Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to pronounce "Shiro" =P

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > Dalborra
How to pronounce "Shiro" =P

Rorkiy
01.15.2013 , 07:07 PM | #1
Okay, so basically as the title says, this is about how to pronounce "Shiro" properly if I'm in voice or anything.
Too many times have I heard people say it as "Shy-ro" *cough* Terra Australus people *cough* =P

It is in fact, pronounced like "She-ro" 'cause it is a Japanese word =P
If needed, you can always ask me to pronounce it for you

EDIT: it should be in fact "She-loh" in Japanese but I'm making it easier for you
Rorkiy - Guardian; Shiroyasha - Shadow; Rorkiys - Sentinel; Rorkies - Scoundrel
The Ecihos Legacy
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

kharathos
01.15.2013 , 08:21 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Rorkiy View Post
Okay, so basically as the title says, this is about how to pronounce "Shiro" properly if I'm in voice or anything.
Too many times have I heard people say it as "Shy-ro" *cough* Terra Australus people *cough* =P

It is in fact, pronounced like "She-ro" 'cause it is a Japanese word =P
If needed, you can always ask me to pronounce it for you

EDIT: it should be in fact "She-loh" in Japanese but I'm making it easier for you
Well I know it's not me your talking about, I pronounce it correctly all the time which you actually commented on I remember first time we TS'ed.

As for the pronunciation of Shiro, I thought the correct way to pronounce it is actually "Shee-Roh" (The way I pronounce it) which translates to the color white?

And yes my fellow Terra Australis brothers and sisters do have problems pronouncing words correctly. Hell look how they pronounce Syndell. They pronounce it "Sin-Dill" rather then "Sin-dell".

Or pronounce Aethyta as "A-tia" or "A-thia" rather then Ah-thee-ta".

But then I am just as bad as I pronounce Xibonn as Xi-bon where the rest of the team pronounce it as X-cibon. I have yet to hear which way is the correct way.

Vindrik
01.15.2013 , 08:23 PM | #3
You were right the first time. The Japanese language doesn't have an 'l' in it, so it's an r sound, just a soft r instead of a hard r like in English.

Huzzah for nitpicking!

Rorkiy
01.15.2013 , 08:26 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by kharathos View Post
Well I know it's not me your talking about, I pronounce it correctly all the time which you actually commented on I remember first time we TS'ed.

As for the pronunciation of Shiro, I thought the correct way to pronounce it is actually "Shee-Roh" (The way I pronounce it) which translates to the color white?

And yes my fellow Terra Australis brothers and sisters do have problems pronouncing words correctly. Hell look how they pronounce Syndell. They pronounce it "Sin-Dill" rather then "Sin-dell".

Or pronounce Aethyta as "A-tia" or "A-thia" rather then Ah-thee-ta".

But then I am just as bad as I pronounce Xibonn as Xi-bon where the rest of the team pronounce it as X-cibon. I have yet to hear which way is the correct way.
I just forgot to add the "h" at the end =P
I don't really mind if you make the "She" part a bit longer to enunciate
And yes, "Shiro" means white while "yasha" means demon haha, just took it from the anime/manga Gintama =P
The Ecihos Legacy

Rorkiy
01.15.2013 , 08:28 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Vindrik View Post
You were right the first time. The Japanese language doesn't have an 'l' in it, so it's an r sound, just a soft r instead of a hard r like in English.

Huzzah for nitpicking!
Most peeps don't know that I think so I just spelled it out as an "l" instead =P
The Ecihos Legacy

kharathos
01.15.2013 , 09:11 PM | #6
Fantastic public service announcement too Shiro by the way!!

Rorkiy
01.15.2013 , 09:41 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by kharathos View Post
Fantastic public service announcement too Shiro by the way!!
Just getting slightly tired of people mispronouncing it haha
The Ecihos Legacy

NotRonin
01.15.2013 , 10:04 PM | #8
Since Shiro wants proper Japanese pronunciation, you should add the proper Japanese honorific and add 'chan' at the end. Show your respect by using 'She-roh-chan'!! (disclaimer : use at your own risk, not responsible for what will happen to you afterward)

kharathos
01.15.2013 , 11:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by NotRonin View Post
Since Shiro wants proper Japanese pronunciation, you should add the proper Japanese honorific and add 'chan' at the end. Show your respect by using 'She-roh-chan'!! (disclaimer : use at your own risk, not responsible for what will happen to you afterward)
I see what you did there!!

BattleGracefully
01.16.2013 , 12:44 AM | #10
i feel ya pain here shrio i feel it indeed, i get alot saying my name wrong too ( K-eye-ga instead of key-ga) it's frustrating as hell
Keiga - Guardian
Licani - Sentinel
Millianna - Vanguard