Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

People are amazing

Kalfear
12.31.2012 , 03:18 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by ThePasserby View Post
CC means Crowd Control. Not all forms of crowd control have to be about stunning a mob for 60 seconds. Any ability that helps with controlling the situation and hence incoming damage is a form of crowd control ability. A Vanguard/Powertech pulling a mob that's shooting at the healer to within the tank's AOE attacks. A Guardian/Juggernaut pushing a mob off to fall to his death. These are abilities that control the situation and reduce incoming damage.

There is more to CC than just stuns.
Really spliting hairs and reaching

What you describe are class abilities we all hope people know how to use successfully.

I been playing MMORPGs for 20+ years now and CC has ALWAYS been a term used exclusively on longer duration mez/stun/root type spells, not short duration.

Whens the last time you heard someone say

"Hey you go CC that Mob while I CC this mob"
and then you both go and knock Back said mobs
if you say more then zero time, I think your telling untrue stories

CC means long duration movement imparing abilities

Probably always will mean such.
Housing brought me back
now add Paazaak, KotOR#1 swoop bike racing, and more flashpoints and planets

Akiviri
12.31.2012 , 03:40 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Kalfear View Post

What you describe are class abilities we all hope people know how to use successfully.

I been playing MMORPGs for 20+ years now and CC has ALWAYS been a term used exclusively on longer duration mez/stun/root type spells, not short duration.

This. I've grouped/raided enough to say the same. CC is always long-term incapacitators, rather then a 2 second/4 second immobilizer. Those short terms are more for when you're overwhelmed and need a hand quick. Knock back, short stun, finish off one while the other recovers. CC in instances means - keep the most dangerous one immobilized for a minute or something, refresh as needed (key feature of CC at higher levels) - kill off the other 4 or 5, then come back to him - unless some idiot uses an AOE or decides he can solo it before then. Or - the ******* tab-target doesn't REALLY switch and whoever put the CC on hits it with something and breaks it - lol. Seen that happen too, and had it happen to me more than once here already. Annoying to say the least.

Holinyx
12.31.2012 , 03:48 AM | #33
been here since beta, have 4 50s. still have no idea which classes get what kind of CC's. i really have no interest in memorizing class abilities of all the different specs. if someone asks a question, you politely answer it. you don't call them a noob and act an ahole. just because YOU know everything, does not mean everyone else does.

is it really that hard to be nice to people?
Not all Bounty Hunters die screaming like a 4 yr old girl.

Gyronamics
12.31.2012 , 03:59 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by MouseNoFour View Post
Meanwhile whilst leveling my Marauder from 45-46 on the planet Voss.

LFG [Random H4 Heroic]
Merc: do you have any cc?
Me: are you new?
Merc: are you an ńss?

You have left the Heroic area
You have left the group
And you posted this because you think the merc looked bad in that scenario?

Asking someone who's still levelling up about their CC is also a way of finding out if they know about their CCs.

Hell, the whole story is just pathetic, why did you take the piss then leave. Then post it.
Hotwired @ Not Good Enough @ ToFN

Drudenfusz
12.31.2012 , 04:17 AM | #35
Some funny stories here.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

Aaoogaa
12.31.2012 , 04:34 AM | #36
25 hp shadow tank.

Tionnesse geared healer.

I am one of the dps.

The boss on Ilum that vanishes and needs to simply be taunted to come back onto the tank.

Boss switches argo onto the healer who frantically is keeping himself alive. No taunt. Vanish again onto healer. No taunt. Now I am healing the healer since by this time he is out of energy....still no taunt. I run out of ammo Healer dies, other dps dies, I die, tank dies. The tank says, "You're a really *expletive* healer" and leaves the group.

Some players just have no clue.
-I would rather pay for a great game than play a poor game for free.
-Viable and worthwhile are not the same when it comes to class design.
55 Commando - 50 Gunslinger - 50 Guardian
Beta tester...loved the game, hate what it has become.

ThePasserby
12.31.2012 , 05:09 AM | #37

True, I would be annoyed if I tagged a mob and asked a character I know that has a 60 sec stun to CC it and he does something else with it. But crowd control as a concept goes beyond this one specific type.

Regardless, this question of definition is at best tangential to the more pertinent ones of:

1. Is it reasonable to expect other players to know all 8 classes' stun abilities, including knowing that two of them have no stuns?

2. Is it acceptable to belittle players who have no such knowledge?

And in the context of the OP, it was even more egregious because it didn't take place in a Nightmare or Hardmode Operation run, where one could expect the leader to know something about the classes' abilities. No, it was a normal Heroic 4 instance. So, as someone above said, the villain of the story isn't who the OP thought it was.

mokkh
12.31.2012 , 05:34 AM | #38

Not really, don't know what games you've played but in ye olde days of Everquest, CC to a shdowknight also meant non-damage aggro abilities ("hate" spells). In its simplest terms, Crowd control is anything that controls the behavior of one or more NPCs. People may commonly use it to refer to a 60 sec duration stun nowadays, but given how many people misuse acronyms like PST I don't put much credence into modern usage.

Delidumrul
12.31.2012 , 06:11 AM | #39
what i so far saw in this game is that number of ppl thinking that pretending like a smartazz is a virtue is very high. a couple of months ago this happened;
in a warzone with my fresh marauder (full recruit gear and bm chest)

Smartazz - LOL marauder , did u hear bout recruit gear?
me - u talking to me?
Smartazz - yes, go and buy recruit gear
me - are u bling or stupid enuf talking without inspect?
Smartazz - LOL moron go buy recruit gear u have to be more than 14k hp with recruit gear

nartiuslightlord
12.31.2012 , 06:50 AM | #40
Nice Stuff. made a friend a month ago. we ran everything we could with 2 comps and I was having a blast. A week ago I tell him..."BRB my kid needs something" I come back he/she is like, "how old are you bro?" I tell them and he/she is like "that's cool, I respect really old people at your age playing kids games like this" 5 mins later this person un-freinds me and then go's to general making fun of me for be 25 years old and being a perv for playing the game with a teenager.

I'm still dumfounded by that one but meh it happens.
CE VIP

SWTOR Episode I - A New Meme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDaG7YqaV4