Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why kill Synthweaving and Armormech with free Tionese sets?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Why kill Synthweaving and Armormech with free Tionese sets?

VigDiath's Avatar


VigDiath
12.12.2012 , 08:48 PM | #11
My first thought was, "What level 50 runs around in level 49 gear when you get recruit gear for free?" Someone already mentioned that tho. Each time I've hit 50 on a toon, I was in pvp gear in no time using that for pve until I could get geared better with Columi or Rakata. In most cases I skipped over the tionese set until they gave it away free.

I make my money on Armormech, Cybertech and BioChem selling level 9-45 gear or the moddable oranges. BioChem i usually only sell items level 40 and under and recently discovered Slicing for my level 31 toon. There's money to be made but not selling the level 50 gear unless its moddable.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

DawnAskham's Avatar


DawnAskham
12.13.2012 , 09:52 AM | #12
Free Tionese isn't the problem.

The problem is the multiple ways the devs have shot crafting in the foot.

Let's start with the fact they never added patterns for Tionese / Columi / Rakata level items that could be crafted and sold to other players (save the very few items like Columi implants and such).

As subsequent content was released, more items of higher levels should have been made available to the crafting community and ultimately the player base. Then they would not need to hand out free Tionese to help fresh 50s in catching up with the gear curve.

Add to that the fact that players can grab drops or buy gear with unused commendations all the way up to current BIS stuff (63), rip the mods, drop it in legacy gear, and pass it to alts.

Thus the market for any gear outside the end-game BIS stuff is only for newer players as alts of longer term / active players players simply get hand-me-down and unused drops that far surpass anything a fresh 50 is able to acquire.

And while this may be unpopular with many, I feel anything that is bound, including the mods, should NOT be able to be passed to alts.

Imagine the end game crafting scene if all skills were able to make items up through Rakata level without jumping through too many hoops, and some Campaign gear with drops from Operations, and no one was able to instant gear their alts by passing bound gear mods through legacy gear.

Cybermeister's Avatar


Cybermeister
12.21.2012 , 04:27 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
Free Tionese isn't the problem.
The problem is the multiple ways the devs have shot crafting in the foot.
.
You forgot to mention the Cartel Market. All those shiny looking outfits on the CM are much nicer than the drab looking robes I can craft as a synthweaver. I am selling significantly fewer items these days - despite reducing prices to almost break-even point*. I have had a few augmented, purple items on the market for literally months. These days it's pretty much only the orange shells that sell at all, and by the time you've bought the component stacks to craft them your margins are lower than wages in a Tionese sweatshop

*big thanks to all the idiots selling items, especially augmented ones, for less than the cost of the raw components

Karkais's Avatar


Karkais
12.21.2012 , 07:08 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Maestrodomus View Post
Is anyone else concerned with this? I've been a Synthweaver (added an Armormech sometime along the way) since launch. I've made a nice sum to support myself and our guild by crafting epic 49 belts, bracers, boots, and gloves for all classes and specs through Synth/Armor. You can make and sell these for reasonable costs and it keeps a healthy economy and money sink flowing.

Why would they kill this by giving every fresh 50 a set of Tionese which renders these useless and leaves Synth and Armormechs with only the annoying augment market to make any money?
Note: most F2P'ers cant use purple gear and by extension Tionese.

But I agree that devs have been consistently and intentionally undermining crafting for a long time now. I want it to stop.

Quote: Originally Posted by VigDiath View Post
My first thought was, "What level 50 runs around in level 49 gear when you get recruit gear for free?" Someone already mentioned that tho.
note: recruit gear is utter garbage for pve. Actually in pvp as well.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

Smiert_Adda's Avatar


Smiert_Adda
12.21.2012 , 06:05 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
Making 49 gear is not a good way to make money off these skills, and never has been. The time or credit cost of materials is huge, and the profit is nil because they're bested by even the lousy recruit set you get for free at 50, or the Tionese that you could get with trivial effort before the free gift.

The only money in these trades is augments and orange sets, particularly low level orange belts and bracers, if you have the creds and patience to camp GTN for the patterns. The mats are cheap to farm, the profit is good because supply is low (due to the stupidly rare drops on schematics for these two slots), and people gearing up alts will pay a healthy price for them because you're only competing with either super expensive legacy belts or the very rare event gear (which, thanks to cash shop, you can be sure we will not be seeing any more of ever, as the current Life Day "event" proves).

So far BW has been so incredibly lazy with the CM stuff that they can't manage to even repaint a couple spare belt and bracer patterns for the $12 recycled twentieth-repaint-of-the-same-old-skin sets they've dumped in there. So for now orange belts are still an easy sell, especially at low levels.

