Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people give so much hate?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why do people give so much hate?

Devlonir
01.18.2013 , 08:00 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Glided View Post
Like, I was talking to my friends and I told them I picked up SWTOR and they just laughed at me.
Quick question for OP: Have any of those friends actually played SWTOR?
Because if not, they are just tools and trolls and you are honestly better off finding friends that have opinions of their own ;-)

TOR forums: great place to get life advice!
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

Brimmer
01.18.2013 , 08:02 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Glided View Post
Hello, i'm new here and this is my first thread ever. I gave it some thought about what I wanted to make m first thread about and I have decided that I really wanted to know why people regard this game as trash. It takes time for an MMO to gain momentum. this game has been out for a year now, we are just getting started

Like, I was talking to my friends and I told them I picked up SWTOR and they just laughed at me. To be honest I have had more fun in this game than 3 years of WOW. So what do you guys think?

Why do people hate this game so much?
Reason: EA

Poor Bioware, it used to be such a nice company.
Check out the spoilers for a good way to earn credits!
Spoiler

Alec_Fortescue
01.18.2013 , 08:10 AM | #23
There is a lot of hate and it's understandable.

Game is based on the most popular franchise in the world.

It is the most expensive video game ever made and yet it struggles to compete with a game it copied in almost every single aspect, from classes to mechanics.

For such an expensive game, the optimization is awful and it is comparable with garage games like Mount and Blade.

There was a lot of hype. Lots of promises in advertising and many of those things were not delivered. Even post-release advertisements videos.

Game was released too early and lacked a lot of polish. Many players from the past year did feel like beta testers who still had to pay for the game to play. Cannot blame them, game does feel like a beta at many times.

Poor post-release support. No promised content (Legacy, apperance tweaks, crafting, poor class-balances) and important bug fixing.

Most hate, imo, comes from the extremely high expectations. And those expectations were justified.
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

Thundergulch
01.18.2013 , 08:10 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by sharpenedstick View Post
1) Pre-launch hype was crazy. There was talk that this would be a WoW killer, when it was really just a circa-2008 WoW clone.
This was all from Star Wars fans and fansites. I don't recall the devs ever saying this would be a wow killer.
Hating this game because the fans hyped it up so much is kind of.....stupid.

SNCommand
01.18.2013 , 08:12 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Thundergulch View Post
This was all from Star Wars fans and fansites. I don't recall the devs ever saying this would be a wow killer.
Hey, don't demean the #1 pass time of the gaming community
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Alec_Fortescue
01.18.2013 , 08:12 AM | #26
Developer dispatches were full of hype and excitement about TOR being something so much different. I still remember when they speak of the combat in mmos not being so heroic, when a group of heroes is bashing a single boss. And yet TOR does the same, even though they said they want it to be different.
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

Thundergulch
01.18.2013 , 08:13 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by SNCommand View Post
Hey, don't demean the #1 pass time of the gaming community
lol sorry man.

Thundergulch
01.18.2013 , 08:14 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Alec_Fortescue View Post
Developer dispatches were full of hype and excitement about TOR being something so much different. I still remember when they speak of the combat in mmos not being so heroic, when a group of heroes is bashing a single boss. And yet TOR does the same, even though they said they want it to be different.
True, they did hype their own game as well, all game devs do this, but fans and fansites always seem to take it to a different level, and this is how expectations get too high.
I couldn't care less about wow....I don't care if this game or any other game surpasses it, as long as I like playing it. And I like this game.

Devlonir
01.18.2013 , 08:17 AM | #29
Ironically.. you could have seen it coming considering the Star Wars fanbase and it's history.

Almost everything Star Wars related since the original movies has been hyped up like crazy by fans beforehand and then bashed to the ground because it did not live up to whatever expectation a certain part of that fanbase had.

I always see this fanbase as a double edged sword really.. it can be an example to fandoms of other franchises, but it can also be very childish and self destructive.
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

Thundergulch
01.18.2013 , 08:17 AM | #30
Agreed.