull more than 9 NPC?s withouth dying? Yes.

THIS
IS
NOT
WOW

Stop trying to transform this game into WoW.

Jableson
01.19.2013 , 09:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Royox View Post
THIS
IS
NOT
WOW

I love how my guardian does. I need more time to kill? Yes....but do I need to rest every combat? No. Can I pull more than 9 NPC?s withouth dying? Yes.

THIS
IS
NOT
WOW

Stop trying to transform this game into WoW.
stop confusing this game not being a WoW clone

Kilikaa
01.19.2013 , 09:46 PM | #5
Do NOT take another page from Warcrap. This game needs to stop trying to copy that lousy game and become it's own game. No more wow-like additions. We don't need them.

On topic, I love how my Shadowtank does. She doesn't deal a ton of damage but deals enough. You are a tank, you take damage. That is your role. In FPs you should have two DPS and a healer. You don't need to deal a lot of damage. If you aren't in a group then use your DPS companion. You take the aggro and your companion beats on the guy.

Phyltr
01.19.2013 , 10:37 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
[COLOR="Red"]Do NOT take another page from Warcrap. This game needs to stop trying to copy that lousy game and become it's own game. No more wow-like additions. We don't need them.
I can't understand this logic. "Hey, there is this one game that has been out for many years now and has had time to refine basic quality of life enhancements like dual-spec, group finder, and UI add-ons, but heaven forbid we use these basic quality of life additions because that other game did it first and then we'd be accused of trying to be like it.".

Have you ever seen the way someone setup their living room and said "hey, that's a good idea, I should do that.", or seen a co-workers commute to work that took less time and decided to follow the same path? Well following your logic you absolutely can't do that because you weren't the first one with that idea. The concept that if someone else did it that you are now banned from doing it is the most brain-dead thing I've heard in quite some time. Where would technology be today if people weren't embracing and enhancing things other people did?

Grendelwolf
01.20.2013 , 02:28 AM | #7
I don't know how we went from tanks hitting for crap damage to people flaming someone for comparing a MMO to another very, very successful MMO. If anything, ALL MMOs should take something from the success of other MMOs such as WoW and making it their own. After all, SW ToR has many things that WoW has already, such as WoW has many things that EQ has, and so on.

Anyway, I agree. ALL other MMOs tanks can put a punishing on mobs, yes they can't take them down as fast as other classes can, but they can take them down in a timely fashion. My Sage can AOE and take down 9 mobs in a third of the time it takes my Guardian to take down 9 mobs. And, my Sage only takes about 3-4 seconds of down time between pulls.

So, I can kill more mobs on my Sage than my Guardian can in quicker amount of time. Only thing my Guardian can do better than my Sage is solo SOME 1-2 Heroics, and that is about it.

It's very painful watching my Guardian pound on a single mob the same level, it takes to long.
α╬G╬W██Φ██φ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

AsheraII
01.20.2013 , 04:38 AM | #8
You are joking, right? Tanks and Healers in this game do relatively a lot of damage compared to a game like WoW. But not only that. Somehow, the developers also managed to make tanking and healing actually FUN in this game, which is something Activision never really managed. The few methods of tanking and healing that were actually somewhat fun to do were nerfed into oblivion there, for "fear that too many people would flock to those specs and the other specs would not be used anymore". Odd reason huh? They've given the exact same reason for some other class/spec combination, and simply said they didn't want to bring them on par with other specs because it was too much fun..
I hated both tanking and healing in WoW, while I'm actually enjoying it here!

Yes, you deal a little less damage still than true DPS specs as a tank, and a healer won't be able to top the DPS charts AND keep everybody topped up at the same time. But both have been designed to do their share of damage, and both deliver on that.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

oscardeleon
01.20.2013 , 04:50 AM | #9
I find that both my Guardian and Juggernaut are superb tanks. They can stand and fight for a long time and deal enough damage to down many large mobs, even when I've been careless enough to pull two or three mobs. Some times I've been amazed how much they can withstand even when the health bar is all but gone.

I only played a tank for a few levels in WoW, I preferred the Hunter char, but I've had better success here in the tank role (solo or in groups).
[Something about duct tape and the Force here]

Brimmer
01.20.2013 , 04:59 AM | #10
The classes are fine, I play multiple healers tanks and dps classes. All of them can play perfectly fine. Use a DPS companion for a change and it makes up for your lower offence, while your outstanding defense keeps you alive.

As for PVP, you can be rather OP when played correctly as a tank or healer. Reminder PVP is a team work environment, so don't expect to do crazy good solo against a group. After all we don't have a team death match, mindless killing isn't a theme in swtor.
Check out the spoilers for a good way to earn credits!
Spoiler