Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why wait for open world PVP to get awesome?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why wait for open world PVP to get awesome?

OrionSol
01.04.2013 , 10:44 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Eurynamous View Post
If anyone needs to measure open world pvp and valor gains, arrange another event and before the battle starts, screenshot your valor, then screenshot it after the battle. Get most of the event players involved.

To me, the whole point of this thread is that you can make open pvp happen anywhere for fun, not rewards. You don't need bioware to create a special place for it, though it would be nice to have something with objectives and not just a deathmatch.
For fun... not rewards
Or-ion Sol
Founder of THE JEDl ORDER (Guild Website)
"As I was, I am, I will..."

bassfu
01.04.2013 , 10:59 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
There's not that many of you fighting there, but I must say the engine seems to be handling things better there than it used to do.
He's also probably running FRAPs which can usher a blow to game performance.

OrionSol
01.05.2013 , 06:41 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by bassfu View Post
He's also probably running FRAPs which can usher a blow to game performance.
slows me a little, but not much. I was more focused on giving battle directions that fighting.
Or-ion Sol

fluttersniper
01.05.2013 , 07:16 PM | #14
World PVP has always been what you make of it, not the developers. Anyone remember the ridiculously epic battles in Hillsbrad foothills in wow? That was insane fun, and your only reward was +1 honor per kill. The reward was the random excitement .

OrionSol
01.07.2013 , 07:06 AM | #15
agreed
Or-ion Sol

Fornix
01.07.2013 , 07:19 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by fluttersniper View Post
World PVP has always been what you make of it, not the developers. Anyone remember the ridiculously epic battles in Hillsbrad foothills in wow? That was insane fun, and your only reward was +1 honor per kill. The reward was the random excitement .
Unfortunately those days have long passed, too many players these days need incentives to fight. And as such, we get to see all sort of ridiculous designs with maps filled with castles, forts, etc in which "PvP-players" more and more even start to actually avoid other players, zerging empty castles, in order to get their hands on the tokens.

In the end, I expect little more of world PvP in SWTOR. Hopefully they'll keep it small and packed so people can't avoid the encounters that much. But most probably we'll be seeing high level of rewards and if not, dead areas with no participants.
Member of <Helix>

Goretzu
01.07.2013 , 08:47 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
Unfortunately those days have long passed, too many players these days need incentives to fight. And as such, we get to see all sort of ridiculous designs with maps filled with castles, forts, etc in which "PvP-players" more and more even start to actually avoid other players, zerging empty castles, in order to get their hands on the tokens.

In the end, I expect little more of world PvP in SWTOR. Hopefully they'll keep it small and packed so people can't avoid the encounters that much. But most probably we'll be seeing high level of rewards and if not, dead areas with no participants.
People use to fight in the Hillsbrad Foothills because it was the closest two respawn points allowing you to farm honour.

Until the honour system went in it was a rare fight there, once the honour system went in there was massive fights there until warzones went in.

If you're looking for rewardless PvP you've got to go back to SWG, Everquest 1 or UO really.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

rob_y
01.07.2013 , 08:52 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
If you're looking for rewardless PvP you've got to go back to SWG, Everquest 1 or UO really.
In UO, I used to PvP for the small chance of looting a corpse with a recall rune and house key on it.
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five

Goretzu
01.07.2013 , 09:07 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by rob_y View Post
In UO, I used to PvP for the small chance of looting a corpse with a recall rune and house key on it.
Yeah in fairness on the full loot servers in EQ1 you had that, until everyone went to full NO DROP gear anyway.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

OrionSol
01.19.2013 , 09:25 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by rob_y View Post
in uo, i used to pvp for the small chance of looting a corpse with a recall rune and house key on it.
pk ftw?
Or-ion Sol