Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frusterated with Level cap increase

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Frusterated with Level cap increase
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Podge
12.19.2012 , 12:15 PM | #51
I don't think gear will matter... a lot of 50 mains are kitted in the Ops gear which goes as high as Level 63 for Dread Guard. Will we start seeing Orange/Purples drop up to 55? Probably, but its not necessarily such a bad thing as we're only looking at Tionese/Columni equivalent... stuff people can easily enough farm from story-mode ops anyway.

What the level cap will do is give a boost to your character stats as well as 5 more skill points for the tree, so it's a first step towards the clamoured for 'dual spec'.
UNRELENTING
Republic: Gavriel / Naomi / Clarisse / Naomie / Wily-Coyote / Zerri

Imperial: Loamie / Gaviral / Paran / Mandria / Noami / Naomisse

darkov
12.19.2012 , 12:15 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Hi everyone! While we can't address every concern raised in this thread right now, we can reassure you that the gear you've obtained in our current endgame will continue to be relevant after the expansion is released, and it will provide a great bootstrap into the higher-level content offered by Rise of the Hutt Cartel. You won't be replacing your Dread Guard gear with gear you pick up as you level, and thanks to improvements in the way item power is calculated, we won't be handing out any entry-level gear at the new level cap. You'll hear more about RotHC as we approach its launch, and we'll continue to answer questions and provide more details!
This to me implies that Makeb is going to provide gear somewhere between Tionese and Campaign/Dreadguard, to ensure there is still a viable endgame progression from the operations.

The gear has to be better than Tionese, as they've just given that to everyone who hits 50, but from Allison's post, worse than what you get from Operations.

dipstik
12.19.2012 , 12:20 PM | #53
improvements to the way item power is calculated?

i smell a combat design dev blog coming.

so we are going to do this planet chain and we wont be getting new gear... or we are getting some weird new stat...?

KingofGob
12.19.2012 , 12:59 PM | #54
Smartest idea I've seen in an mmo if I understand where they're going with it:

"You won't be replacing your Dread Guard gear with gear you pick up as you level, and thanks to improvements in the way item power is calculated, we won't be handing out any entry-level gear at the new level cap."

I take this to mean that the first tier after the expansion will be tuned to dread guard gear. This means the old operation content will not be obsoleted as it can still be used to get gear that is useful after the expansion. It also might mean that leveling up to the new level cap by operations may be viable. This is something other games have been afraid to do (Oh yeah, your Naxx gear is worse than this quest green in hellfire) and this really excites me.

One scary thought though: Does this mean we won't see another operation until Makeb? Now that would be a slap in the face.

Kubernetic
12.19.2012 , 01:07 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
Still, why exactly are level caps needed?

New content can still be generated, new gear be given out, new shineys

People would play new operations and warzones for other reasons. Suppose they offered new ships, new companions (people are doing HK content), new TITLES (people love that stuff), New emotes, There are so many new toys that we could get as drops and stuff or purchasable items, i just dont see why level increases are needed to enjoy new content. People love to show off there junk items as long as they are rare or have to be acheived. Just look at the money people paid to get that flying throne, now what if there was a rare flying mount at the end of EV, people would love to get that thing.

Again, i could be missing something. I suppose it would be neat to have 5 more points to go in a skill tree.
We have a lot more abilities in our skill trees to obtain. Giving us another 5 levels of advancement allows us all to add 5 extra skills to our repertoire. This will have some pretty interesting effects in the game, not only in PVE but especially in PVP.

I can't wait. I have felt like I needed just a few more points on my trees to make a nice build, and I'm looking forward to it. Toons with a healing spec can add a little more healing abilities into their mix. Or healers can add a little more dps to their mix. DPS toons can just overkill with more DPS. Tanking toons can add more DPS in, or can add more tanking abilities in.

We'll be seeing some new interesting hybrids. Again... can't wait!
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

mothear
12.19.2012 , 01:09 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by KingofGob View Post
Smartest idea I've seen in an mmo if I understand where they're going with it:

"You won't be replacing your Dread Guard gear with gear you pick up as you level, and thanks to improvements in the way item power is calculated, we won't be handing out any entry-level gear at the new level cap."

I take this to mean that the first tier after the expansion will be tuned to dread guard gear. This means the old operation content will not be obsoleted as it can still be used to get gear that is useful after the expansion. It also might mean that leveling up to the new level cap by operations may be viable. This is something other games have been afraid to do (Oh yeah, your Naxx gear is worse than this quest green in hellfire) and this really excites me.

One scary thought though: Does this mean we won't see another operation until Makeb? Now that would be a slap in the face.
If you think you will see an operation coming out with Makeb you may well be disappointed.

Urael
12.19.2012 , 01:11 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Hi everyone! While we can't address every concern raised in this thread right now, we can reassure you that the gear you've obtained in our current endgame will continue to be relevant after the expansion is released, and it will provide a great bootstrap into the higher-level content offered by Rise of the Hutt Cartel. You won't be replacing your Dread Guard gear with gear you pick up as you level, and thanks to improvements in the way item power is calculated, we won't be handing out any entry-level gear at the new level cap. You'll hear more about RotHC as we approach its launch, and we'll continue to answer questions and provide more details!
Thanks. I hope that there will be a mechanism that alows for an easy transition at level 50 from Correllia to Makeb gearwise and that there won't be a long grind in between ( thinking about alt progression here ). To support this will quest reward gear and or comm mods make up for any gear level gap?

DAMossimo
12.19.2012 , 01:15 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Thanks. I hope that there will be a mechanism that alows for an easy transition at level 50 from Correllia to Makeb gearwise and that there won't be a long grind in between ( thinking about alt progression here ). To support this will quest reward gear and or comm mods make up for any gear level gap?
No doubt you'll be able to purchase T7 Ship Ge...err...rather, Super Duper Cartel Gear to get you started on Makeb from the Cartel Store for a "reasonable monetary investment".

Angedechu
12.19.2012 , 01:24 PM | #59
And this is the rise of the level cap. I see two pitfalls (potential) with it

1)The level cap is not game-changing IE you do not gain new abilites or talents. The boss just hit harder, you can just equip 55 gear. According to the game designers, you can thus keep doing current content with ''non expansion'' players, even if you are not geared up to the task.

2)The new level cap is indeed like a mini expansion. It's like Burning Crusade. There is no realist way to keep playing without buying it. Which would be nice...if there was new content. And honestly, ''a new flashpoint'' or '' a new operation'' should have been among the first thing to announced about the expansion.

johnxtreeme
12.19.2012 , 01:30 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by DAMossimo View Post
No doubt you'll be able to purchase T7 Ship Ge...err...rather, Super Duper Cartel Gear to get you started on Makeb from the Cartel Store for a "reasonable monetary investment".
It's probably going to be very simple. You finish Corellia, go to the Fleet, part of your Chapter 3 Quest Reward is a full set of Tionese gear/mods. Then you get the quest to 'report in to Makeb' or whatever.