Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How long does it take to download SWTOR?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
How long does it take to download SWTOR?

ThatsSoDark
12.28.2012 , 09:02 AM | #1
I just got SWTOR and a brand new laptop for Christmas. Because I've been busy I started to download the game onto my laptop at about 3:00 p.m. yesterday. It is now 10:00 a.m. and the game is not done downloading - it's on the English Assets 1 right now.

The computer is BRAND new, and has barely been touched. It's a HP laptop as well. Is this normal for it to take this long? Should I be worried? My mom is kind of concerned about it, but I can't download the game on my other computers because they are slow and old.

SandsOfArrakis
12.28.2012 , 09:15 AM | #2
It's the SW TOR server. Only game that downloads at a max (if Lucky) 500 kb/sec here. While everything else downloads at around 9,50 mb/sec. Takes about 2 days here as well to download the game So much for my broadband connection...
Írulan (Sage) ~ Jeannedarc (Shadow) ~ Sihaya (Scoundrel) ~ Elysaine (Sentinel)
Rhíannon (Sorc) ~ Gaeriel (Merc) ~ Ìrulan (Mara) ~ Aurorâ (Op) ~ Samus-Aran (PT)
The Corrino Legacy Server: The Red Eclipse

Yaesive
12.28.2012 , 09:36 AM | #3
If it is possible do you own the disks? That would help greatly otherwise depending on your ISP and a few other items it could be a long time or a short time. I know on one of my computers it took 4 hours at home. On another it took 12 so it all depends.
Yaesive | Jo'lin | Fojea
Jedi Sage | Jedi Guardian | Smuggler
Jedi Covenant - Outer-Rim Recon Battalion Formerly Canderous Ordo
"Do or Do Not. There is no Try" - Yoda

SandsOfArrakis
12.28.2012 , 09:40 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Yaesive View Post
If it is possible do you own the disks? That would help greatly otherwise depending on your ISP and a few other items it could be a long time or a short time. I know on one of my computers it took 4 hours at home. On another it took 12 so it all depends.
Having a 2,5 year old PC and a shiny new laptop with up to date hardware. On both everything downloads with nearly 10 mb/sec. Steam games, usenet, downloads from sites. Everything. Except for SW TOR. Pretty sure it's not my ISP or my computers.
Írulan (Sage) ~ Jeannedarc (Shadow) ~ Sihaya (Scoundrel) ~ Elysaine (Sentinel)
Rhíannon (Sorc) ~ Gaeriel (Merc) ~ Ìrulan (Mara) ~ Aurorâ (Op) ~ Samus-Aran (PT)
The Corrino Legacy Server: The Red Eclipse

Adric_the_Red
12.28.2012 , 01:43 PM | #5
It's not the fault of the SWTOR servers. My old "desktop" machine downloaded the game at over 3.5MB/s (over 25mb/s) over my wired connection. My somewhat less old laptop downloaded at over 2.5MB/s (over 20mb/s) over my WiFi connection.

And at those speeds, it didn't take terribly long. There was a bit of a wait, since the full download was something over 20GB (over a year ago). But patches download in just seconds. Installing the patches after they're downloaded takes far longer than downloading them. But it's still not very long.

JoeJJohnsonII
12.28.2012 , 06:21 PM | #6
I let the download run overnight. During peek hours it was downloading around 250kb/s. Around 1am the download speed ramped up to 3-4Mb/s and finished in a couple of hours.

Rooff
12.29.2012 , 10:41 AM | #7
my I-7 desktop took 3 days to download

my I-5 laptop did it overnight

SirBlueUk
12.29.2012 , 11:12 AM | #8
my has been downloading all day, almost makes me want to give up

Gidrea
12.29.2012 , 11:42 AM | #9
The download speed will vary during the download. I got it all in about three hours, but many of my friends have taken days. It's the SWTOR server, not your ISP.
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Randava - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

SirBlueUk
12.29.2012 , 03:35 PM | #10
Ok thanks for the heads up I have 100meg broadband