Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

End Game Crafting Changes for RotHC

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
End Game Crafting Changes for RotHC

Rincewend
01.02.2013 , 08:05 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Autorch View Post
Here's that other reply I said I'd make. BTW I also agree with the above poster on the ability to share gear across Legacy. That may be a bug that they decided to call a feature, but I think it should be a full-on feature for subscribers.

Some ideas to make crafting more relevant for those who don't have access to the highest raiding tier stuff:

Armstech:
Can make BOE mainhand/offhand combos that have a 2-piece set bonus to them.
Can make up to rating 136 (Columi) BOE gear for others.
Can make 2 rating 140 (Rakata) gear for self--weapon and offhand.

Synthweaving:
Can make BOE belt/bracers combos that have a 2-piece set bonus to them.
Can make up to rating 136 (Columi) BOE gear for others--all products.
Can make 2 rating 140 (Rakata) gear for self--belt and bracers (can already do this, no real change needed).

Armormech:
Can make BOE belt/bracers combos that have a 2-piece set bonus to them.
Can make 2 rating 140 (Rakata) gear for self--belt and bracers (can already do this, no real change needed).
Can make the 23-26 series barrels, either learned from trainer or RE'd for.

Artifice:
Can make no-alignment-required relics ranging from 1-50.
Can make BOE relic pairs that have a 2-piece set bonus to them.
Can make 2 rating 140 (Rakata) gear for self--relics (can already do this, no real change needed).
Can make the 23-26 series hilts and enhancements, either learned from trainer or RE'd for.
Can RE Cartel Market color crystals to learn schematics.

Cybertech:
Can make up to rating 136 (Columi) BOE gear for others.
Can make the 23-26 series mods and armorings, either learned from trainer or RE'd for.
[Cybertech already has grenades for self, as well as all the new droid and ship parts schematics, plus vehicles. No further changes are warranted IMO; if they simply got more of what they can already do, they'd be fine. ]

Biochem:
Can make up to rating 136 (Columi) BOE implants for others.
Can make implant pairs that have a set bonus.
[No further change. Already has the full suite of Rakata stims and adrenals they can make for self, as well as the Exo schematics for others.]

Admittedly these changes would put the Mission Support Vendors for modifications largely out of business, but so what. They're basically out of business anyway, as they're in the same boat as crafters--the game is handing you better stuff for free or very little play to get, so why would you blow dailies on those items. Those vendors need to start selling better poop or get another job.
^^This completely, but to let you know the new Ship Items on Cyber are pointless to craft, since everyone can get them off the Cartel market for cheap (compared to the mats needed to craft all of them). Also the Speeders are alos useless to craft, when you can buy cartel market speeders (the are good for all 3 levels) for 5k. I would spend more on the mats just to craft a level 1 speeder.

TherealDUKE
01.02.2013 , 10:05 PM | #32
With 5 new levels crafting has to change. I agree with the OP suggestions mostly. But what I want to see is more like custom set bonuses.

+ X movement speed ( augment to legs and boots)

+ Y out of combat health regen (implant)

Stealth detection buff

Stealth buff

A bonus to your weapon to apply a bleed ( relics do something like this already)

Bonus to one particular attack (saber strikes restore 1 force)

Just some examples

Make it something like an augment that you attach to a particular item that upgrades from RE on a low percentage. As levels go up with expansions later the possible bonus goes up. Make enough different ones and scatter the schematics thru various contents and modes, hopefully it would force players to focus themselves on one particular bonus and not have to many people making the same thing.

Also modular armor components that let crafter design unique armor. Kinda like dyes but better

When I play RPGs now I want to make a "no #%^* unique character" that you can't guess how I'm gonna play by looking at my stance.

Orlesian
01.03.2013 , 07:20 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaskali View Post
I agree with some of these ideas, like rebalancing mission skills and crafting skills, but I think you have the problem backward.

The real problem with SW:TOR crafting is that it has been reduced to an auxiliary reward system for raiding.

A good crafting system rewards players for spending time and effort mastering tradeskills. Luck may play some role in this, but the overall rewards for crafting should be roughly proportional to a player's investment in crafting. The crafting system in SW:TOR is broken because it rewards players for raiding, with no relationship whatsoever to the time or effort they have invested developing their tradeskills. The players selling the best hilts on the GTN should be the ones who invested the most time and effort honing their craft and acquiring materials, not someone who powerleveled artifice a couple days ago because no one else in the operations group could RE hilts.

The fact that the riffraff can forgo gear upgrades to buy stim schematics with their hard-earned Black Hole Commendations or gamble several thousand Fleet Commendations to get the Molecular Stabilizers to pay a raider to push a button and craft them new barrels is not a problem; it is one of the only redeeming features of the current system.

Contra the OP, the best thing BioWare could do to improve the crafting system is to completely separate crafting from raiding and raid rewards.

Whatever its problems, the crafting system at launch provided a meaningful independent path to gear progression with significant depth and time/resource gating. A player who invested enough time and credits to learn tier two recipes and craft augmented versions of these could produce something that was roughly comparable to Tionese gear. Select BoP pieces were best-in-slot when augmented. The players selling the best earpieces of the GTN were the cybertechnicians who invested the most time and Mandalorian Iron crafting and reverse engineering items to produce augmented versions of earpieces with the most highly sought-after tier two affixes. They had no artificial advantage over other cybertechnicians.

The introduction of augment kits, the ability to remove mods from endgame gear, free Tionese gear for all level fifty players, and the paucity of new trainer- or schematic-taught recipes to keep up with new raid gear have all conspired to render SW:TOR crafting a reward system for the handful of players who, ironically, don't actually need any of the gear they learn to craft by reverse engineering operation drops (else they would use it instead of reverse engineering it).

Do not get me wrong: I fully support each of these developments (except for the part about the lack of new schematics), and I doubt BioWare fully foresaw what they would do to the crafting system. Nevertheless, the current system rewards raiding rather than crafting and it gives those who already have the largest advantages the ability to monopolize realm economies at the expense of everyone else. If you think raiders are not rewarded enough for what they do, tweak operations drops. Do not continue to make endgame crafting contingent on reverse engineering operations gear (or prohibitively expensive crafted gear that someone else learned to make by reverse engineering operations gear).

If BioWare wants to develop a functional, compelling crafting system and foster healthy realm economies what they need to do is separate crafting from raiding altogether, not further marginalize and exclude those of us who do not raid by making every aspect of end game crafting the exclusive province of raiders.
^ So much this!
❤ Please make Talos Drellik a romance option for female Inquisitors ❤
Red Eclipse