Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"Server Lag" Problems for the first time

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
"Server Lag" Problems for the first time

Vailence
01.03.2013 , 11:45 AM | #1
Hello,

So just the other day i've been getting major lag spikes. Normal Server is 45ms, and then it jumps to 1500ms for about 30 seconds. This repeats itself every minute or so. It makes the game unplayable for the most part. My internet doesn't have any problems with it as everything else online works fine. It's only this game.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Should I repair the game or something? Any idea why it does this? I tested internet and everything many times, ran straight through modem and all, its just this game. I've been playing for a year without problems, but the other day it started up.

Also, this problem is game wide, not just PvP.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Vailence
01.03.2013 , 11:58 AM | #2
Well, I did a Traceroute to www.swtor.com and found out that the last hop, IP 24.244.28.32 (same as the one that the Traceroute runs to, So maybe EA's?) was coming back with the high lags. All my ISP and other network things are less than 16ms, then the last hop or whatever it is came back at 1000ms.

I'm inexperienced in this, but would it make sense that this is EA's problem and not mine?

JustARandomGuy
01.03.2013 , 12:05 PM | #3
Not necessarily BioWare's fault.

I've just put that IP address through a tracker, and it comes up with a place in Canada.

Also, I believe that the IP address for the Bioware servers usually has something similar to 159.153.xx.xx. as an IP address, so this may be down to the way your ISP routes the connection to the BioWare servers.

I'd say a way to check is to post your pathping and traceroute files on the Forums here and see if any one else can help.

Hope this helps!

‘Little minds are tamed and subdued by misfortune, but greater minds rise above them’
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Vailence
01.03.2013 , 12:18 PM | #4
Yea I'm from Canada. So I've just been running traceroutes for the last few minutes. And one came up with a problem on the first hop to my ISP. I took a screenshot of all my traceroutes during the past few minutes. Now it could just very well be my ISP. The real problem is that I Have no idea how to analyze it haha. Is it safe for me to post the picture of my screen shot? How do I do that too?

Thanks. This is just really frustrating.