Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people give so much hate?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why do people give so much hate?

Glided
01.18.2013 , 12:11 AM | #1
Hello, i'm new here and this is my first thread ever. I gave it some thought about what I wanted to make m first thread about and I have decided that I really wanted to know why people regard this game as trash. It takes time for an MMO to gain momentum. this game has been out for a year now, we are just getting started

Like, I was talking to my friends and I told them I picked up SWTOR and they just laughed at me. To be honest I have had more fun in this game than 3 years of WOW. So what do you guys think?

Why do people hate this game so much?

Ignicity
01.18.2013 , 12:28 AM | #2
There are already long laundry lists of reasons on the forums already, use the search function to find them.

But here are some off the top of my head:

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of communication from community representatives/developers.

Lack of bug fixes

Space shooter on rails

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of chat bubbles

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of Open World PVP

Lack of bug fixes

Lack of a continuation of Class Stories in the lolexpansion DLC that should be a free content update to subscribers

Lack of bug fixes

chuixupu
01.18.2013 , 12:32 AM | #3
WoW forums are full of haters too. Just for a different set of reasons.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Daynja
01.18.2013 , 12:45 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Glided View Post
Hello, i'm new here and this is my first thread ever. I gave it some thought about what I wanted to make m first thread about and I have decided that I really wanted to know why people regard this game as trash. It takes time for an MMO to gain momentum. this game has been out for a year now, we are just getting started

Like, I was talking to my friends and I told them I picked up SWTOR and they just laughed at me. To be honest I have had more fun in this game than 3 years of WOW. So what do you guys think?

Its an unfortunate thing to see anger on a game forum. In a few cases BW have caused the issue themselves and not forgetting the very large staff reduction of the TOR team earlier in 2012 started by EA which has reduced the customer service team to a ridiculous service level has not helped the frustration one bit and i feel for anyone that has to endure the CS Dept. because of a game and or account issue.
However i urge you to find a good guild on your server that also enjoys the game like you do despite some of its issues. You will look past the things that are "hated" on and enjoy the game with like minded players.

Also two of the most popular TOR based pod casts can help you enjoy the game further. They are hosted by players that love the game too. Check out Corellian Run Radio and TORWars.

Kayin
01.18.2013 , 06:01 AM | #5
It is simple really... Dark side is extremely strong with SWTOR players.
The instrument of domination

_Darkstar
01.18.2013 , 06:05 AM | #6
It is entirely a generational thing, you see it in every game these days and you never used to see it, and it is nothing to do with bugs because bugs happened in the old games too.

I guess people are just so expectant these days, they never get told they are failures so they don't understand why other people make mistakes and that together with the anonymity of the internet makes them feel like they can vent their pent up rage (Which is usually about themselves).
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Arutar
01.18.2013 , 06:05 AM | #7
1. Most dont.
2. This is the internet.
3. Do not be mistaken and take the (vocal) majority in game forums as the majority of the player of said game. This goes for any game, not just SWTOR. Peole who are happy with the game usually usually simple play instead of writing comments.

anstalt
01.18.2013 , 06:14 AM | #8
People don't hate the game that much.

What happened is that pre-launch this game was hyped up massively. We got tons of developer diaries and videos telling us how epic this game was going to be, how different it was going to be to WoW. It was being made by Bioware (widely respected story tellers) alongside a load of PvP devs who'd come from Mythic, i.e. they'd worked on Dark Age of Camelot (widely respected as having the best open world pvp) and Warhammer Online.

Then the game came out.

The game could not live up to the hype generated by the devs. The story telling was extremely weak, the pvp was bland and broken, the classes were boring, the worlds were linear..... As a result, the community, myself included, got angry. We'd been sold a lie.

The game itself is actually a solid game, relatively bug-free in comparison to many others, lots of endgame content, pvp is relatively balanced (in comparison to other mmos, i know there are a lot of fixes needed). However, there is nothing unique here and it is certainly not the game we were promised. So, most sensible people quit the game when they realised that they'd been lied to. Some people didn't care about the lies and are happy in WoW with a Star Wars skin. Others, like me, remain believers in the potential of TOR and thus come on the forums on a regular basis and "offer suggestions" on how to improve the game, but this often comes across as ranting
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

Kayin
01.18.2013 , 06:16 AM | #9
Those who have something to rage about write it out to the forums, but those who are happy are quiet. I don't think the haters are the majority, but they are the loudest.
The instrument of domination

Manifoldgodhead
01.18.2013 , 06:51 AM | #10
Three real reasons:

1) Why play a new game where I have to deal with bugs and unbalanced content when I can play WoW that after all these years runs like a well oiled machine constantly pumping out content that newer games can barely even comprehend.

2) A vocal minority seemed to think this game was going to be SWG-2 aka a Sandbox style game. So basically they held this game to a higher standard than other theme park style games. A great example of this is the Space Combat. Its an entire N64 level mini-game comparative to Star Fox 64. Its a totally unique feature that is over and beyond what is expected from a theme park. But people for some absurd reason expect another entire AAA game inside of their multi-million dollar MMO which is retarded.

3) The insanely high quality of the original content has painted the devs into a hole since they don't want to release new content that is not up to that standard, but they didn't make enough money on the release to justify investing more money into making content of that quality. Even though they sold 2+ million copies of the game they still went in the hole since the content, though excellent, plays too much like a single player game. Thus people play it like a single player game ie they spend a month or so finishing 1-2 story lines then move on.