Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it worth buying Cartel Items?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is it worth buying Cartel Items?

SoSickMinded
12.31.2012 , 02:42 PM | #1
I am just a bit curious about Cartel items... I'm new to the game, but after buying several packs, I've noticed I get nothing good and the few usable items are nearly worthless in the GTN.

So, is it worth buying Cartel Coins or should I just use credits to buy cartel items?

JPLaro
12.31.2012 , 02:45 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by SoSickMinded View Post
I am just a bit curious about Cartel items... I'm new to the game, but after buying several packs, I've noticed I get nothing good and the few usable items are nearly worthless in the GTN.

So, is it worth buying Cartel Coins or should I just use credits to buy cartel items?
Use credits.

I spent over 200$ on packs so far and the only decent thing I got is a crystal that sells around 300k on GTN.

The packs are a scam.

If you want to make credits fast, you can buy pack and then sell it on GTN for about 300k.

If you don't want to grind credits in game and do not mind paying a little, you can make a fortune selling packs.

Let me know if you have more questions.

SoSickMinded
12.31.2012 , 02:53 PM | #3
The thing is, I bought 3 packs and only got about 100k worth of items out of all 3... Considering I could make credits fairly easily through crew skills, I guess I'll just stick to buying items with credits.

Thanks for the advice and your experience with the matter.

Wraithe_Oza
12.31.2012 , 02:58 PM | #4
I stopped buying the lotto packs. As I have a stupid amount of disposable income, I have bought a good fair share. What I noticed as on both packs release, for the first few days it was REALLY easy to get alot of the more desirable things. The purple weapons, the crystals of all colors, and the rarer armor drops.

I waited for awhile after this last pack was dropped on us. I bought a very generous share of both the major packs. All that I got worth anything was 1 blue crysal, 1 purple crysal, and the Ziost Hilt/Saber. Everything else was literally trash. I wasnt even getting any pets, common or otherwise. (I've done this on two seperate occasions)

I don't think it's bad luck. The sheer amount I've bought tells me the odds were in my favor to a degree. I should have gotten a BIT more of the rare items. I think that (here comes the conspiracy theory) after an alloted amount of time 'they' go back in and readjust the percentage drop rate of the rares and super rares. If you think about it, really think about it, it does make sense to do so business wise to make more money. When the pack drops initally, it's easier. They go in later and fiddle with the numbers after we all had a taste of success. Then we frustratingly go back two weeks later and get noting but emotes, a glut of toys and ultimately trash.

It wouldn't be so bad if we could just vendor ALL of it, not just a few things.

So, for tl;dr, buy lotto packs when they first drop on us, but otherwise save your coins for the real gear and unlocks and such. Big time IMO here. Okay?

AsheraII
12.31.2012 , 03:00 PM | #5
If you want to make credits from your Cartel Coins, then get the cheapest unlocks, like Title Display and Companion Customization, and sell those instead. Otherwise, save your coins for specific items from the store you're interrested in (additional cargo bays for your whole account is a good one, especially if you simply buy them all at once). Or just because you like to gamble for some specific items from one of the packs (but that's gonna cost you a LOT).
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

itsmymillertime
12.31.2012 , 03:09 PM | #6
The point of the cartel packs is not to turn them into credits, its for chance at some cool stuff.

Phyreblade
12.31.2012 , 03:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SoSickMinded View Post

I use my coins to purchase fluff equipment to make my characters look nifty. So I don't really do much with the packs. If there's something that drops from the packs I may be interested in purchasing, I wait till I see it on the GTN and pick it up that way, rather.

As I've noticed, when it comes to the packs, you're usually going to see the best / highest prices on the GTN in the immediacy of a pack's release. You know, when some such pet or piece of equipment is still fairly hard to come by. Given a week or so, the prices start to drop as more people buy packs and get various items from them. You know, supply goes up so the prices go down, basically.

So if you're looking to make money from the packs, now's a bad time. Most of the stuff's been out for a bit now. Wait for a new pack, rather. Otherwise, save your coins.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel, Sawbones Scoundrel on the Shadowlands Server

Mathaleus
12.31.2012 , 03:24 PM | #8
I usually just use my Cartel Coins to unlock legacy stuff. Like the Rocket Boost and crafting Crit Chance. Exp bonus...things like that. I just buy the 'cool stuff' off GTN or guildies.

AsheraII
12.31.2012 , 03:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Phyreblade View Post
As I've noticed, when it comes to the packs, you're usually going to see the best / highest prices on the GTN in the immediacy of a pack's release. You know, when some such pet or piece of equipment is still fairly hard to come by. Given a week or so, the prices start to drop as more people buy packs and get various items from them. You know, supply goes up so the prices go down, basically.
It's a matter of hours really. I know I got one of those assault cannons from the blockade pack right when the Blockade pack was released, and put it on GTN the minute it's bind timer ran out for 300k. It sold before I could even turn away from the GTN. 2 hours later, there were several available, in the price range of 175k-200k. Right now, those things peak at just over 100k. So you'd have to be one of the first ~5 people to list one to get a really good price.
The only exception to that is the special mounts, like the meditation chairs and thrones. Those fluctuate heavily in their value. One day they can be as low as 2 million, the next day they all have a price tag around 13 million. And a few days later, they seem to settle around 2 million again. I figure between 2 and 3 million is their usual price though, and that the one day high was from some players who thought they could take control of the chair market. Ha, fat chance.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

SoSickMinded
12.31.2012 , 03:47 PM | #10
I don't care about making credits from makes, I was just wondering if I should even bother buying the packs to get the stuff I want or just use my credits and buy the crystals and stuff I want.