Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Forget about new classes . . .

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Forget about new classes . . .

MitchPB
12.31.2012 , 07:09 AM | #11
I always thought it could be cool to swap up weapons among the AC's like Marauders using double-blades and Mercs using assault cannons.
<BOG>
<The Ex-Dalborran Elitists>

Vinjar
12.31.2012 , 07:12 AM | #12
Great post! Your Squad Leader sounds like he would play a lot like the SL from SWG.

Kissakias
12.31.2012 , 07:31 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Aelther View Post
If he's using melee weapons then how come he's a ranger?
just like the vanguard use rifles and is melee
LIKE A-Tab - Dye system (not SWTOR's)- Decorating - All items tradeable- full Cross faction chat/trade
HATE AC change - Gear Score - SWG BH system - Biolink on PickUp

bahdasz
12.31.2012 , 07:51 AM | #14
They can barey come up with enough skills to fill all the trees for all the basic and advanced classes as it is. PvP is imbalanced, probably inrreparably, and all the imp and rep classes mirror each other any way. They're probably stretching the limit introducing "new skills" with Makeb's ridiculous level cap increase, and we don't have any idea what their awsome/suck ratio is going to be yet.

Improved gameplay (bug fixes), addtional species, extended quest lines and a lot more playable content.... that's what we need, not new classes/advanced classes/skill trees in the existion advance classes.

Cleet_Xia
12.31.2012 , 12:55 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by AsheraII View Post
I'd actually suggest giving the Squad Leader a sniper rifle, which would make some sense, so he could be a few meters behind his troops giving orders and have a better overview of what's happening.
I'd like to see an Imperial autocannon user as well, so I agree on the Ranger.
These two weapons are simply too much under-used by players. It's even pointless for Armstechers to make them, unless they are of the specific class that uses them.
My first thought was , "SNIPER RIFLE !!" too - but a pistol is an officer's weapon so it feels like a better fit. They can replace the stock strike animation with the smuggler pistol whip , and it would be GTG. And the "officer" AC would actually fit the trooper class story better. There are cutscenes everywhere showing the trooper toon with a side arm - that you're not carrying. Give the AC another heal spec, a buff spec, and a grenadier dps spec.

The auto cannon just screams BH though. I understand that each faction got 1 unique main hand and off hand weapon. But who cares really? I don't even play Imp side, and I wouldn't mind if Imps got autocannons. There are mobs all over the game that sport them. It would be cool. give them a tank spec, a debuff spec, and dps spec.

Yes I realize those specs are just oposit - but that's the fastest way to add some real flavor. Make these 2 balance each other, and be the most effective way to combat the other.

I really like the idea of melee weapon AC for Trooper/ BH - but I don't see how they could do that when the base class abilities involve blaster fire.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

TheNahash
12.31.2012 , 01:15 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by nocaps View Post
New Advanced Classes added to the current 8 classes wouldn't need new Class Stories, they'd go through the same ones the other 2 Advanced Classes share.
Good idea, except

a) They'd have to allow people to move freely between advanced classes whenever they want - which I'm pretty sure they really don't want.
b) They'd face a storm of complaints from people calling them too lazy or too cheap to create new class stories.
c) If they didn't allow advanced class respec and decided that they'd just have to live with all the QQing, there would have to be an option to get an insta-55 character - because, let's face it, no matter how much fun leveling is, no one really wants to go through the grind again and again.

But most importantly, they'd be giving up their biggest asset: class stories.
It's the single most important thing in Swtor and what sets it apart from other MMOs. Without them, Swtor just isn't Swtor. And quite a lot of people would rather wait for a proper class with a new story than simply get the animations of other classes on their own class.

I still think that new classes are very much a probability and the best way to move forward. A solution like the one you're proposing might've worked for a less story-based MMO, but it's not for Swtor...

Of course, I'm not expecting 3-4 new classes. When the proper expansion comes, it will be 1 or 2 classes tops.

Moonraker
12.31.2012 , 01:19 PM | #17
All "New Classes" threads eventually concede that getting new classes in the game is a pipe dream because of the monumental amount of work it would take to script and voice entirely new Class Stories, but there is still a chance to see new "classes" . . . Advanced Classes!

New Advanced Classes added to the current 8 classes wouldn't need new Class Stories, they'd go through the same ones the other 2 Advanced Classes share.

So, here's my ideas . . .

Jedi Avenger - a Double Bladed Sabre using Jedi Knight ... Medium Armor tank and dps trees.
Sith Destroyer - a Double Bladed Sabre using Sith Warrior ... Medium Armor tank and dps trees.
Jedi Archon - a Dual Wielding Jedi Consular ... Light Armor heal and dps trees.
Sith Harbinger - a Dual Wielding Sith Inquisitor ... Light Armor heal and dps trees.
Squad Leader - a pistol using Trooper ... Heavy Armor heal and dps trees.
Ranger - a rifle using Bounty Hunter ... Heavy Armor tank and dps trees.
Scout - a rifle using Smuggler ... Medium Armor tank and dps trees.
Fixer - a pistol using Imperial Agent ... Medium Armor heal and dps trees.

EDIT: my post isn't so much about actual new advanced class ideas so much as it's about "how do we get new classes introduced" . . . anyways made a couple tweaks to my ideas.
excellent idea man, I mean this has got to be the best post on this site all year seriously i am on board with this idea, because if they do not introduce new classes/new advanced classes, this game will eventually fall beyond what is has now because it is getting very stale to me as it is, I have actually moved on to another game because the grind for gear is old. Thats all there is to do now.
May the Force Be With You

Scathe
12.31.2012 , 01:42 PM | #18
All "New Classes" threads eventually concede that getting new classes in the game is a pipe dream because of the monumental amount of work it would take to script and voice entirely new Class Stories, but there is still a chance to see new "classes" . . . Advanced Classes!

