Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can a Fully Honed Mandalorian beat a Jedi?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Can a Fully Honed Mandalorian beat a Jedi?

Beniboybling
01.06.2013 , 02:58 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
I'm speaking strictly from the movies, that was his only kill. Ya...you mean that absurd comic where he took on those Jedi bare handed? The ones who seemed to forget that they could use The Force, or the fact that their training seemed to have went completely out the window? Really think on that for a minute Beni....that comic was full of CIS/PIS...I am actually surprised its even canon with the way it was written.
I haven't actually read the comic but I get what you mean. However his Jedi kills are an important part of his back story, as thats kinda of the reason why Jango was taken on by Dooku.

That's why this is so difficult to call, because everyone has a different idea of how tough Mandalorians and Jedi are. I would still count him killing Vosa as reasonable though.

Wolfninjajedi
01.06.2013 , 03:05 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I haven't actually read the comic but I get what you mean. However his Jedi kills are an important part of his back story, as thats kinda of the reason why Jango was taken on by Dooku.

That's why this is so difficult to call, because everyone has a different idea of how tough Mandalorians and Jedi are. I would still count him killing Vosa as reasonable though.
Reasonable yes, but note she was just a padawan who went darkside, and he only beat her didn't kill her that was Dooku. Though he actually should have died before hand, but Zam saved him. Now see him beating Vosa, I can see as alright she wasn't fully trained and went to the darkside thus her emotions were clouding her judgement and all that noise. However if Vosa was fully trained heading to the darkside, and becoming a Sith Lord...without plot going on I really doubt Jango would have survived the encounter.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

StarSquirrel
01.06.2013 , 03:06 PM | #53
I'm speaking strictly from the movies, that was his only kill. Ya...you mean that absurd comic where he took on those Jedi bare handed? The ones who seemed to forget that they could use The Force, or the fact that their training seemed to have went completely out the window? Really think on that for a minute Beni....that comic was full of CIS/PIS...I am actually surprised its even canon with the way it was written.

He didn't really kill Vosa, Dooku did though yes Jango did fight her and beat her though he was outmatched by her Force skills and the like. His only saving grace was his jetpack and weapons(moreso the former) though....infact he should have died before then and was actually saved by Zam.
We should remember that not all Jedi could use the force for telekinesis or at least use it in combat. Corran Horn had NO telekinetic ability and some jedi had to concentrate far more than others. Beyond that, very few Jedi are recorded as being able to use other, more rare, abilities during combat. If the force was that powerful we'd have seen just about every jedi wave their hand and throw a few hundred droids around instead of fighting them off with sabers all the time.
"We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideasóbut we can certainly kill you."

Mandalore the Destroyer

Wolfninjajedi
01.06.2013 , 03:08 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by StarSquirrel View Post
We should remember that not all Jedi could use the force for telekinesis or at least use it in combat. Corran Horn had NO telekinetic ability and some jedi had to concentrate far more than others. Beyond that, very few Jedi are recorded as being able to use other, more rare, abilities during combat. If the force was that powerful we'd have seen just about every jedi wave their hand and throw a few hundred droids around instead of fighting them off with sabers all the time.
They still are trained in CQC and could use The Force in augmenting their abilities even if they can't do the latter they still have their CQC...and were suppose to believe that half a dozen jedi can't? In their training Jedi are taught how to use The Force. Even Horn was able to use The Force to enhance his reflexes.

Beniboybling
01.06.2013 , 03:12 PM | #55
Reasonable yes, but note she was just a padawan who went darkside, and he only beat her didn't kill her that was Dooku. Though he actually should have died before hand, but Zam saved him. Now see him beating Vosa, I can see as alright she wasn't fully trained and went to the darkside thus her emotions were clouding her judgement and all that noise. However if Vosa was fully trained heading to the darkside, and becoming a Sith Lord...without plot going on I really doubt Jango would have survived the encounter.

I mean even Exar Kun fought MTI on his terms, giving him every advantage and Mandalore still lost.
Of course against powerful force users like Exar Kun, any Mandalorian is going to be defeated. But I think at least Jango Fett could kill an average Jedi Knight. I mean he tangled with Obi-Wan and did pretty well (he would have lost in the end of course) But that's Jango Fett, I think against a Mandalorian, a tough one, Jedi Knight would win 85% of the time. The 15% loss being if the Mandalorian could disarm the Jedi and keep them disarmed.

