Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

rerolling: status of competitive pvp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > The Ebon Hawk
rerolling: status of competitive pvp

lensmo
12.09.2012 , 04:04 PM | #1
I am a competitive pvper on the harbinger, but unfortunately the ranked times over there do not bode well with my sleep schedule. So my friend and I are looking for an east coast server to reroll to.

So please break down on what competitive pvp, specifically ranked, is like on your server. How many teams queue consistently? What are the queue times? What is the skill level of play in ranked (as in do teams only queue when they have perfect team composition and bis wh)? Do teams generally queue with the same 8 players or are they generous in digging down into the reserves? What is the balance between the factions like? And finally, is it a fun, intensely competitive process or does it make you want to bash your face into the keyboard?

thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
~~~~~SIRLEN~~~~~~~~~~LENCOOL~~~~~
<Squirtle Squad> - The Harbinger

wingsofcover
12.09.2012 , 05:43 PM | #2
It's not.
Join The Corellian League HERE

FeralPug
12.10.2012 , 07:51 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by wingsofcover View Post
It's not.
What an awesomely helpful post!

The Ebon Hawk has a large community of competitive PVPers and a vibrant PVP scene. I'd hold individual skill against any server in the game. Just in browsing our official forum, you can see post after post of planned PVP events. There was recently a 5v5 tourney, and this weekend there's a king-of-the-hill style brawl with 30 people duking it out in that tiny pit in the Outlaw's Den.

You can find 50 and lowbie pops starting early every day, and they run back to back until the wee hours. The 50 pops tend to start later than lowbie, but it's probably the same on every server. The competition is of course mixed in these PUG's.

Ranked on the Hawk has been mixed. For awhile we had two dedicated ranked nights a week, and we enjoyed ranked game after ranked game on these nights. My guild folded due to some clutch players leaving the game, so we've been out for a month or more. There are several guilds on both Empire and Republic factions that can field good teams.

Currently I don't think ranked queues happen very often. I can't speak for other guilds, but <Hex> is rebuilding a team for ranked play. We're excited to get back into it. We'll be back at hosting ranked nights soon.

One of the biggest hurdles for ranked PVP has been the gear gap. We faced many willing teams/guilds who we grossly outgeared. The result was not fun for either team, and very discouraging for those who are undergeared. This gear gap contributed to our current lull in ranked games on our server. 1.6 is making the gear gap trivial, so I'm expecting ranked to be rekindled.

Honestly though, I think you'll find this story on any server you visit: ranked play is simply not happening in SWTOR on a regular basis.
Jerc Starr Jercules Jercenary
Social 1. Valor 100.

<Hex> www.tehhex.com

Satedbuffalo
12.10.2012 , 10:30 AM | #4
No ranked. Some rare instances of kickball. Fast normal queues. The rare fun/interesting game. Ain't no PvP server.

DarthBror
12.10.2012 , 04:23 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by FeralPug View Post
What an awesomely helpful post!

The Ebon Hawk has a large community of competitive PVPers and a vibrant PVP scene. I'd hold individual skill against any server in the game. Just in browsing our official forum, you can see post after post of planned PVP events. There was recently a 5v5 tourney, and this weekend there's a king-of-the-hill style brawl with 30 people duking it out in that tiny pit in the Outlaw's Den.

You can find 50 and lowbie pops starting early every day, and they run back to back until the wee hours. The 50 pops tend to start later than lowbie, but it's probably the same on every server. The competition is of course mixed in these PUG's.

Ranked on the Hawk has been mixed. For awhile we had two dedicated ranked nights a week, and we enjoyed ranked game after ranked game on these nights. My guild folded due to some clutch players leaving the game, so we've been out for a month or more. There are several guilds on both Empire and Republic factions that can field good teams.

Currently I don't think ranked queues happen very often. I can't speak for other guilds, but <Hex> is rebuilding a team for ranked play. We're excited to get back into it. We'll be back at hosting ranked nights soon.

One of the biggest hurdles for ranked PVP has been the gear gap. We faced many willing teams/guilds who we grossly outgeared. The result was not fun for either team, and very discouraging for those who are undergeared. This gear gap contributed to our current lull in ranked games on our server. 1.6 is making the gear gap trivial, so I'm expecting ranked to be rekindled.

Honestly though, I think you'll find this story on any server you visit: ranked play is simply not happening in SWTOR on a regular basis.
Yea ^ what he said +1 Jerc
MORT: Ganster of Love
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

WeadonismyMaster
12.11.2012 , 11:56 AM | #6
I just rerolled from a PVP server to take advantage of the great RP community here. The pace and skill of PVP on this server is junior varsity. I doubt the ranked will deliver what you are looking for. That said, if you want to enjoy the game as a mmoRPG you will not find a better group of people.

FeralPug
12.11.2012 , 12:31 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by WeadonismyMaster View Post
I just rerolled from a PVP server to take advantage of the great RP community here. The pace and skill of PVP on this server is junior varsity. I doubt the ranked will deliver what you are looking for. That said, if you want to enjoy the game as a mmoRPG you will not find a better group of people.
Have you played a ranked game on TEH against a high-rated guild?
Jerc Starr Jercules Jercenary
Social 1. Valor 100.

<Hex> www.tehhex.com

kloma
12.11.2012 , 03:31 PM | #8
id back game genie or hex against anyone out there, let alone the kind of teams you get when the damn imps mix and match.

Moontayle
12.11.2012 , 05:26 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by WeadonismyMaster View Post
This speaks of ignorance. You, sir, haven't experience ranked on Ebon Hawk. I'd put Game Genie against anyone on any server followed quickly by Empire and Guerrilla.

What Jerc says is largely true. Ranked is mostly dead on this server except for a few rare occasions, and the gear gap has turned off people from trying it because let's face it... recruit and BM don't cut it. Skill gaps remain but the individual skill on some of the top players on TEH is insane.

SWTOR's problem with Ranked is that they based it off the ELO system which only works if there's a large pool of players to pull from. I'm sure you all know this though. Until they expand the pool for ranked, ala Cross server matches, it's going to be something that just doens't happen all that often, because it doesn't matter what your rank is, you'll always go up against teams with a better ranking (or lesser, depending on your point of view) and have all the fun of smashing your face into a wall while sober.
Triggle - Sith Assassin - Ebon Hawk
My books - Spiral X | White Rock

CatoFel
12.12.2012 , 01:17 PM | #10
Could just be my experience, but there seems to be more disparity than usual on average right now, perhaps because more individual players who haven't PvPed are PvPing right now (from the effects of F2P and 1.6, I'd guess). Hehe, I had one charming soul who berated me for saying "Good try" to the team when we lost a WZ last night that wasn't super-close but was sort-of close. (Apparently I was "congratulating failure.") Guess he wasn't in the couple of Voidstars recently where my team struggled to defend our own starting platform....

Anyhow, the point being, I can confirm from the receiving end that there are some very competitive folks out there tearing me to shreds in a matter of seconds (I'm an endurance-heavy sniper almost entirely in augmented WH, for what it matters) and coordinating very effectively as teams, particularly 'pub-side. And regardless, as long as you're in there with a friend or two, even losing with a PUG you get some good fights and good fun on a reasonably regular basis.
Harbingers of the Sith'ari
The Ebon Hawk
"Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself."--John Adams