Once that's gone though, it's pretty much just augments. But it's been that way for a long time now. Don't expect to see any new itemization come into the game except through the cash shop, and you can be sure that anything which stands in the way of profit on "new" cash shop junk will swiftly be nerfed, broken, or stealth patched out of the game to make way for it.
Too true, and as they slowly Customise everything we will lose more of the market. Take them customising Shield generators and all that next it will be earpieces and implants sooo stupid.

Heezdedjim's Avatar


Heezdedjim
12.29.2012 , 10:24 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
So far BW has been so incredibly lazy with the CM stuff that they can't manage to even repaint a couple spare belt and bracer patterns for the $12 recycled twentieth-repaint-of-the-same-old-skin sets they've dumped in there. So for now orange belts are still an easy sell, especially at low levels. Once that's gone though . . .
. . . and now it is, thanks to the new six piece adaptive level 1 sets. All those orange sets you spent months farming and buying for Armormech and Synth . . . now worth zippo. I'm still amazed though that they're so unbelievably lazy that they can't manage to make one FULL set of armor for $12. It's twelve dollars per character or companion, at least make these crap sets FULL SETS you greedy bums.

VigDiath's Avatar


VigDiath
12.29.2012 , 12:04 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
Note: most F2P'ers cant use purple gear and by extension Tionese.

But I agree that devs have been consistently and intentionally undermining crafting for a long time now. I want it to stop.



note: recruit gear is utter garbage for pve. Actually in pvp as well.
I don't see how when it has better stats than Tionese gear in most cases. But since I've been playing, I've usually had BM or WH gear for PvE until I was geared well enough for most HM's and Ops groups. Even then, some of the pvp gear has Waaaaaayyyy better stats than some end game pve gear.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

_REDRUM_'s Avatar


_REDRUM_
12.29.2012 , 06:17 PM | #18
I can't speak for Synthweaving and Armormech as they are not my main crew skill.

My main has Biochem while my alt has Synthweaving.

Because I was long gone since 1.1, I have a belief that I won't be able to catch up with endgame crafter. This leads me to low level crafting. I invested time and resources to get 4 purple schematics per implants tier with appropriate stat allocation (mostly toward dps). Then, I sell them on GTN for 3 times the (expected) price to acquire the materials. I notice the market for lowbie isn't very competitive because it gives small profit. Most people buy my crafted implants within a day or two. I could sell blue implant but I think that purple implant is more attractive to people with alt. F2P will probably won't buy much.

The byproduct of this process is a lot of augment slot so I decided to go for Synthweaving on my alt (I pick class that give me +cri Synth and +cri Slicing) With little more effort, I can sell augment kit at lowest market. I sent 500k credits to my alt to unlock legacy crafting perks. Now, my alt gain 500k back. There are still more augment kit that I own. I don't want to flood the market with augment kit because I want to make it look like the supply is low.

To summarize, my marketing approach is to gain small but steady profit while maintaining a low risk. However, I can see the problem with endgame crafting. The endgame is constantly changing so there is a risk that you have to carry. Implant is different from moddable gear because people change implant as they level up.

somersetcace's Avatar


somersetcace
12.29.2012 , 08:22 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Grashopper View Post
Don't forget Cybertech getting thrown under the bus as well, with the best ship parts being bought with Cartel Coins.

All I can say is thier apparent disregard for the community as they chase the almighty dollar never ceases to amaze me.

If only they would wake up and notice that "Free To Plays" don't typically craft. So, the people you are ignoring, or upsetting, are the exact folks you claim to be trying to grow.

"Common Sense Isn't."

Regards,

-GH
I can understand the frustration. Many of us that have been subscribers since the beginning see it. However, keep in mind that these steps they are talking are literally to keep this mmo alive at all. They're going to make mistakes, and hopefully they'll fix them. You're right in everything you're saying, it's just the reality is, they are between a rock and a hard oplace. Hopefully, they'll see things like these posts and get it right. Time will tell. In the mean time, I still make a crap load of credits from farming.

somersetcace's Avatar


somersetcace
12.29.2012 , 08:30 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by VigDiath View Post
There's money to be made but not selling the level 50 gear unless its moddable.
That's exactly right. It requires a slight rethinking in strategy, but you can make a lot of credits keeping it at about lvl 40 or below. The crafting mats alone are rediculously priced at times on the GTN.
Something tells me things aren't going to remain like this anyway. I'd be surprised if we didn't see some major changes by/at the expansion.