Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New expansion; Going to revamp talent trees?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New expansion; Going to revamp talent trees?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DigitalDreamz
12.18.2012 , 12:32 PM | #1
So five new levels gives us five new talent points to spend (assuming). Just looking at the talent trees and having 46 points instead of 41 things are going to get screwy. Right now you can go 31 in a primary tree and 10 in a secondary. Come expansion time you can go 15 in a secondary and grab that 11 point skill. Also with hybrids of any sort it's going to make things even more interesting. If anyone pvps whatsoever, whatever class you thought was OP before holy moly will you hate life now.

Wondering if you saw this beforehand and have a plan or if you're going to 'fix it later'?

Wodaz
12.18.2012 , 12:38 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by DigitalDreamz View Post
So five new levels gives us five new talent points to spend (assuming). Just looking at the talent trees and having 46 points instead of 41 things are going to get screwy. Right now you can go 31 in a primary tree and 10 in a secondary. Come expansion time you can go 15 in a secondary and grab that 11 point skill. Also with hybrids of any sort it's going to make things even more interesting. If anyone pvps whatsoever, whatever class you thought was OP before holy moly will you hate life now.

Wondering if you saw this beforehand and have a plan or if you're going to 'fix it later'?
Nah I believe what someone posted earlier, they'll add some really awesome new skill upgrades with a "Gotta Have it!!!" new ability at the top of every talent tree to help prevent the hybrid situation you're speaking of.....just my two cents.
"Wodaz here! I'm all about havin' fun. You know, get a couple cocktails in me, start a fire in someone's kitchen. Maybe go to SeaWorld, take my pants off. Anyway, I kinda known for my catch phrase WHAMMY!!!!!"

Bigronx
12.18.2012 , 12:40 PM | #3
Well i doubt very much it was designed so there is no progression in talant trees......just like levels and gear and story line you will progress foward at some point.

Getting another ability or 2 isnt going to break a class or the game.

Forgon
12.18.2012 , 12:43 PM | #4
My Sorc is a hybrid between Lightning and Madness, somewhat. One more talent point could go to Death Field for me, which would be well appreciated. Unless these new abilities somehow make Lightning Spec sorcs actually useful in PVP (manueverable) while DPSing, I don't think there is much hope.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

Fleurdelis
12.18.2012 , 12:45 PM | #5
I hope they dont revamp the talent tree. Thats the biggest problem i had with wow. Every expansion they changed the tree and you had to learn to build and play your toon from scratch.

uziforyou
12.18.2012 , 12:47 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DigitalDreamz View Post

The old addage that if something can be tried it will be tried comes to mind. I don't know that Bioware can plan for all the things that players can possibly do with proposed changes which means there will be the inevitable complaints about imbalance, unfairness etc.
"When you're bleeding out in a ditch on some muckball planet it's not headquarters that comes to save you, it's the guy next to you."

DigitalDreamz
12.18.2012 , 12:48 PM | #7
It's 5 total points and yea that's an idea that they could extend each tree to compensate but have they announced doing that?

uziforyou
12.18.2012 , 12:50 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Fleurdelis View Post
I hope they dont revamp the talent tree. Thats the biggest problem i had with wow. Every expansion they changed the tree and you had to learn to build and play your toon from scratch.
Is it really a bad thing to change now and then how different classes play? I personally am okay with that. It keeps the game fresh. So I hope they do revamp the talent trees.
"When you're bleeding out in a ditch on some muckball planet it's not headquarters that comes to save you, it's the guy next to you."

DigitalDreamz
12.18.2012 , 12:54 PM | #9
Engineering / Saboteurs can have four dots now.

1. Corrosive dart
2. Shock Charge / Interrogation Probe
3. Incendiary Grenade / Plasma Probe
4. Shrap Bomb / Corrosive Grenade

Fun times ahead...

AllisonBerryman
12.19.2012 , 12:10 PM | #10 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
We know you're all very interested to hear about how the new level cap is going to affect your class, and I wanted to share a little information about the upcoming changes with you. As part of the new content, every skill tree will be expanding and you can expect significant updates. Players will earn a new skill point with each level, and new skills will be available in each skill tree. Additionally, a new active ability will be introduced for each Advanced Class. We'll have more details about many aspects of Rise of the Hutt Cartel as we approach launch, so keep your eyes on the website and dev tracker!