Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Expanding the companion storyline...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Expanding the companion storyline...

SithKoriandr
01.17.2013 , 04:24 PM | #1
...so there I was watching the new episode of Criminal Minds last night and I was brought to tears!

And today talking about the show, it had me thinking, why not expand on the storyline of character with losing your romance!

It was heartbreaking but it shows you just how into it you are! Make Chapter 5 the death of your romance option and it can have an NPC you pick up along the way as you seek justice/revenge of the same spec!

This would have the added bonus of changing the crews up a bit more amongst the players! Some would lose a male companion some would lose a female companion, and then replace them with a new one (whether they should be romancable or not, I'm not sure, possibly so people don't go "Now Im single! Noooo!"), but for those actually into the storyline, this could be that heart breaking moment and then a storyline of seeking justice/revenge, I think it would be a great next chapter!

bright_ephemera
01.18.2013 , 03:26 AM | #2
I would LOVE to watch Corso and/or Quinn die.

*cough* I mean, yeah, that could be an interesting and tragic occurrence. But I think it'd be better suited to a single-player game, something where the revenge and resolution will happen and be over within another 20 hours; perma-losing your MMO companion, especially one you're emotionally invested in, would be extremely, extremely harsh.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

SithKoriandr
01.18.2013 , 03:49 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
I would LOVE to watch Corso and/or Quinn die.

*cough* I mean, yeah, that could be an interesting and tragic occurrence. But I think it'd be better suited to a single-player game, something where the revenge and resolution will happen and be over within another 20 hours; perma-losing your MMO companion, especially one you're emotionally invested in, would be extremely, extremely harsh.
Well I did say you replace them with another of the same spec. And the losing of someone you have that emotiona investment in, is what I thought would make the story so much better

If the storyline has you lose the character your character isnt interrested in (lets go with Skadge as he seems to be unpopular enough) then it's good riddace.

Now, lose you love interrest, and it becomes shocking, jaw dropping, tear inducing, and you will want revenge/justice. It makes for the better storyline.

_biddan_
01.18.2013 , 05:50 AM | #4
if they kill my vette i'm out
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Caesar Legacy
Legacy lvl 50

_Darkstar
01.18.2013 , 05:57 AM | #5
This would be a good thing and a bad thing. As the person above to eloquently put it, some companions make the story so much more enjoyable that you wouldn't want to play without them. But I do see the appeal of a tragic twist and on my 3 toons I would lose Andronikous, Torian and probably Kaliyo (Undecided) so wouldn't be bothered at all!

Sadly even if this got as far as a beta implementation it would be changed in the same way that we can no longer kill companions when we meet them, or how SW's who never become Darth's can call themselves Darth.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Oxades
01.18.2013 , 01:06 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Well I did say you replace them with another of the same spec. And the losing of someone you have that emotiona investment in, is what I thought would make the story so much better

If the storyline has you lose the character your character isnt interrested in (lets go with Skadge as he seems to be unpopular enough) then it's good riddace.

Now, lose you love interrest, and it becomes shocking, jaw dropping, tear inducing, and you will want revenge/justice. It makes for the better storyline.
IMO, if that killed every classes “love interest” it would lose the shocking, jaw dropping, tear inducing moment that you trying to create. Also now every classes is in a revenge/justice story and the class stories have lost the distinctness that make you want to play it. However if it was only one class then I think it would have that shocking, jaw dropping, tear inducing moment and a good revenge/justice story without being overdone.

I just hope it’s not the sith warrior because dark side or light side, Vette, Jaesa or Quinn I think that a story where a Darth lord has to deal with the ups and downs of a relationship could be more interesting than a revenge one.

Wolfninjajedi
01.18.2013 , 01:23 PM | #7
I could see the love interest being captured or something, but killed? Ya no, wouldn't want that at all...them getting captured though and you having to go rescue them sounds good.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Phyreblade
01.18.2013 , 06:49 PM | #8
No.

No.

No.

Did I mention, no?
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel, Sawbones Scoundrel on the Shadowlands Server

Revanchis
01.19.2013 , 08:07 AM | #9
I agree with the negative sentiment. It would work much better with a more contained single player game, kind of like what they did in DA2.

Artanisia
01.19.2013 , 08:25 AM | #10
While certainly interesting in theory, if I would lose a love interest for real ingame? My reaction would be something like this:
I would get really, really angry, especially if it is a turn of events that couldn't be avoided.