So, here's my ideas . . .

Jedi Avenger - a Double Bladed Sabre using Jedi Knight ... Medium Armor tank and dps trees.
Sith Destroyer - a Double Bladed Sabre using Sith Warrior ... Medium Armor tank and dps trees.
Jedi Archon - a Dual Wielding Jedi Consular ... Light Armor heal and dps trees.
Sith Harbinger - a Dual Wielding Sith Inquisitor ... Light Armor heal and dps trees.
Squad Leader - a pistol using Trooper ... Heavy Armor heal and dps trees.
Ranger - a rifle using Bounty Hunter ... Heavy Armor tank and dps trees.
Scout - a rifle using Smuggler ... Medium Armor tank and dps trees.
Fixer - a pistol using Imperial Agent ... Medium Armor heal and dps trees.

EDIT: my post isn't so much about actual new advanced class ideas so much as it's about "how do we get new classes introduced" . . . anyways made a couple tweaks to my ideas.
As someone else pointed out, while this is a cool idea, no one here wants to go through the same class story a third time. It gets old after a while, and it starts to just get really tedious. The level grind on the planet stories is already annoying enough, since those quests never change, and I'm going through my second Warrior right now, but it's just the same story again and again. I would much rather have new classes.

Another issue is that all the AC's are mirrors of each other, Mercenary/Commando are basically the same class just with different ability names. And your idea changes up the mirror, which means that they'd have to develop new abilities to make those AC's different, which I doubt they'd do. So Squad Leader/Ranger would have to mirror one another, and so would Scout/Fixer.

Now, that's not to say I don't approve of the idea, I do, I would love to see a bit more variety in the Advanced Class options, the game could use a bit more diversity. Wandering around the Imperial fleet and seeing nothing but the Jugg shield over everyone's head is getting annoying.
I am at Peace; for I know Emotion. I have Power; for I also have Knowledge. I have Passion; for I am Serene. I can embrace Mortality; for I know Death, I am balanced through the Force.

Cleet_Xia
12.31.2012 , 02:25 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
Good idea, except

a) They'd have to allow people to move freely between advanced classes whenever they want - which I'm pretty sure they really don't want. Ummm... Why again would they have to do that?
b) They'd face a storm of complaints from people calling them too lazy or too cheap to create new class stories.
That's been going on since launch about everything they've done ~ nothing new about this ~ and I don't think anyone expects this to ever change. But these new ACs would actually fix something that people have complained about. "Why can't I use a ______ on my such and such class?"
c) If they didn't allow advanced class respec and decided that they'd just have to live with all the QQing, there would have to be an option to get an insta-55 character - because, let's face it, no matter how much fun leveling is, no one really wants to go through the grind again and again.
Then Dont - Buy exp unlocks - do 4/5 class missions a planet, solo the heroics, unlock the bonus series on Nar Shadaa, Tatooine, & Alderan. And skip everything else but the class story all the way to level 47 by Ilum.

But most importantly, they'd be giving up their biggest asset: class stories.
They already did that when they went F2P
It's the single most important thing in Swtor and what sets it apart from other MMOs. Without them, Swtor just isn't Swtor. And quite a lot of people would rather wait for a proper class with a new story than simply get the animations of other classes on their own class.
Not even talking about more than 2 new animations per AC - the game already reuses animations between the classes, so we're talking about a handful of new animations.
I still think that new classes are very much a probability and the best way to move forward. A solution like the one you're proposing might've worked for a less story-based MMO, but it's not for Swtor...

Of course, I'm not expecting 3-4 new classes. When the proper expansion comes, it will be 1 or 2 classes tops. This is reasonable, 1-2 classes ~ if ever ~ should be all anyone expects out of a full expansion. VO shot this game in the butt, because it makes it a nightmare to add new classes to the game. New class dialog would have to be added for every FP, OP, new class mission, and maybe even some of the planet missions. Don't forget, whole new classes also require 10 new companions a piece. That by itself would be expenssive.
So, you are assuming that these new ACs would only be played as alts, and that none of them might be interesting to a new player?

How many new animations did the HK -51 comp require? What about using animations from mobs that are not being used by players yet?

Artwork for tech trees is dirt cheap, the backgrounds are recycled, and so are most of the icons. This would require almost no further artwork be added to the game. The shared tress are already there.

They wouldn't be starting from scratch on these new ACs because they still have to support the basic sets of class passive & active abilities. The'y'd have to make changes to the AC/class trainers, and a few buttons to click for training the 16 new spec abilites. But those trainers have the same menu throughout the game, it's a less complicated change than when they added the dreadgaurd/ hazmat venders.

It would probably take them longer to playtest the new ACs than it would for them to actually create them.

I see nothing wrong with adding any option, especially if it is a cheap option ~ that makes it a LOT more likely to happen..

On a side note... has anyone else looted a piece of cunning gear with tanking secondary stats on it? Maybe we could get some toons that actually use those drops.

**EDIT - It's 10 new companions per class added to the game (5 for each faction) **
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

Canino
12.31.2012 , 02:36 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleet_Xia View Post
<---MIND BLOWN
QFT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I love the ideas, and Cleet_Xia, I like your ideas as well. It would be cool, but as others said, it would be a lazy solution. But if they added them, and more class stories....

Any comment from the devs about what an amazing idea this is and that they will implement immediately? I take silence as a sign of how hard your working to implement it, just so you know
STATEMENT: I'm just a simple assassin...I mean bodyguard, master. You have nothing to fear.
---------