Buy yeah, 85%, maybe even 90% considering what everyone has said. (Then again there was that time when Obi-Wan got owned by two Death Watch guys, but they managed to disarm him)

And for the record, jedi have shown themselves to be kinda average/poor when it comes to unarmed combat, while Mandalorians are experts.

StarSquirrel
01.06.2013 , 03:13 PM | #56
They still are trained in CQC and could use The Force in augmenting their abilities.
I agree with you, the force does enable 'super human' strength, reflexes, and agility. But the Mandos are generally in armor and are lifelong soldiers so they're exceedingly fit and extremely well trained. The jedi gets the edge, but no more than they normally get if you compared a good mando vs a jedi knight. While it's unlikely, the Mando COULD still win. I'd give it like 20/80 odds in favor of the jedi for Hand-to-hand combat.

Edit: I think vs a disarmed jedi, a mando in full armor might actually be more like 35-65 still in favor of the Jedi.
"We're more than just a people or an army, aruetii. We're a culture. We're an idea. And you can't kill ideasóbut we can certainly kill you."

Mandalore the Destroyer

Wolfninjajedi
01.06.2013 , 03:16 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Of course against powerful force users like Exar Kun, any Mandalorian is going to be defeated. But I think at least Jango Fett could kill an average Jedi Knight. I mean he tangled with Obi-Wan and did pretty well (he would have lost in the end of course) But that's Jango Fett, I think against a Mandalorian, a tough one, Jedi Knight would win 85% of the time. The 15% loss being if the Mandalorian could disarm the Jedi and keep them disarmed.

Buy yeah, 85%, maybe even 90% considering what everyone has said. (Then again there was that time when Obi-Wan got owned by two Death Watch guys, but they managed to disarm him)

And for the record, jedi have shown themselves to be kinda average/poor when it comes to unarmed combat, while Mandalorians are experts.
But if jedi are average/poor in unarmed combat, then how come the Exile beat trained Mandalorians on their terms? Or how was Obi-Wan able to beat down Jango? Probably the average jedi is like that sure, but not fully trained ones. It would be rather moronic if warrior jedi weren't able to handle themselves if they lost their saber.

StarSquirrel
01.06.2013 , 03:21 PM | #58
But if jedi are average/poor in unarmed combat, then how come the Exile beat trained Mandalorians on their terms? Or how was Obi-Wan able to beat down Jango? Probably the average jedi is like that sure, but not fully trained ones. It would be rather moronic if warrior jedi weren't able to handle themselves if they lost their saber.
Plot armor, it screws with us all. Remember Obiwan's insistence to Anikan about keeping his saber? Yeah... I'd think there's a reason for it.

Mandalore the Destroyer

Wolfninjajedi
01.06.2013 , 03:26 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by StarSquirrel View Post
Plot armor, it screws with us all. Remember Obiwan's insistence to Anikan about keeping his saber? Yeah... I'd think there's a reason for it.
I think that it has more to due with it being a symbol of the jedi, and pretty much from the start they are trained with using a saber from the get go. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't know how to hand themselves unarmed.

Beniboybling
01.06.2013 , 03:29 PM | #60
Well yes, I would say a Jedi Knight = average and a Padawan = poor. But a Jedi Master = good/expert. However Mandalorian = good/expert as well. So they beat knights and padawans in that respect, and can go toe-to-toe with a Jedi Master (Neither Meetra nor Obi-Wan smacked their opponents down easily) Meetra Surik for one was one of the greatest Jedi of her age, equivalent to a Jedi Master. As was Obi-Wan, however arguably Jango landed as many blows as Obi Wan did in close-combat fighting, and Obi-Wan was defeated by two average Mando's without his saber.

And Jedi often put far too much dependence on their lightsabers, without then they often become far weaker if not defenseless. Its one of their big weaknesses. Which yes, makes them ever so slightly moronic.

EDIT: In the history of Star Wars losing ones lightsaber often leads to epic failing in combat.